Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Sleep and potty !

Maria

Joined 30-Sep-08

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

23-Jan-09 5:02 pm

Ok so it has been about 3 weeks since we made the transition from the crib to the toddler bed with the 2 rails. I got up this morning to go get DS and he was laying on the floor. So I asked him why he was on the floor and he said that he fell off the bed Mad Furious It seems to be a common thing lately and some times DS will come down in our bedroom and try to wake me up or lay on the floor. Now I am trying to convince DH to get a guard rail to put on the bed so that DS doesn't fall and he refuses. He is just making me sooooooooooo mad and he is pssing me off Angry. We have 2 rails on the top and bottom of the crip but there is a gap between the 2 and since DS sometimes sleeps sideways he falls. I am really at my witts end and don't know what else to do.

Another thing, DS peed on the toiled twice so far and both times I wasn't there to see it and I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I am wondering if he is ready or if he is just trying to figure this potty thing out. He continues to go to the potty and sits there for a second or 2 but that's about it. Do I just let it be and let him do his own thing or do I push him into sitting on the potty every 2-3 hours? I know I have asked about this before so I am sorry if I keep repeating myself. Please don't get mad Cutie

My techno savvy one 2005
My miracle boy 2009
My birthday buddy 2014

Blessed to be a Boy Mom!

Joined 12-Oct-06

Top Poster
23-Jan-09 5:29 pm

fcnavywife:

Another thing, DS peed on the toiled twice so far and both times I wasn't there to see it and I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I am wondering if he is ready or if he is just trying to figure this potty thing out. He continues to go to the potty and sits there for a second or 2 but that's about it. Do I just let it be and let him do his own thing or do I push him into sitting on the potty every 2-3 hours? I know I have asked about this before so I am sorry if I keep repeating myself. Please don't get mad Cutie

How long have you been trying to train him?  I just trained DS#1 about 4 weeks ago.  The first 3 days were HORRIBLE, and by day 4, it was a 360 turn around and we have only had 3 accidients since!  Anyway, he can not go potty if someone is standing there watching him!  He tells me he has to go pee pee, so we run to the potty and he pulls down his pants with or without my help and "trys" to go.  The he tells me he can't.  Well considering he told me he had to go, I doubt that he doesn't have to go now, so I tell him to try again and mommy will be right back.  I walk out of the bathroom and hide around the wall and as soon as I walk around the corner he ALWAYS yells, "Mom I go pee pee!"  It is almost like the pressure of someone watching him is too much and when you remove that, he can relax and go.  Maybe your son has a bit of the same issue.  I would guess that he is ready, but that he is also one that wants to figure it out on his no with NO pressure or pushing, which is tough when it comes to PT.  You are not doing anything wrong.  What you need to decide is whether or not you want to stick with it.  Someone once told me that the child not only needs to be ready for PT but the parents do as well, otherwise the whole process is not sucessful. 

GL, hope it gets better soon!

HotMaMa Baby Boy 2005 Baby Boy2007 Heartbroken2/2004 @ 6 weeks and 7/2009 @ 9weeks

~for my 5 cuties~

Joined 23-Feb-08

Top Poster
23-Jan-09 5:37 pm
[post removed per this user's request]

Hearts Momma to many precious children who are the loves of my life! Hearts 

Maria

Joined 30-Sep-08

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

23-Jan-09 10:02 pm

Hi HotMaMa, we haven't really tried to potty train him. We got a potty and put it in the bathroom so everytime me or DH goes to the bathroom he goes as well but doesn't really do anything. My MIL started first and then when I was in class DH called and said he went pee pee. He is trying to go to the bathroom but he wants to do it on his own terms. He has always been that way you can tell him to pee pee all you want but if he doesn't want to then he won't. I tried putting him on the toilet and sitting with him and teaching him but he just sat there for a minute and then gave up. Do I push him or do I just let it be and work on his pace? Everyone says I am not doing enough and that I am not interested in potty training him do you all think they might be right? Do you think I should be more aggressive? Thank you ! 

My techno savvy one 2005
My miracle boy 2009
My birthday buddy 2014

Blessed to be a Boy Mom!

Joined 12-Oct-06

Top Poster
23-Jan-09 11:51 pm

Well, it is tough for me to really tell you what to do because I am far from an expert and every kid is a little different.  I do think that he is ready, but you need to be ready.  If you are ready, this is what I would suggest, only because this is what worked for us and I have a son, like yours, who likes to do things at his own pace.....

1.  The day we started, no more wearing jeans, elastic waist band pants only so he can learn to pull his pants up and down on his own and we put him in real big boy undies, NO PULL UPS, they are too similar to a diaper.  We had the "Big Boy" talk and there was no turning back!

2.  Watched the clock.  I took him to the potty (and he protested EVERY TIME for the first 3 days) every 45min. or so,  Realistically, he only ever really had to go every hour and a half or so, but it was more a routein at first.

3.  If he didn't have to go, which he never had to go at first, I made him count to 10.  when he got to 10 he could get up. and we tried again later.  This helped him with counting and learning numbers so that was a bonus because now he is counting things all day long.

4.  If he went pee pee, he got 1 M&M and a sticker for his potty chart.  He loved the praise.  If/when he had accidents, we went over the "Big Boy" talk and I would ask him where he goes pee pee, and he would tell me the potty so I knew he was getting the picture.  He got new undies, had to sit on the potty, count to 10 and then we woudl try later.

The first 3 days, as I said, were hard.  He probable only went on the potty 5 times in 3 days.  I was ready to give up and convinced that I made a bad decision because he just was not ready.  Well, day 4, not one accident all day and he was now telling me when he had to go ~ no more watching the clock. 

It was tough for me to push him and easier for me to say he wasn't ready because that was best for me........that was just it, it was ME.  As soon as I decided that I could PT him, he did it.  So you need to first make the commitment to do it, set up a plan that you think would best fit your child, and no mater how tough, stick to it.  You will have to insist or push a little, but he will catch on and if he is praised for it, he will want to repeat the behavior and you will not have to push anymore.

HTH

HotMaMa Baby Boy 2005 Baby Boy2007 Heartbroken2/2004 @ 6 weeks and 7/2009 @ 9weeks

Maria

Joined 30-Sep-08

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

24-Jan-09 12:12 am

Thank you HotMaMa, I will take your advice. We have to go to Walmart today anyways and will get some Big Boys underwear and try them on and see what happens. I do not think he will understand the talk as he is a little behind from other kids his age but we can read the Elmo Potty book as he loves that it makes noises Agree

I think that sometimes I am not giving him enough credit and I feel so overwhelmed with him and no one around to help or guide me so I just let it be. Thank you so very much for all your help. I will implement your suggestions and see how it goes.

THANK YOU AGAIN !!

My techno savvy one 2005
My miracle boy 2009
My birthday buddy 2014

~for my 5 cuties~

Joined 23-Feb-08

Top Poster
24-Jan-09 7:21 am

Maria

Joined 30-Sep-08

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

24-Jan-09 1:07 pm

Thanks Nicki even an acknowledgement works for me so thank you for that. I hope your computer get fixed soon and don't worry about replying we know that you are thinking of us Happy Wink

My techno savvy one 2005
My miracle boy 2009
My birthday buddy 2014

Blessed to be a Boy Mom!

Joined 12-Oct-06

Top Poster
24-Jan-09 4:24 pm

fcnavywife:
Elmo Potty book as he loves that it makes noises Agree

I used this book too!  DS loves to push the buttons while I read the book.  I think I know that book by heart now! 

Honestly, I am surprised that DS PT at all because he has always been on the later end for development milestones as well.  I am also not entirely sure he gets the Big Boy thing, he just knows the diapers are for little guys, like brother, and undies are for big boys like him because mom said so Happy LMAO!  Anyway, good luck, I think that your DS will surprise you and you will feel very proud of him!  Keep me updated!

Maria

Joined 30-Sep-08

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

24-Jan-09 4:53 pm

HotMaMa:

Honestly, I am surprised that DS PT at all because he has always been on the later end for development milestones as well.  I am also not entirely sure he gets the Big Boy thing, he just knows the diapers are for little guys, like brother, and undies are for big boys like him because mom said so Happy LMAO!  Anyway, good luck, I think that your DS will surprise you and you will feel very proud of him!  Keep me updated!

Mine too he was late with everything and he was diagnosed with developmental delays because of his speech and I think they have neglected his other development which I think is more important that language. I thought that they would help him in Special Ed school but they don't do anything just try to teach him to let us know when he wants to go. Well he wants to go all the time because he likes it not because he has to. Since he is an only child and I am at home with him, he only has me and unfortunately/fortunately I can't pee standing up to show him Happy ROFL 

I guess time will tell what happens. Thanks for everything and I will definately keep you updatedAgree

My techno savvy one 2005
My miracle boy 2009
My birthday buddy 2014

Joined 7-Dec-08

Top Poster
24-Jan-09 7:14 pm

HotMaMa:
3.  If he didn't have to go, which he never had to go at first, I made him count to 10.  when he got to 10 he could get up. and we tried again later. 

This is what I did for ds#1 AND NOW DS#2 I would say let's count and I'ld start to count and usually by #3 they were peeing even if they said they didn't need to to begin with.I think it distracts them.

Baby Boy-03 Baby Boy-06 hoping-Baby Girl April 2015

Maria

Joined 30-Sep-08

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

24-Jan-09 7:17 pm

Thanks hoping I will try and do that with DS as well and see how it goes Happy Thank you Flower

My techno savvy one 2005
My miracle boy 2009
My birthday buddy 2014

Bazinga!!!!!

Joined 19-Jul-07

Top Poster
24-Jan-09 8:23 pm

It took us 3 years to potty train DS! yep 3, LOL! he was not ready and forcing him made him constipated and we would take him to the doctors. The docs told us to stop forcing him so we just took cues from him.

Oh and DS is 6 now and fall off his bed all the timeSurprise

Maria

Joined 30-Sep-08

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

24-Jan-09 9:44 pm

sailormoonmomma"]It took us 3 years to potty train DS! yep 3, LOL![/quote]

Wow, see this is what I am worried about so I try not to force him too much and we just take it day by day. I think on the weekdays I will just let him take charge and on the weekends we will try and take a more aggressive approach. It is hard to figure DS out and what he wants, we are still learning Flower

[quote user="sailormoonmomma:

Oh and DS is 6 now and fall off his bed all the timeSurprise

Oh I am sorry, I hope he doesn't hurt himself when he falls that would be bad Sad. DS falls off and comes to our bedroom and wakes us up so I am not getting the sleep that I need to function during the day so I am hoping the rail will fix it. Good luck sailormoonmomma Heart

My techno savvy one 2005
My miracle boy 2009
My birthday buddy 2014

~for my 5 cuties~

Joined 23-Feb-08

Top Poster
24-Jan-09 9:50 pm

Page: of 2