Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Does anyone know how to make whipped cream cake icing?

Joined 17-Jul-07

Top Poster
17-Oct-08 11:24 pm

I love the whipped cream icing that walmart puts on their cakes and would love to do my son's birthday cake (next month) myself with the whipped cream topping just like the kind they have at walmart.  I don't know the ingredients or how to do it.  I tried to google it but couldn't really find anything.  Any info would be appreciated and helpful!   Would be great if someone knows anyone who works in the walmart bakery!!!

Joined 23-Jan-07

Top Poster
17-Oct-08 11:53 pm

I read that Walmart buys theirs pre-made, but I found this recipe for you.  GL! 

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grocery-Store-Frosting/Detail.aspx

Sometimes on the way to a dream, you get lost and find a better one.

Joined 17-Jul-07

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 1:46 am

Thanks, and if I find more I will be doing experimenting with different ones before the real deal!

Joined 29-Aug-08

18-Oct-08 1:42 pm

If you have a AC Moore or a Micheal's near you....in the cake decorating section there is a dry mix called whipped cream frosting, I know that Wilton brand makes one that is the same thing most commercial bakerys use.  If you want to try your hand at your own, hear is an easy recipie.

Whipped Cream Frosting 

2 cups heavy cream

1 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 packet (2 tablespoons) powdered gelatin (knox or other brand in the pudding/jello section of your supermarket)

1/4 cup cold water 

Before making frosting chill a stainless steel or glass bowl for thirty minutes in the freezer, make sure heavy cream is cold, straight from the fridge.  Put water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top  to soften gelatin.  Put heavy cream, softened gelatin, and vanilla in cold mixing bowl and start beating on low of stand up mixer or with hand held electric beaters, until slightly frothy, add powdered sugar a 1/4 cup at a time while still beating on low, then increase speed of mixer to high and beat until whipped cream consistency.  This doesn't have alot of the stabilizers and chemicals that commercial frostings do, so it is best used the same day it is made. Good Luck!!

Baby Girl 11/03 Molly is a big sister! Baby Girl She is here! 2/9/09

Joined 17-Jul-07

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 2:16 pm

lala land"]If you have a AC Moore or a Micheal's near you....in the cake decorating section there is a dry mix called whipped cream frosting, I know that Wilton brand makes one that is the same thing most commercial bakerys use.  If you want to try your hand at your own, hear is an easy recipie.[/quote] 

I have a Micheal's but would want to try to make the recipe you posted first!!  BUT I do not want anything really sweet like store bought icing.....that stuff is just too sweet.  Is the recipe you posted going to be really sweet or just sort of mild?  I want to try it!!  Sounds good!  

[quote user="lala land:

1 packet (2 tablespoons) powdered gelatin (knox or other brand in the pudding/jello section of your supermarket)

Could you post a pic of this because I have NO idea what it is, LOL.  Oh, and is the cream sold in the section by the milk and it's in a small carton??  I think I have seen that before...  Thank you for the recipe!

Joined 21-Feb-08

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 2:34 pm

mamaof4boys:

Could you post a pic of this because I have NO idea what it is, LOL. 

I'm not her, but I found a picture!

I'm excited to try the frosting recipe from allrecipes.com, so thanks for asking this question!

Joined 17-Jul-07

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 3:09 pm

Thanks, I will try to find some of that at my local grocer.

Joined 29-Aug-08

18-Oct-08 3:10 pm
mamaof4boys"]I have a Micheal's but would want to try to make the recipe you posted first!!  BUT I do not want anything really sweet like store bought icing.....that stuff is just too sweet.  Is the recipe you posted going to be really sweet or just sort of mild?  I want to try it!!  Sounds good!  [/quote] No This is a "grown up frosting" that is not too sweet...I am a pastry chef at a restaurant and use this type of frosting for a "strawberry shortcake type cake" . Most Americans unfourtunanly love that overbearingly sweet junk made with crisco. You can play around with the amount of sugar, start with 1/2 cup and taste it before you get to the whipping stage, add more to your taste, I find one cup usually is about right for most people, but everyone is different .[quote user="mamaof4boys:
Could you post a pic of this because I have NO idea what it is, LOL.  Oh, and is the cream sold in the section by the milk and it's in a small carton??  I think I have seen that before...  Thank you for the recipe!
The heavy cream is in the milk section, they usually sell it in pint containers, 16oz or two cups. Make sure you buy HEAVY whipping cream, let me know how it turns out...

Joined 17-Jul-07

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 3:18 pm

Thank you so much lala land!  Your recipe sounds just right and I will let you know how it turns out after I do it!  

Joined 17-Jul-07

Top Poster
18-Oct-08 3:21 pm

Is the powdered gelatin what makes it thicken?

Joined 29-Aug-08

15-Nov-08 4:15 pm
Haven't beenron IG for awhile, but if you haven't made your cake already, the whipping of the cream makes it thick and the gelatin stabilizes the cream to keep it from deflating

Joined 23-Jan-07

Top Poster
15-Nov-08 4:18 pm

I just found the whipped and buttercream frosting in the party section at walmart.  I bet that's what walmart uses. 

Sometimes on the way to a dream, you get lost and find a better one.

Joined 17-Jul-07

Top Poster
8-Dec-08 11:00 pm

lala land:
Haven't beenron IG for awhile, but if you haven't made your cake already, the whipping of the cream makes it thick and the gelatin stabilizes the cream to keep it from deflating

lala land, thank you so so much for offering the recipe!  That is some very good icing!!  I made some over the weekend while at my mom's and put it on red velvet cake...yummy!!  I didn't have time for my ds's b-day party but now that I have this recipe I will do their cakes myself from now on!  Thank you so much...btw, I did end up using 1 c. powdered sugar and it was just right! 

Joined 29-Aug-08

11-Dec-08 2:47 pm
That is great, I'm so glad it worked out..you have a lot of birthday cakes to make every year LOL!
Page: of 1