Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Already a Question- Advice Appreciated!

Olivia

Joined 11-Feb-07

Top Poster
27-Jan-09 6:21 am

Hey Everyone- I am desperately searching for some new ideas! 

My middle son Declan is more severely affected with typical ASD out of the 2. This year he starts 2 Full Days mainstream Kindy (with an Aide) and also continues his special "star" kindy for EI.  Declan has real trouble switching off at night. We have tried Deep pressure. We have tried scheduling, We have tried physical activities followed by quiet.I feel as though we have tried everything. Every night he destroys his room- i mean drawers out, clothes strewn, mattress on it's head, it takes me about an hour to clean up everyday. We have Declan proofed his room as much as we can but it's still hard. This I don't mind so much- as a mum that's what you do. My problem is that sometimes it's 2 in the morning he winds down, and sometimes when he is so tired and he can't switch off he just high pitched squeals and cries for around an hour or two (whether comforted or not). It is really distressing for him and us. We really don't want to introduce meds yet if we can help it... he is nearly four but still so little - so precious! I have been researching different things- Has anyone ever used melatonin as a natural calm down? I am at my witts end- absolutely! Any help would be so appreciated. I don't think he will cope with schooling only having 4-5 hours sleep! And he only has the Aussie govt grant for EI for another 2 years so we want to make the most of it.

TIA X

PS- For background, Declan is non verbal, 2b level of PECS,Sensory Hyperstimulated- particularly tactile, vestibular senses. Ta Confused

Liv

HeartbrokenOur Beautiful AbigailBaby Girl 23/9/02 - 12/10/02 We will love you forever and a day!

Aiden (5) Baby Boy, Declan (4) Baby Boy, Logan (3) Baby Boy, Lizzie (1) Baby Girl

~for my 5 cuties~

Joined 23-Feb-08

Top Poster
27-Jan-09 6:53 am
[post removed per this user's request]

Hearts Momma to many precious children who are the loves of my life! Hearts 

Olivia

Joined 11-Feb-07

Top Poster
27-Jan-09 5:31 pm

Thanx very much for your response! We start his bedtime routine at 7:30. He goes to bed around 8:30. He usually doesn't go to sleep until 12 or 2 though Tongue Tied I have been researching melatonin a little bit more- I think I might give it ago?? IDK??? Thanx for your suggestion!

Liv

HeartbrokenOur Beautiful AbigailBaby Girl 23/9/02 - 12/10/02 We will love you forever and a day!

Aiden (5) Baby Boy, Declan (4) Baby Boy, Logan (3) Baby Boy, Lizzie (1) Baby Girl

~for my 5 cuties~

Joined 23-Feb-08

Top Poster
27-Jan-09 5:44 pm
[post removed per this user's request]

Hearts Momma to many precious children who are the loves of my life! Hearts 

Cynthia

Joined 7-Jul-08

Top Poster
27-Jan-09 6:01 pm

This is a presentation on sleep from scientists I know. They report fairly positive findings on Melatonin.

http://card-usf.fmhi.usf.edu/conf_files_07/Sun_BO3_Track4-Promoting_Sleep_(Malow).pdf

DREAM JOURNEY: 28 months 2 failed IUIs, 2 Sway attempts HeartbrokenHeartbroken, 2 IVF cycles = no transfer all abnormals.... Another miscarriage (a girl) .

My blog profiles my journey with God and my story of Healing from Gender Desire...

http://www.in-gender.com/cs/blogs/luv4boys/default.aspx

Olivia

Joined 11-Feb-07

Top Poster
28-Jan-09 6:07 am

Thanx- found it helpful and really informative!!! Have found a health food store that will order in liquid form- Thank you so much!!

Liv

Joined 30-Mar-07

Top Poster
28-Jan-09 9:51 pm

Hi!  We do a lot of "heavy work" with DS2 and it helps so much.  I roll over him with an exercise ball (and I sit on top of it).  He also bowls over Legos with a 5 pound weighted ball.  Your little guy may need more than that.  Some of those types of behaviors can be related to a sensory need.  Have you looked into a weighted vest for your son?  Our daycare is looking at one for DS2 to help him transition in the morning and after naptime.  Do you have any services in place for your son?  I can try to direct you any way that I can. 

My son sleeps better when he does heavy work and gets his sensory needs met before bedtime.  He recently had his tonsils out and his sensory has been out of whack.  The last week has been very difficult.  But tonight he said to my husband, "Dad, I do heaby wouk?"  Of course!!!

I hope that you are getting some good ideas and let me know if you have any questions.

Baby Boy 1997 Baby Boy 2006

Page: of 1