Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Is fibersure safe for kids long term?

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

11-Apr-08 9:29 am

dd1 has been a constipated person since the age of 1.  The docs did everything and said she just needs more fiber.  Well we tried all the tricks and the one that worked was prunes.  But she Hates prunes.  Takes her all morning to eat half of one!  So I was wondering if we can try  fibersure instead.  What do you think?

Jojo

Joined 1-Aug-06

Top Poster
11-Apr-08 9:40 am

Prunes and fibersure are very different...as far as the way they work. 

Here is the thing with fiber...if you have a high fiber diet and don't drink enough water to flush the fiber out...you will get even more backed up then you were before.  Does she drink straight water...not juices and milk...ie fluids...but real fresh water?  If so then adding some fiber sure to her diet should not hurt.  I would just read if it has an age indication or not.  Sometimes when people are constipated it's because their stools are hard.  So trying a stool softener on her and see how she reacts to it would be my first experiment.   If she goes fine on a softener, then you know what the culprit of the constipation is. 

Does she like apples with the skin on them?  I would give her those if she can eat them.  Prunes are high in fiber and really help a person go.  But they can make you bloated and gassy.  Apricots work well for constipation too.  Have you tried plum smart juice?  It's not as thick as straight up prune juice.  A glass of that in the morning might be all she needs. 

Metamucil also has cookie like wafers...they are not bad...

I think fibersure is ok long term.  I personally don't take it because I think fiber bulks.  I drink water and eat my apples...LOL...

Mom to 4 beautiful children and 3 angel babies Baby BoyBaby BoyBaby GirlBaby Boy
Heartbroken March 2011  Heartbroken June 2011 Heartbroken November 2011 lost our baby Baby Bear Boy at 18 weeksSad

Preggo again! Due 12-25-13

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

11-Apr-08 9:50 am

we tried stole softeners and they didn't work.  The only thing that worked are the prunes she hates lol.  When we first started she had to eat 2 prunes a day.  As things got better I have been able to cut down to one prune a day, then half a prune a day and now after a YEAR on prunes she is on 1/4 a prune a day.  I then tried cutting them out completely and that was BAD.  So we are back to 1/4 a prune a day.  Oh well, maybe we will just stick with what works.  Oh, my kids hate juice, wont touch the stuff.  So it is either milk or water.  I only give 3-4 glasses of milk a day, the rest is water.

Hmmm, do apricots work as well as prunes?  I wonder if she would like dried apricots better?

#6 It's a boy!

Joined 25-Sep-07

Top Poster
11-Apr-08 10:07 am

Tamara-How about cutting out 2glasses a day of milk and uping the water? Apple Juice? It helps alot! I know you mention your girls dont like juice. Have take a 1teaspoon of mineral oil. Its safe. It works with lots of water. How about first thinking in  the morning instead of milk give her warm water.

Dried apricots have lots of sugar. Fruit is better. You dont loose as much fiber. Also, how about pears! They are loaded with fiber.

Baby Girl17 Baby Girl16 Baby Boy13 Baby Girl7 Baby Girl2 #6 Baby Boy Due October 21st. No swaying. Thank God!  BabyFetus Ticker

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

11-Apr-08 10:10 am

we did the mineral oil, it didnt work at all.  lol dd1 hates apple juice.

Au 79

Joined 25-Sep-06

Top Poster
11-Apr-08 11:02 am

DS has a big bowl of oatmeal everymorning and poops right after. so he gets his fiber and a good amount of water in that bowl. just throwing it out there... in case you havent tried it Happy Wink

RQ~ 8, err... i mean 32 Baby Bear Boy,Baby Bear Girl,Baby Bear Boy: you'd better recognize!

http://www.ingender.com/cs/forums/p/7093/54561.aspx#54561 here is the link to my TBM success story for #2! I went on to do the same for #3 and added ions/diet/low sodium/etc... #3 is my beautiful baby boy! does swaying actually sway???

hoping for BFPs for all my IG girls!..... lets see those second lines!!!

Bump it B!tches! you know you want to!

a friend will help you move. a good friend will help you move a body.~ anon

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -Catherine-

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies. (Unknown)

Jojo

Joined 1-Aug-06

Top Poster
11-Apr-08 11:05 am

I think apricots work as well...but that is just me...

Has she tried "simply apple"....it is so good like cider!

Can you bake the prunes in a muffin or something?  Maybe she will like it better?

Mom to 4 beautiful children and 3 angel babies Baby BoyBaby BoyBaby GirlBaby Boy
Heartbroken March 2011  Heartbroken June 2011 Heartbroken November 2011 lost our baby Baby Bear Boy at 18 weeksSad

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

11-Apr-08 11:17 am

lol oatmeal is all they eat for breakfast, they love the stuff.

We have homemade cider at home to, but that is strong stuff.

I wonder how many ml of prune juice is equal to 1/4 a prune.  maybe i could have her take it like meds

I think I will also buy some dried apricots and see if they work and if she like those better

My beautiful Family!!

Joined 29-Mar-08

Top Poster
11-Apr-08 11:59 am

I dont know if this helps or not but I buy those blue diamond almonds and DS2 loves them, well he ate a whole bunch and was pooping like crazy!!!!  Now he is only allowed a couple bc I dont like changing stinky diapers 2 or more times a day!!

Me~27 Casey DH~27 Frank

Baby Boy8/24/03 Frankie Baby Boy1/27/06 Ayden Monroe It's a Baby Girl Kayliana Marie due  April 29, 2009

babies< <object width="120" height="180"><param name="movie" value="http://babystrology.com/tickers/baby-ticker-glass.swf?parent=Casey&year=2009&month=4&day=29&babycount=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param></object>

Joined 20-Oct-05

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

11-Apr-08 1:39 pm

My DS has had constipation problems his whole short life.  We tried all of the natural food ideas and they did little to help him.  The ped put him on Miralax and said that he could take it everyday his whole life and he'd be fine.  It is available over the counter, but you may want to ask your ped about dosage.  You just mix it in their milk or juice and they can't tell that it's in there.  So far we've had a good year with poop but I still use it for both kids if they are stopped up.

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

11-Apr-08 1:52 pm

thanks gray!  I might try that!  the internet days 1/2 cap for a 20 pound child. Is that about what you do?

Jojo

Joined 1-Aug-06

Top Poster
11-Apr-08 2:25 pm

You know what other foods my kids like are cracklin oat bran cereal...grape nuts and they also have bran in wheat thins (or one of those crackers).  My kids ate a bunch one day and OMG....they pooped for days!

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

11-Apr-08 2:57 pm

they pooped for days!

Happy ROFL

Jojo

Joined 1-Aug-06

Top Poster
11-Apr-08 3:03 pm

LOL...they pooped a few times a day for days....

Joined 20-Oct-05

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

11-Apr-08 3:11 pm

Yeah that sounds about right.  It takes a few days for it to kick in.  It doesn't act like a laxative.  Very gentle, more like fiber.

Page: of 2