Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Cervix softening question.

Joined 12-Jul-07

Top Poster
17-Nov-08 11:33 pm

Since there are so many terms used in relation to what your cervix does during pregnancy and labor I am really confused!  But I was just wondering if when they say your cervix softens, if it actually means it just feels soft.  Like in compared to it feeling firm and hard to the touch, like the terms they use when you are checking for ovulation?  Or if it means something else?  The reason I'm wondering is because I've been a little worried about the increasing pressure and pain I've been having around my cervix area; so I checked my cervix (after washing my hands well) and it felt very soft, high, and slightly open like what it would feel like while ovulating.  But since I don't normally check my cervix during pregnancy I have no idea if that is normal or not at 32 weeks.  So before your cervix gets ready to start to dialate and efface and all that, is it normally firm like the tip of your nose?  Or is the softness throughout pregnancy normal and has nothing to do with the preparation for labor?  I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, but my doctor won't start checking my cervix until 37 weeks unless I say something.  But I don't want to have him check it on Wednesday, since I'll have my two younger girls with me, unless I have a reason to be worried about early labor and then I may try and find a sitter.  But I honestly keep freaking out about actually having pain and pressure and all of these things I never had with the others (before I was induced after going overdue).  And I don't want to be a hypochondriac! 

Mar 03 Baby Girl
Dec 04 Baby Girl
Aug 06 Baby Girl
Jan 09 Baby Girl
Due Jul 11 Baby Girl

My favorite flower

Joined 5-Nov-06

Top Poster
18-Nov-08 12:51 am

My cervix during pg is super super soft high and open almost a fingertip. I have heard from the dr that if you have given birth vag before your cervix is always a little open.

Baby Girl 9-01 Baby Girl 1-05 Heartbroken 11-07 Heartbroken 2-08 Baby Girl 4-09 Expecting 4-15

Trying for Baby Boysince 9-06 Did ericsson July 30 2008 for a Baby Boy got a Baby Girland 100% in-love with her.

7-30-08 IUI/Ericsson= BFP OHW

Joined 12-Jul-07

Top Poster
18-Nov-08 11:41 am

Bumping for more replies...So is it normal then for your cervix to be soft throughout pregnancy then?  And if so why do I remember being told while being checked with previous pregnancies that my cervix was firm? 

Mar 03 Baby Girl
Dec 04 Baby Girl
Aug 06 Baby Girl
Jan 09 Baby Girl
Due Jul 11 Baby Girl

Joined 17-Jul-07

Top Poster
18-Nov-08 1:49 pm

I have no idea what is normal at your stage of pregnancy . . . but since you're going to the doc tomorrow, I think you should bring it up/ask for a check so you can feel better.

Baby Boy 04 Baby Boy 06 Baby Girl IVF/MS/PGD 08 Baby Boy 13 

Joined 14-Jul-08

Top Poster
18-Nov-08 2:08 pm

I'd ask to be sure, but since this is your 4th pregnancy I'd guess it's normal.

Baby Boy 5 Baby Boy 2 Baby Girl 1

Page: of 1