Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

1st Birthday Party Etiquette

Joined 2-Aug-08

Top Poster
28-Aug-08 12:46 pm

I need some opinions b/c I'm a not sure what to do as this is my first DD. My nieces 1sr birthday party is this Sun. I have this really pretty pink frilly dress up dress for my DD. Would it be wrong to put her in it for the party? Do you think it would take away attention from niece? I'm thinking it might be like MIL wearing a white dress to your wedding, lol!! But, I do want to add they made me  feel like crap when I had my DS' that I didn't have a DD and how I was missing out on EVERYTHING, yada yadda yada. SO I need some opinions, I do have plenty of other cute stuff for her, actually my 2nd choice is a really sweet pink sundress w/matching diaper cover. I'm kinda leaning towards that I shouldn'tTongue Tied If it needs to be seen, I can take a pic...

Baby Boy 13 Baby Boy 9 Baby Boy 4 Baby Girl 2

Joined 2-Aug-08

Top Poster
28-Aug-08 1:04 pm

Here's the dress, might help in your decision

*Joe~Ann~Mae*

Joined 17-Mar-08

Top Poster
28-Aug-08 1:09 pm

Tough one!  Although I am not always a nice person, and I tend to hold a grudge and love to have the last "in your face"--I know...horrible traits!  But I am only this way with my lovely(this is dripping with sarcasm) BIL and soon to be SIL. 

I would put her in the frilly dress--but if you are having second guesses about it and you would feel uncomfortable doing so, then follow your heart!  Did they happen to give you a gift when DD was born?  If they did and it was a pink outfit--that would be WONDERFUL to put her in!!!Devil

Joined 8-Nov-07

Top Poster
28-Aug-08 1:11 pm
very pretty dress, but I wouldn't, I would go with the sundress...

Joined 27-Jul-08

Top Poster
28-Aug-08 9:24 pm

FinalScore3boys1girl:

Here's the dress, might help in your decision

LOVE the dress! I swear, girl clothes are SO darn CUTE!!!!!

But getting back to your question....No. Do not use that gorgeous dress on your princess. Why? Because it is rude to have other children "all dressed-up" the same or maybe even more than the birthday child.

Go with the summer dress instead. But you MUST put that BEAUTIFUL dress on your princess and then take her to visit the family that was giving you trouble about not having a DD Devil. Have fun at the party =)

Joined 2-Aug-08

Top Poster
29-Aug-08 4:52 am

Thanks everyone! Anymore opinions/advice?

Joined 27-Oct-05

29-Aug-08 6:10 am

IMHO 

Your baby is going to get alot of attention at the party regardless because she is a baby. If you want to wear that dress on her I say go for it 

Is it a comfortable dress?. Some dresses are so beautiful but aren't comfortable. I have a daughter finally after 3 boys and I have always dressed her how I wanted to for any party or occasion I figured I deserve to show her off. I waited so long to be able to buy dresses. My dh loves it  too. I have had comments about how she  is dressed A women I didn't even know at a graduation party recently said how beautiful she looked she had a daughter too the same age as mine and she was dressed in jean shorts and a top. When she saw that I also had 3 boys she told me that explains why my daughter was dressed the way she was( in a sundress with matching bowband socks and shoes.)

If the parents dress down there daughter. Then regardless of what you put on her she will still be beautifully dressed. I went to a realtives first birthday party for their daughter and she wore jeans and a birthday girl t-shirt.I didn't have my baby daughter at the time  but if I did She would have been dressed in a beautiful dress, Life is too short to care what others think especially about somthing so trivial as a dress on a baby.

I just feel as mothers of an only girl after all our bundles of blue We deserve to dress our only daughter how we see fit. They will be older soon enough and tell us what they will be wearing. I myself am not looking forward to that daySad

Please post a pic of your daughter in whatever dress she does wearHappy Smile 

Baby Boy 17, Baby Boy12, Baby Boy 5, Baby Girl 3

Joined 30-Jul-08

Top Poster
29-Aug-08 10:08 am

Fayface:

IMHO 

Your baby is going to get alot of attention at the party regardless because she is a baby. If you want to wear that dress on her I say go for it 

Is it a comfortable dress?. Some dresses are so beautiful but aren't comfortable. I have a daughter finally after 3 boys and I have always dressed her how I wanted to for any party or occasion I figured I deserve to show her off. I waited so long to be able to buy dresses. My dh loves it  too. I have had comments about how she  is dressed A women I didn't even know at a graduation party recently said how beautiful she looked she had a daughter too the same age as mine and she was dressed in jean shorts and a top. When she saw that I also had 3 boys she told me that explains why my daughter was dressed the way she was( in a sundress with matching bowband socks and shoes.)

If the parents dress down there daughter. Then regardless of what you put on her she will still be beautifully dressed. I went to a realtives first birthday party for their daughter and she wore jeans and a birthday girl t-shirt.I didn't have my baby daughter at the time  but if I did She would have been dressed in a beautiful dress, Life is too short to care what others think especially about somthing so trivial as a dress on a baby.

I just feel as mothers of an only girl after all our bundles of blue We deserve to dress our only daughter how we see fit. They will be older soon enough and tell us what they will be wearing. I myself am not looking forward to that daySad

I agree.  Your niece will be dressed in an outfit that suits her parent's style on her first birthday whether it's jeans and a t-shirt or a fancy party dress.  I think it is ok for you to dress your dd in whatever you would like her to wear. Even though I have 4 dds, I dressed them up for parties and special occasions cuz I think little girls just look so adorable in dresses and I knew they would only be little for a short time. So,  I think it'd be cute for your dd to wear the pink frilly dress, and I don't think anyone will think anything of it seeing as it is your first daughter and everything.  I'd love to see a pic of your lil sweetie too!

Hugs VioletBaby GirlBaby GirlBaby GirlBaby GirlHugs Violet

Joined 2-Aug-08

Top Poster
29-Aug-08 2:23 pm

dollies4me"]

[quote user="Fayface:

IMHO 

I agree.  Your niece will be dressed in an outfit that suits her parent's style on her first birthday whether it's jeans and a t-shirt or a fancy party dress.  I think it is ok for you to dress your dd in whatever you would like her to wear. Even though I have 4 dds, I dressed them up for parties and special occasions cuz I think little girls just look so adorable in dresses and I knew they would only be little for a short time. So,  I think it'd be cute for your dd to wear the pink frilly dress, and I don't think anyone will think anything of it seeing as it is your first daughter and everything.  I'd love to see a pic of your lil sweetie too!

[/quote]

Sure I'll post a picHappy Smile.....this is a couple days ago, my Sleeping Beauty

Joined 30-Jul-08

Top Poster
30-Aug-08 3:05 am

Oh my gosh!!!! What an angel baby! I just wanna kiss those sweet lil cheeks. Hearts She's just beautiful and look at those rosebud lips and all that hair!!! What a dolly! Love Ya!

Waaaaa.....makes me wanna cry too. It seems like just yesterday my dds were that small and now all but one are teens. They grow way too fast! Sad

Hugs VioletBaby GirlBaby GirlBaby GirlBaby GirlHugs Violet

Sarah

Joined 30-Jun-06

Top Poster
30-Aug-08 4:13 am

I'm obviousely in the minority here because I'd dress my child in anything I liked...  And I think that dress is beautiful and would most definately use it!

I guess I'm just going on my own experience of throwing lots of parties.  I've never really noticed what the other kids were wearing because in my eyes my birthday child was always the best looking child there and was always the focus of the party anyway - it really doesn't matter to me what other people put their kids in so long as mine are wearing the clothes I deem appropriate or nice for the occasion.

I say go with the pretty dress.  They grow up so quickly so you won't get to use it very much...

And another little born October 2014!

Off discovering the delig

Joined 16-Mar-08

Top Poster
30-Aug-08 5:42 am

Why don't you get a frilly pretty dress as a birthday present for your neice...that would avoid any snide comments!

Joined 2-Aug-08

Top Poster
31-Aug-08 8:40 pm

alice17:

Why don't you get a frilly pretty dress as a birthday present for your neice...that would avoid any snide comments!

I ended up buying her these really pretty butterfly earrings SIL said she wanted but couldn't find anywhere. I found them on this site from someone who posted it, she LOVED themHappy Smile.

I didn't end up putting on the frilly dress. I'm glad I didn't b/c it was too dressy and it would of taken away from the birthday girl. Also, it was way too uncomfortable to keep on more than 5 minutes. I do appreciate everyone's opinions, thanks so muchKiss. She did look so pretty in her pink sundress, I will post a pic. I bought this really cute headband w/a butterfly and it was adorable on her.

Joined 2-Aug-08

Top Poster
1-Sep-08 8:49 pm

Here is a pic from the party, its pretty simple but pretty, of course she pooped soon after so I had to change her outfit, LOL!!!

Joined 27-Jul-08

Top Poster
9-Sep-08 6:39 pm

You DD is SO cute! And I like the detail on the dress...very pretty indeed. Thanks for posting a pic.

Page: of 2