Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Things to avoid while taking Clomid & Soy

Joined 23-Jan-09

Top Poster
20-Jun-09 7:33 am

I have been on Clomid for 2 cycles (I'm currently in the 2WW of the 2nd cycle), and I just came across a few threads discussing things to avoid when taking Clomid.  I was unknowingly doing some of these things for the past few months and am hoping they did not affect my attempt this month.  My OB will only give me Clomid for one more cycle, so I just want to be sure I'm doing everything right (in case I don't get preggers this time).  I also thought a list might be helpful to some of the other ladies on Clomid.  So, these are the things I think you shouldn't be taking...

1.  Peppermint tea

2.  Saw Palmetto

3.  Possibly cranberry b/c it thins the blood and may make implantation more difficult

Any additions would be appreciated!

Baby Boy Anthony 4/10/04

Baby Boy Nicholas 4/4/07

Heartbroken  March & April 2009

expecting twins in June 2010 (waiting to find out the sex/sexes)

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2531cd

Joined 11-Feb-08

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

20-Jun-09 9:10 am

The main one is vitex.  The best thing to do is ask your doctor what you can and can't take but thanks for starting this list!  

Joined 23-Jan-09

Top Poster
20-Jun-09 10:17 am

Michaela:
The best thing to do is ask your doctor

The only problem with that is that I have not told her about the fact that I'm swaying. Worried

Baby Boy Anthony 4/10/04

Baby Boy Nicholas 4/4/07

Heartbroken  March & April 2009

expecting twins in June 2010 (waiting to find out the sex/sexes)

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2531cd

Joined 11-Feb-08

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

20-Jun-09 10:37 am

Hookie:
The only problem with that is that I have not told her about the fact that I'm swaying. Worried
You could just tell her that you were taking herbs to try and regulate your cycle before you started the Clomid and you were wondering if any of them should not be taken with Clomid.  Just hand her a list of all the supps you are/were taking and ask her if they are okay.

Thank God

Joined 4-Nov-08

Top Poster
20-Jun-09 11:30 am

I remember Tamara said that supplements with phyoestrogens are not allowed with clomid as they may delay O even wont make you o like EPO, Soy IV, and more.. i'll check and post back

Joined 11-Feb-08

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

20-Jun-09 5:03 pm

Palms:
supplements with phyoestrogens are not allowed
This is correct.  They will actually cancel out the effects of Clomid so you can't take them together.  This does include soy isoflavones as well as other soy products.  If you take soy isofalavones one month you need to try and avoid soy the rest of the month.  Two to three ounces of tofu or a glass of soy milk [daily] is enough to add 40 to 60 mg of isoflavones to your diet so you really need to stay away from soy.  Here is a list of foods that contain phytoestrogens but I don't know how much.  Soy is the biggest thing to worry about.

Isoflavones Soy beans, tempeh, tofu, soy milk. Soy sauce is not a significant source of
isoflavones and is high in sodium.
Flavanols Onions, lettuce, tomatoes, red wine, green tea
Flavones Apples, green tea
Flavanones Citrus peels
Lignans Flaxseed or flax flour, lentils, small amounts in garlic, squash, asparagus

Here are a few supplements that have phytoestrogen in them:

• Red clover, a source of isoflavones
  • Dong quai or angelica, which contains coumarin, an anti-coagulating agent
  • Flaxseed, source of lignans
I would probably stay away from black cohosh as well.

Joined 7-Dec-08

Top Poster
4-Jul-09 11:50 am

thanks for adding this b/c when I took clomid I was wishing that they had some kind of guide like this to know what not to take with clomid.Very helpful.Agree

Baby Boy-03 Baby Boy-06 hoping-Baby Girl April 2015

Joined 21-Apr-07

15-Aug-09 1:24 pm

this is only while taking the clomid for the 5 days right?.

Baby Girl 93Baby Girl97Baby Girl99Baby Girl02 TTCBaby Bear BoyPray

Joined 11-Feb-08

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

15-Aug-09 1:39 pm

No it is for the follicular phase.  You can take whatever in the luteal phase as long as it is safe for pregnancy.  I would ask the doctor to make sure though.

Joined 5-Oct-09

5-Oct-09 12:48 pm

I'm new here, but I just wanted to say that I took red clover with 100mg clomid days 3-7.  It was my 36th month TTC and the only thing that was different from every other cycle was the red clover tablets that I took.  Many of the studies on red clover containing phytoestrogens hadn't been done or published at that point so I had no idea that it contained them.  With all that being said, I've always felt that taking the red clover directly assisted in conception.

While on clomid my CM was sooo acidic that it would kill every swimmer there was!  The red clover changed that and raised my pH into a more normal range and we conceived a girl.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for informational purposes.

Mindy, 27 Heart Paul, 26

Baby GirlHaley Rose, 3-16-02  Baby GirlCharlotte Jo, 10-9-08

TTC again in Jan/Feb of 2010, hoping and praying for blue!

Joined 11-Feb-08

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

12-Oct-09 12:44 pm

False Unicorn Root is another one you can not take with soy or Clomid.

Joined 11-Feb-08

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

12-Oct-09 12:55 pm

Here are more herbs you can't take with soy or Clomid...

Agave root, black cohosh root, black currant, black haw, chasteberries, cramp bark, dong quai root, devil's club root, false unicorn root, ginseng root, groundsel herb, licorice, liferoot herb, motherwort herb, peony root, raspberry leaves, rose family plants (most parts), sage leaves, sarsaparilla root, saw palmetto berried, wild yam root, yarrow blossoms. 

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

12-Oct-09 1:15 pm

Michaela:

False Unicorn Root is another one you can not take with soy or Clomid.

I heard it is safe with both Confused Huh?

dddd ds
My IG Blog.................... 7 Sway Factors: Diet, pH, Minerals, Hormones,
Swaying E-book .............................Ions, Supplements and Timing
...........................................................They are all linked together
Other diets:

Joined 11-Feb-08

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

12-Oct-09 1:58 pm

LOL I'm sorry I seem to have accidently created a cat and mouse game on ig today.  I explained more on the other thread.  but your last link explains it the best.  FUR has steroidal saponins which is slightly differenent than photoestrogen

dddd ds
My IG Blog.................... 7 Sway Factors: Diet, pH, Minerals, Hormones,
Swaying E-book .............................Ions, Supplements and Timing
...........................................................They are all linked together
Other diets:

Page: of 2