Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

LH surge question....confusion

Joined 17-Sep-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 11:25 am

I thought that I was catching on to all of this but today sent me in another direction!  Sad

I was checking my LH surge and on Thursday at midnight it showed a faint extra line so I figured that by morning it would be positive which it was.  I used my digital just to double check and it was positive.  All day yesterday I was checking CM and cervix waiting for something........ well nothing changed other than O pains.  So last night O pains were really bad, I checked my cervix, pH and cm the only difference was that the pH spiked to 6.5

This morning I checked LH surge - negative?  What does this mean?  I should have O'd or be Oing but nothing gave me any indication of that other than O pains... well also the Cm is less but this could just be because it is the am?  But the texture/color of the cm did not change at all as well as my cervix?

Please help me what am I not seeing?  Thank you so much for your time in reading my endless questions you ladies are greatHappy Sunshine

Baby Bear BoyBaby Bear GirlBaby Bear BoyBaby Bear BoyBaby Bear Boy EGS Opposite June 23,2011

Joined 16-May-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 11:33 am

keep looking and keep checking...opks tell you you are going to ovulate not that you are ovulating.....i think it can be up to 48 hrs after positive but not 100% sure .....everyone is different some people ive noticed get + on the day they ovulate some are 1-2 days before....so there is chance youve not o'd yet....Happy

are you temping? this will tell you when youve o'd.... but by then its too late.... but least it confirms it...Happy Smile

9.11.08 transfered 2 x Baby Girl BFN  07.07.09 transfered 2 x Baby Girl BFP.... both with UKCFA- heard H/B with my own doppler @ 9w4d.....yay

Joined 17-Sep-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 11:40 am

How do you say obsessive?  That is me!  I am crying my eyes out here because I cannot seem to figure this out!![:'(]

What about the OPK showing negative?  To me that says that everything is done.. is this right?  As much as I love checking my cervix... ok, not so much!  How often does this need to be done?  I am temping as well I have not noticed any change there either!  How many times a day do I need to do that?  I thought twice would be ok.

Thank you again!

Baby Bear BoyBaby Bear GirlBaby Bear BoyBaby Bear BoyBaby Bear Boy EGS Opposite June 23,2011

Joined 16-May-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 11:54 am

im no expert im just as confused as you but i keep going over the posts....the negative means the lh surge has gone but not mean that youve ovulated that could happen in the next day.....i keep looking at other peoples ff to help me Happy Wink and on some it will show they done opk on the day they ovulate and its - ....i hope this helps

for temping its only once a day in the morning before you even get out!!!!! and at the same time everyday......i do mine at 7am....otherwise it will not be accurate....gd lk

9.11.08 transfered 2 x Baby Girl BFN  07.07.09 transfered 2 x Baby Girl BFP.... both with UKCFA- heard H/B with my own doppler @ 9w4d.....yay

Joined 17-Sep-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 12:03 pm

Yes, thank you it does help.  I just assumed that once the OPK showed negative that meant that eveything was finished.  I am obviously way out there in my knowledge.  I guess what is so frustrating is after hours of reading you think that you have it figured out just to find out that you really know much less than you thought!Sad

Joined 16-May-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 12:16 pm

Happy ROFL dont worry about it i get like that.....i think ive got something right in my head then i read a post then i get all confused again Confused   thats why i keep reading the posts over and over again then i stalk peoples ff to see how theres are going thats where i spotted about the opks bein negative on the day of ovulation....Geeked

Joined 3-Sep-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 3:11 pm

BabyBobadoo:

Yes, thank you it does help.  I just assumed that once the OPK showed negative that meant that eveything was finished.  I am obviously way out there in my knowledge.  I guess what is so frustrating is after hours of reading you think that you have it figured out just to find out that you really know much less than you thought!Sad

Just remember that your O can occure at anytime after the +, even if you get a negative after a +

I have a friend, who only gets a + OPK one day, then 2 days of - opks, and O's the 3rd day after her +.

In other words...36+hrs after her + opk. Like the other girls said, it's different for everyone. Some people O on the same day, other don't O until 2-3 days later. 

Good luck!!

Joined 17-Sep-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 4:13 pm

I totally agree!  I think that if you guys could see how many times I go into your posts and read and then re-read I would be certainly be considered a stalker!  Just to really show how little I know.... what does FF mean?  Here I was thinking that I knew all of the abbreviations as well, here I was all smart with my DH saying cool things like OPK and CM and BFN and you throw one at me that I don't know!

Thanks for the info about the LH surge, so is the maximum 36 hours after the surge?  My CM now seems to be non existent does this mean that O is past?  Geesh this is bad!

Blessed to be a Boy Mom!

Joined 12-Oct-06

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 4:55 pm

BabyBobadoo:
what does FF mean? 

FF is Fertility Friend.  It's a free website for charting BBT, CM, CP, ect.  I think most of us use it on here.  You can browse through the Chart gallary and find others with charts like yours etc.  It's kind of addicting.

As far as your LH surge goes, I do think that 36 hours is the max.  I always O the same day as I get a positive, roughly 12 hours later.  You really need to go by your CP and the little CM that you have at this point to tell O.  If you are ttc girl, you are probable in O+12 territory from the sounds of things, so I would get busy! 

THT

HotMaMa Baby Boy 2005 Baby Boy2007 Heartbroken2/2004 @ 6 weeks and 7/2009 @ 9weeks

Joined 17-Sep-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 5:21 pm

Thank you!  I think that FF is now going to be my new best friend!   I am desperetly TTC DD but I am so scared of doing the O+12 as I think that I may of had DS#3 this way so I am waiting one more month to try just to make sure that I have my cycle 100% perfected which I was so scared that I was far away from.  I did't get any EWCM this month at all.  I am drinking cranberry but I did not think it was enough to dry everything up! 

With your CP, I read somewhere that if you bear down that you can move your cervix, would this not change where it is and give you mixed readings?  I so desperately want to do the O+12 but I don't think that I will be able to get the O down to the 12 hour mark.  Is there any other way to check for this as my CM and Cervix are not cooperating!Sad

Thank you so much again for taking the time to read my posts you all are lifesavers!

Joined 28-Jul-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 8:11 pm

OPKs detect the LH surge which occurs 12-24 hours before O. You are supposed to get a negative the next 1 or two days (some people can catch the LH surge on its way down). Crudley speaking, the LH surge kinda tells your body to O. I have a 26 day cycle, and I only get 1 positive OPK and will O 12 hours after. My temps don't change either and thats why I gave up the BBT charting.

Think about your cycle last month. Count back 14 days from AF start and see which CD this puts you at. Then combine that knowledge with when you got your +ve OPK and that should give you a pretty good clue about when you O.

Good luck! 

Baby Girl2007

Baby Girl2009

Peace out IG!

Joined 26-Apr-07

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 8:24 pm

Chart, chart, chart! Agree

"Embrace the life you have, not the life you THINK you should have."

Almighty Creator,

Hear this prayer and the wishes of my heart. You know my deep desire for a child, a little one to love and to hold, to care for, to cherish. grant that my body may conceive and give birth to a beautiful, healthy baby in Your holy image. Guide me in all my choices so that this conception, my pregnancy and my baby's birth are in line with Your will. Heavenly Father hear this prayer of my heart, mind and spirit.

Amen~

Joined 15-May-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 8:48 pm

Babybobadoo,

I will tell you my experience from this month. I was in the same boat as you, got positive OPK but I had no CM ( totally dry) and the cervix hard the whole time. I waited as I thought I have not O yet, then the next day I got a negative OPK. I BD too late and missed my egg but I was scared since my CM and cervix where not changing at all. I saw then the increase in my temperature and knew that I ovulated .

I think BabiesRblessings is very right, the more you chart and you enter all your simtomps around O you will get to know your body better and hopefully next time you pintpoint it better. At least that is what I hope will happen to meHappy

I want very much to do a O+12 as I see it has a great success but I am also scared I might end up right on O.. oh well will try the best.

good luck

05 Baby Boy, 08 m/c Heart ,   Baby Girl Nov 09

Joined 17-Sep-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 9:08 pm

Yeah, I am charting everything but all I seem to write is the same as yesterday.....  I am taking my temp orally as my thermometer  instructions said that I should consult a health care practioner to find out how to do it vaginally.  So that scared me and I decided to do it orally.  I know that this is not as accurate but will it not at least tell me when the temp spikes?

I hear you about being scared!  That is how I had two of my boys..... bding at O!  I obviously don't want to repeat that!

Page: of 1