Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Any tips on dealing with a fabric that ravels really badly?

Joined 21-Jul-05

Forum Leader
24-Oct-08 6:46 pm

Is ravel even a word?  Or just a composer?

Anyway, the fabric I want to use to cover a seat cushion and staple on the bottom ravels really easily, what can I do about this?  Sew a hem on it or is there some kind of tape I can iron on it?

Mom to And Microsort/IUI twins!

Joined 7-Jun-07

Top Poster
24-Oct-08 6:50 pm

Ok I know nothing, but would burning the edges to seal them work with your fabric? That's how to keep rope from fraying so I'm wondering if it works on fabric. Don't laugh too loud if that's a lame idea! ha

Joined 17-Jul-07

Top Poster
24-Oct-08 7:52 pm

I agree with burning or that liquid stuff used on ribbon.  If that doesn't work then yes, I would sew a small hem on it.

Au 79

Joined 25-Sep-06

Top Poster
24-Oct-08 7:56 pm
i think the term is un ravel (but donw know spelling LOL)

mamaof4boys:
liquid stuff used on ribbon.

called fray stop or fray check... you can get it at michaels and probably jo-anns

i would use that and then also hem it just to be extra safe Happy Wink sounds like a fun project!!!

RQ~ 8, err... i mean 32 Baby Bear Boy,Baby Bear Girl,Baby Bear Boy: you'd better recognize!

http://www.ingender.com/cs/forums/p/7093/54561.aspx#54561 here is the link to my TBM success story for #2! I went on to do the same for #3 and added ions/diet/low sodium/etc... #3 is my beautiful baby boy! does swaying actually sway???

hoping for BFPs for all my IG girls!..... lets see those second lines!!!

Bump it B!tches! you know you want to!

a friend will help you move. a good friend will help you move a body.~ anon

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -Catherine-

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies. (Unknown)

Joined 21-Jul-05

Forum Leader
24-Oct-08 8:03 pm

CJ's Kids:
would burning the edges to seal them work with your fabric?

LOL... I am so uncrafty, I'm sure that would end badly!  And I paid $20 for a yard of this stuff (because I misunderstood the sale price) and I'd probably end up with a pile of ashes!

I am afraid when I staple it it will ravel and slip right around the staples.  I think I'm going to try to hem it and look for something I can sew onto it -- some kind of tape? -- then I could staple through the tape?  

Mom and I recovered a little bench that goes at the foot of DD's bed with fabric matching her bedding, and that went really well, but the bench underneath was particle board (easy to staple) and the underside of the piano bench is hard maple... no way i can staple into that.  I'm going to have to figure out something to put under it to staple into.

Mom to And Microsort/IUI twins!

Joined 17-Jul-07

Top Poster
24-Oct-08 8:09 pm

Maureen:
LOL... I am so uncrafty, I'm sure that would end badly!  And I paid $20 for a yard of this stuff (because I misunderstood the sale price) and I'd probably end up with a pile of ashes!

give me coffee and no one

Joined 4-Feb-07

Top Poster
24-Oct-08 11:39 pm

Make sure that you give it a big seam allowance because if you hem too close to the edge it will still fray.

What type of fabric are you using? Is it upholstery fabric? 

I'm asking because it may be beautiful fabric but it might not be suitable for what you want to use it for if it is not a heavier duty fabric 

Off discovering the delig

Joined 16-Mar-08

Top Poster
25-Oct-08 10:23 am

With small amounts of fabric I burn the edges with a lighter.  Burning the fabric seals it. 

Do you know anybody with a serger? They are excellent for sewing a hem on a fabric quickly and neatly. 

Let me know how you get on.

Off discovering the delig

Joined 16-Mar-08

Top Poster
25-Oct-08 10:25 am

sorry if my message repeated pp messges, for some reason the computer didn't put up any of the other replies until after I had replied!

Katina

Joined 11-Feb-07

Top Poster
27-Oct-08 7:03 am

I wish I lived closer, I'd serge it up for you. I would definitely hem it and put bias tape on there.

Mommy to 2 sweet little Baby Boy12/00 Baby Boy 8/03. Baby Baby Girl Rachel born still 9-19-09@26wks, due 12-25-09, 4 other angels, Our Rainbow baby Olivia Faith born 10-8-10 7lbs 2oz

Photobucket

Page: of 1