Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

14 WEEK PREDICTIONS RIGHT?

loveour5boys

Joined 21-Nov-07

Top Poster
6-Jul-08 5:07 pm

hi has anyone had a 2d 3d or a 4d ultrasound at around 13-14 weeks and was it correct? im considering having one done...im 13 weeks now and i just cant wait to find out......i know its best to wait untill at least 16 weeks but i know some ppl that found out at 12 weeks so its making me very ancxious(spelling?)Happy

5 wonderful boys

Scrubs

Joined 10-Jan-08

Top Poster
6-Jul-08 5:49 pm

I would wait til 16 weeks if i were you. I know its hard to wait but if you get it know you will still be wondering if it was correct and want another.

HIS Baby Boy JANUARY 2001 MINE Baby Boy MARCH 2005 OURS! Baby Boy July 31 2008

Joined 15-Jun-08

6-Jul-08 7:01 pm

I had an ultrasound with my son at 14W4D. They were able to tell me without a doubt that he was a boy. It was pretty clear on the toilet shot too. You could see all the boy parts. Good Luck!

B Baby Girl June 2003 Baby Boy Aug 2006 Baby Boy Dec 2008

Full House

Joined 5-Jul-07

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

6-Jul-08 7:06 pm

Boys can be pretty straightforward at 14 wks, but I have still seen the odd protuberant nub on girls.

I would wait and then *know for sure*.

GL!

A lot of great kids, and a full time job mean very little time to play! Miss you all!!
Thank you In-Gender and Maureen for giving me a place to dream, and the tools to chase those dreams<3

Dawn

Joined 19-Oct-07

Top Poster
6-Jul-08 7:39 pm

I was told 100% girl at 14 weeks. You could see the girl parts clearly. 14 weeks is not too early :)

Full House

Joined 5-Jul-07

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

6-Jul-08 8:12 pm

I beg to differ Dawn. I have scanned enough babies over the years to know that some girls have a very definite protuberance/nub at 14-15 wks and can look like a boy. I would never suggest to someone to get a gender scan at 14 wks. There is too much room for error.

The earliest for a thin mom is 16 wks. To be accurate. If you are a bigger boned mom, I would wait until at least 18wks. I did a mom yesterday who was almost 20 wks, and was a large gal. I am not sure of gender at all-could be scrotum or puffy labia-it was just that hard to see!

So, earliest-16 wks and up. Can be too ambiguous otherwise, and will leave too much doubt.

GL!

A lot of great kids, and a full time job mean very little time to play! Miss you all!!
Thank you In-Gender and Maureen for giving me a place to dream, and the tools to chase those dreams<3

Joined 20-Oct-05

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

6-Jul-08 8:16 pm

Most elective places here wont even schedule an US until 16 weeks.  So like CC says, they  must know that it's much more reliable after that stage.  I had mine at 16 weeks and 1 day.  It was accurate.

Goodluck!

Dawn

Joined 19-Oct-07

Top Poster
6-Jul-08 8:17 pm

CC: Yes, most techs want to wait until at leat 16 weeks to determine gender via ultrasoud. As a nurse, I have seen many women come in at 14 weeks and most of the time, we are able to tell the gender of the baby as long as baby is in the right position. I also agree that the size of the patient matters. Its easier to tell gender at 14 weeks on a thin woman and a lrage woman should wait a while longer. I was also told I was having a girl 100% at just 14 weeks. The girl parts were clearly visable.  It is very possible to tell that early :) 

Full House

Joined 5-Jul-07

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

6-Jul-08 8:47 pm

Dawn, I did not realise that nurses perfom ultrasounds in the US.

In MY experience, as an ARMDS and CARDUP registered ultrsound technologist, I think that you are out of line telling people information that is inaccurate and outside your scope of practice as a nurse. You do not perform scans yourself.

Thanks for your opinion.

Joined 19-Sep-07

Top Poster
6-Jul-08 8:50 pm

You may or may not be able to tell that early but i would ask myself is it worth the money if you are going to doubt the accuracy until it is 100% later in pregnancy.....GOOD LUCK!!

Gabe Baby Boy 2001   Luke Baby Boy 2006   Bella Rae Baby Girl Dec 31st 2009

Lena

Joined 15-Jun-07

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

6-Jul-08 9:25 pm

I agree with Charlie and would wait until at least 16 weeks.   And I was also not aware that nurses were certified to read u/s here in the US. 

Joined 5-Jun-08

6-Jul-08 9:36 pm
I am no expert but this was my experience...maybe it will help, maybe not :) At my 12 weeks scan I found out I was 14 weeks along. She did a toilet shot and between the legs there was a small protrubance. It looked like a small case letter " m " with a tiny something sticking out between the two humps. The U/S tech pointed at the small protrubance and said " Maybe boy ". I wondered if it was a girl because it did not really look boyish....looked more like the clitoris sticking out between the labia. So I waited tell I was 17 weeks and payed to have a scan done. At it was there that it was confirmed a GIRL :) So I would wait if you want to know that you know. However if you have the money and it's just for fun and your dont plan on painting a pink or blue nursery after...then I say...heck have some fun...see your cute baby :) If you can only have one U/S done....I would definitely wait. Best of luck :)
Baby Boy -2006 Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Dawn

Joined 19-Oct-07

Top Poster
6-Jul-08 10:52 pm

I did not say that I performed the scans as that is not my job. I do work with an OBGYN who has been in practice for 42 years. He does the scans with me in the room. We also have several U/S techs that work with us whcih is why I said that "we can usually tell the gender at 14 weeks" My opinon is based on my personal experience and each person has a different view on early gender determination. If you as a woman want to wait longer then 14 weeks, that is your choice but many women do elect to try and find out early :)

Dawn

Joined 19-Oct-07

Top Poster
6-Jul-08 11:00 pm

Here is some info I found online from a few good sources:

Well, as I have mentioned before in the regular FAQ page, in order to be certain the sonologists/ sonographer should reassure himself that he actually sees the penis and scrotum in the case of a boy and the labia in the case of a girl. The absence of the penis must not be taken as sufficient evidence of the fetus being a girl. The 3-lines sign which denotes the labia in the fetus is a very valid and accurate indication of the female gender. Most of the time one should be able to tell the sex of the baby by about 20 weeks and very often even at sixteen. With modern equipment, the diagnosis can be made even as early as 11 to 12 weeks (see below). On the other hand, as the correct visualization of any fetal part depends of a host of factors such as fetal position, amount of liquor and thickness of the abdominal wall, I have had occasions when I cannot be certain about the sex even at 28 weeks.

On the subject of "early diagnosis of fetal gender", a recent article by B J Whitlow et al, entitled "First trimester diagnosis of gender" which appeared in the Journal: Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology 1999; 13:301–304 addressed this issue.

This study addresses the question of first trimester diagnosis of fetal gender by assessing the outcome of 447 women who had normal transabdominal ultrasound sometimes complemented with transvaginal ultrasound (26%) when the genitals were not clearly visible. Patients were scanned between 11 and 14 weeks and were referred for assessment of fetal anatomy. In families with X-linked disorders, fetal gender is determined by chorionic villus sampling (CVS) with 99% accuracy and ultrasound would also need to reach this level of accuracy. The discovery of a female fetus on ultrasound would avoid an invasive test with its risk of miscarriage.

Results showed that the overall success rate of gender identification between 12 and 14 weeks was 80% which is less than invasive karyotyping. In the transverse plane, male fetuses showed a dome shaped genital swelling with a cephalic-directed phallus and females had three or four parallel lines representing the labia. The gender of the fetus did not affect the operator’s ability to assign gender and when assignment was possible gender did not affect the accuracy. The ability to assign gender increased with increasing gestational age.

Another article, Determination of gender - 10 and 14 weeks by Z Efrat et al which appeared in the Journal: Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology 1999; 13:305–30, reported:

Joined 23-Jan-07

Top Poster
6-Jul-08 11:17 pm

I know the places by me won't do them until 16 weeks so you'd have to lie about your LMP.  I would wait.  It's a lot of your own $ to spend if they can't even tell.  I think not all babies look the same at 14 weeks, like some you might be able to tell and some you might now.

Sometimes on the way to a dream, you get lost and find a better one.

Page: of 3