Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Just pgd for gender or should I test for chromosomal abnormalities too?

Joined 23-Nov-12

17-Mar-13 12:24 pm
Hi ladies, Just want to start by thanking the ladies who have responded to my previous posts, you have helped me greatly. I finally meet with my doctor on Thursday and have decided we are going to move ahead sometime shortly after ds3 turns one. My desire for a daughter is so strong that I'm going to let it override any reservations I'm having. I know if I'm blessed enough to have a daughter nothing I was worried about now will matter. My question is my doctor recommended I only test for gender and not chromosomal abnormalities. He said because I'm young and had healthy pervious pregnancies that he doesn't think i need to do additional testing. He also said that the test are ridiculously inaccurate and an embryo can be determined to be abnormal and result in a perfectly healthy pregnancy/baby. What do you ladies think? I'm 34, so that's not really young although I know it's not old either. If you have done ivf or planning on doing so for gender, will you be testing the embryo for other abnormalities?
Little man 5/07, Middle man 10/09, Littlest man 9/12 Love my boys more than anything but praying for a beautiful daughter to complete our family.

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day whispering I will try again tomorrow."

Joined 5-Mar-13

17-Mar-13 12:54 pm
Hi 3 princes, I don't have as much experience as these other ladies. I'm at the minute trying to organise my pre tests in Ireland so I can proceed with genesis in June/july. My 1st thought was even if he is right personally I wouldn't like to take the chance. It is a long enough 9m without that extra worry. Best of luck x

Joined 9-Dec-08

Top Poster
17-Mar-13 1:21 pm
at 34 I would test for abnormalities since 35 is considered advanced maternal age and extra tests are often ordered at that age.

DS- Trevor 11/24/05

DD - Kathryn 5/7/2010 at 37+5 weeks!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Jen

Joined 26-Dec-10

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

17-Mar-13 11:16 pm

i just turned 34, i have 4 healthy pregnancies. lost a premmie because of an freak infection i got. 2 more healthy babies. my last was born just 4 months before i got pg this time. my little girl had down syndrome and a hole in her heart. i miscarried  at 18 weeks. i would def look at everything.

Baby Bear Girl01, Baby Bear Girl03, Baby Bear Girl05, Baby Bear Girl09, Baby Bear Girl10Heartbroken, Baby Bear Girl11, Baby Bear Girl11Heartbroken, Baby Bear Boy12, Baby Bear Girl13Heartbroken and another little born sept 4th!!

Joined 20-Aug-09

19-Mar-13 12:49 am

I am young (27, will be 28 by time of cycle) and I am planning on testing all the chromosomes as well. I feel very strongly about putting only one embryo back at a time, so I want to put the best possible embryo back and not transfer any that are abnormal and waste a cycle.

Planning to do IVF/PGD for a Baby Girl in summer 2013

Joined 24-Aug-12

19-Mar-13 9:03 am
That is something I have thought about since you posted. I plan on starting my journey next February after saving the money:) I will be 26. While I know that there tend to be less genetic issues with younger people-my husband and I don't have anything that's genetically in our history-I do realize that something could still happen to that embryo that could possibly prevent it from developing into a healthy baby. I know some may come back abnormal because of this, but I want to do the best I can to help "better the odds" if you will of having a healthy baby boy stick and stay and grow inside of me:) but, I do know that even embryos that are the best grade do not stick sometimes. Best of luck!

Baby Girl'06 Baby Girl'08 Baby Girl'10Baby Girl'12 loves of my life but also wishing and hoping for a Baby Bear Boy in 2014

Joined 29-Dec-09

26-Mar-13 3:38 am
I only did a 5 panel probe for my first 2 cycles and each time lost them to a different chromosome. I'm going to test all 24 this cycle. I'll be turning 42 shortly but I've spent the last year prepping for this and I've met many women who are successful at older ages (but have taken great pains to get there).
12-5-09: IVF/PGD - Transferred Baby BoyBaby Boy - BFP 9dp5dt
1st beta:  9dp5dt = 86
2nd beta: 12dp5dt = 306
u/s : 1-04-10 Baby Boy
M/C at 12 weeks.Heartbroken

Transferred Baby BoyBaby Boy 1-20-12 BFP 4dp5dt! (could've been 3 if I'd used a FRER) 1st beta: 9dp5dt = 199! 2nd beta: 12dp5dt = 635 3rd beta: 17dp5dt = 2790 2 blighted ovums at 5W5D ~ Missed Miscarriage at 12 weeks. NOT GIVING UP! Changing ME!!!

Joined 23-Nov-12

26-Mar-13 10:33 pm
Thank you all for your replies. I think I'm leaning towards a natura day 5 biopsy with a FET. I'm going to contact my dr and see what he thinks.
Little man 5/07, Middle man 10/09, Littlest man 9/12 Love my boys more than anything but praying for a beautiful daughter to complete our family.

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day whispering I will try again tomorrow."

Joined 29-Dec-09

29-Mar-13 9:58 pm
Read on the "other" gender forum Natera is no longer doing 5 day fresh, only frozen.
12-5-09: IVF/PGD - Transferred Baby BoyBaby Boy - BFP 9dp5dt
1st beta:  9dp5dt = 86
2nd beta: 12dp5dt = 306
u/s : 1-04-10 Baby Boy
M/C at 12 weeks.Heartbroken

Transferred Baby BoyBaby Boy 1-20-12 BFP 4dp5dt! (could've been 3 if I'd used a FRER) 1st beta: 9dp5dt = 199! 2nd beta: 12dp5dt = 635 3rd beta: 17dp5dt = 2790 2 blighted ovums at 5W5D ~ Missed Miscarriage at 12 weeks. NOT GIVING UP! Changing ME!!!

Twoblue

Joined 23-Apr-09

Top Poster
5-Apr-13 3:30 pm

Three princes:
Thank you all for your replies. I think I'm leaning towards a natura day 5 biopsy with a FET. I'm going to contact my dr and see what he thinks.

You can always try aCGH Day-5 biopsy with an early Day-6 transfer with Dr. Potter, that's what I'm considering. So far, eveone has gotten preggo..I think he started doing it in March. I'm cycling in May, if all is well with pretesting.

Joined 15-Apr-08

Top Poster
11-Apr-13 7:45 pm
dream4purple"]

[quote user="Three princes:

Thank you all for your replies. I think I'm leaning towards a natura day 5 biopsy with a FET. I'm going to contact my dr and see what he thinks.[/quote] 

You can always try aCGH Day-5 biopsy with an early Day-6 transfer with Dr. Potter, that's what I'm considering. So far, eveone has gotten preggo..I think he started doing it in March. I'm cycling in May, if all is well with pretesting.

Dream4purple, glad you hear you are cycling again, you have been through SO much, I hope can finally have your healthy baby.. Best of Luck!!!!

Baby Boy IVF=Baby Boy NF1 PGD to test for NF1 and Gender Cycle #1 August 2010 Transferred 1 Baby Girl= BFN
Cycle#2 IVF/PGD Nov 2010= No Unaffected Females to Transfer No Unaffected Males to Freeze Cycle # 3= May 2011 5 Fertilized --Frozen on Day 1 to Batch with Next Cycle Cycle# 4= June 2011- Transferred 3 Baby GirlBaby Girl= BFN Cycle# 5= September 2011-- Day 5 Biopsy-- Grade A Hatched Blastocyst Baby Girl- BFN

Cycle # 6- Different Doctor-Dr Braverman January 2012-Transferred Baby Girl Baby GirlBaby Girl-BFN Cycle #7-April 2012 Transferred Six Baby GirlJuly 2012 Cycle #8 Transferred Baby GirlBaby GirlBaby GirlBaby Girl- BFN--WTF! October 2012 Cycle #9 Transferred Baby GirlBaby Girl- Beta 13 Chemical Pregnancy...

January 2013 New RE- SIRM-NY- April- Transferred 2 Baby GirlBaby Girl Blasts & 2Baby Girl Baby Girl Morulas= BFP!!!!!!!!

Maxietunes

Joined 13-Apr-13

14-Apr-13 12:53 am
I did Day 3 testing cGH of all chromosomes and then froze all because the RE didn't think they would make it to day 5 (they didn't look awful, but were slow growing). All were abnormal. However, a year later, we thawed 2 of them, cultured them in the lab to blastocyst (day 6 and another day 7), re-biopsied, re-sent to Reprogenetics for cGH. Guess what? Both turned normal that time. But now I'm scared. What if it's a mosaicism and will lead to an abnormal baby? The original dianosis of the abnormality on the one I want to transfer was trisomy 22. I ahve read that people can be born with a mosaic trisomy 22 -- in other words, some cells are disomy and others are trisomy. Anyone have any advice on this?
Page: of 1