Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Ovaries determine Gender...anyone with one ovary and both genders???

Joined 2-Jun-07

10-Jun-07 8:08 pm

O.k. I'm really starting to think there is some truth to this...here's why.  With my dd (8 years ago) I know I ovulated from my left.  I had a DS next, which I don't know which side.  I went through a couple of years following ttc and went to an RE.  At one point, I was overstimulated with the meds and I know that my left ovary hasn't really worked since (I only ever feel ovulation from the right side now).  So, I went on to have another DS and now prego with my 3rd DS. So, are my chances of having another DD gone???  considering my left ovary doesn't work anymore?  Has anyone out there had a boy and girl from the same ovary???  I do think that some people have right ovaries that produce girls but I doubt that their left would give them a girl too...in my case, my left produces girls and my right produces boys...get it?

I searched the net over looking for anything about this and I just can't find anything.  I feel doomed...

EB

Joined 4-Nov-06

Top Poster
10-Jun-07 8:17 pm

I wouldn't worry.

Many women who go through IVF have both genders from definitively one ovary.

My concern is that both my ovaries only produce boys. LOL

14 9 7 5 b/d prematurely almost 2 due July 19!

Joined 7-Mar-07

10-Jun-07 8:41 pm

That is very interesting!

I have no idea, but just thought I'd let you know that it IS a curious observation.

Hope some people know about it.

My sister only ovulates from one side and has two boys.  I have no clue which side my two boys came from.

Joined 9-Mar-07

Top Poster
10-Jun-07 8:46 pm
its interesting that you brought that up.  my mom insists that some of our relatives who only had 1 ovary had only daughters because of it.  now i dont know which over didnt work, so i cant comment on right or left ovary thought.  

she also talks about a male cousin who had german measles at a young age and ended up only having boys---6 of them.  i sort of believe that theory more because the male determines the sex of the child perhaps something  happened to his ability to make female bearing sperm.  i dont know if he was ever tested to see what his % of x and y were, and i doubt he will because his baby making days are long over.  

then we have we also know someone who had trouble with one of his testicles as a child and had to have surgery, and ended up making only girls.  

so, i dont know what to think.....   if you ask my mom, she'd tell you that one ovary means ONLY girls.  i do not know anyone who has 1 ovary and both genders.

i look forward to reading more responses about this topic.

Sara

Joined 27-Apr-07

10-Jun-07 9:49 pm

How would one find out if they only ovulate in one ovary?

Joined 21-Jul-05

Forum Leader
10-Jun-07 10:56 pm

Totally not true. 

The egg does not determine gender, the sperm does.  It's biologically impossible for an egg to provide anything but an X chromosome.

During my MicroSort IUI, I had only two egg follicles, both on the same ovary, and I had boy/girl twins.

Women who have had one ovary removed can have both genders. 

Too bad this isn't true, though, because you could sex selection with plain IVF without needing MicroSort or PGD -- you would just get eggs from the "X" or "Y" ovary!

Mom to And Microsort/IUI twins!

Joined 18-Apr-07

Top Poster
11-Jun-07 12:23 am

Yup Mureen is right...shocking I know. This theory has been disproven although it was highly touted back in the day of our grandparents (or at least mine) Good luck!

KD

KD , Mommy to 2 amazing Baby Boy Baby Boy and precious twin Baby GirlBaby Girl, thanks to Dr. Potter!

Joined 7-Oct-05

11-Jun-07 5:27 am

Hi all,

I have been awefully interested in this topic few years ago and even did few surveys at babycenter.com. I found this:

Ovaries do have a role and did 'influence' the outcome (not determine tho). Generally right ovary 'helps for' a boy and left one for girl. According to precon chapter of urobiologics.com, if five women with positive eggs (mostly from right ovary) get pregnant, four should have boys and one girl. So it is possible to have both genders from one ovary but the gender ratio is skewed to one side.

april

aprilentice

Joined 21-Jul-05

Forum Leader
11-Jun-07 7:04 am

aprilentice:
According to precon chapter of urobiologics.com, if five women with positive eggs (mostly from right ovary) get pregnant, four should have boys and one girl.

I just don't see any credible evidence for positive and negative eggs, nor any study correlating the side of ovulation w/gender.  The only way to know which ovary is ovulating is via ultrasound, so a study to investigate this would need to include vaginal u/s of women at ovulation.

If that is true,  4 out of 5 accurate is 80%.  For a girl, that's almost as good as MicroSort and better for a boy.  If this worked, you could have "medium tech" sex selection by just being monitored by vaginal u/s to see which ovary was ovulating, and only having sex on months that the "correct" side was ovulating.  Low cost, non-invasive and no ethical issues to complain about.

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

11-Jun-07 8:33 am

If this worked, you could have "medium tech" sex selection by just being monitored by vaginal u/s to see which ovary was ovulating, and only having sex on months that the "correct" side was ovulating.  Low cost, non-invasive and no ethical issues to complain about.

If only it was that simple!!!!!!! 

ddddds
My IG Blog.................... 7 Sway Factors: Diet, pH, Minerals, Hormones,
Swaying E-book .............................Ions, Supplements and Timing
...........................................................They are all linked together
Other diets:

Joined 21-Jul-05

Forum Leader
11-Jun-07 8:53 am

Tamara:
If only it was that simple!!!!!!! 

Yeah... it would be a boon in the cattle industry as well, beef and dairy farmers have a lot to gain by controlling the sex of offspring.  Instead they are using flow cytometry (same technology as MicroSort). 

Joined 5-Sep-06

Top Poster
11-Jun-07 9:13 am
During my hi-tech attempts my right ovary was the most active with the most follicles.  Also, for my BFP cycle where I did IVF the right ovary is where most of my eggs came from I think all but one egg.  Anyway, interesting theory about the ovaries.  Not sure why my right ovary seemed to respond the best to the meds.     TJ

IUI/MSClomid 9/06 BFN

IUI/MS Injectible Repronex 10/06 Cancelled

IVF/PGD/MS Converted cycle 10/06 BFN

FET 12/06 BFN

IVF/MS 2/07 +BFP TWIN GIRLS           

* All Cycles done at GIVF*

Baby BoyBaby Boy Baby GirlBaby Girl

Joined 7-Oct-05

11-Jun-07 12:18 pm

"If this worked, you could have "medium tech" sex selection by just being monitored by vaginal u/s to see which ovary was ovulating, and only having sex on months that the "correct" side was ovulating.  Low cost, non-invasive and no ethical issues to complain about."

May be ultrasonographers never thought this way cuz people laugh when one says ovaries influence gender. May be they will start now. That is why urob had a statement on their website that this idea is many years ahead of medical thinking.

aprilentice

Joined 20-May-07

Top Poster
21-Jun-07 5:12 pm
Sorry, absolutely not possible. The ovum only holds DNA containing the X chromosome.  It matters not from which side it came. 

Baby Boy 8 Baby Boy 5 Baby Girl IG Miracle Baby is two and a half!

Kimberly

Joined 13-Mar-07

Top Poster
21-Jun-07 5:18 pm

Just to chime this in...and really I have no opinion either way on this one.  I haven't read about it...what Maureen says sounds perfectly scientifically sound though.  I do think that positive and negative charges affect things though...but with that said..>I would REALLY have to read on this to say anything more than the following FACT.

My mother in law had only 1 ovary and one fallopian tube.  She could only get pregnant every other month according to her doctor.  She had 3 boys. They stopped after that.

Kimberly Step Baby Boy 10/1998 Baby Boy 7/1999 Baby Boy 7/2004 Baby Boy 8/2007  
Page: of 2