Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

MaterniT21 blood test results include info on Gender

Kobra

Joined 8-Feb-10

Top Poster
27-Aug-12 4:21 pm

Ok, so my OB has told me about these new blood tests that just recently came out and are available in limited states. But the way they work - they get the mother's blood at 10 or more weeks and then find the baby's dna in it and are able to test for chromosomal abnormalities. Moreover, I just called the company that does the MaterniT21 blood test and they confirmed that the results from now on will also include info on the Y chromosome, so they tell you what gender the baby is. I just find it amazing, since we literally will be able to know for sure who we are having as early as 10 weeks (well, maybe 11 or 12, since they need to get the results processed....). Here is the link to the test:

http://www.sequenomcmm.com/home/health-care-professionals/trisomy-21/

In Hearts with my girls and waiting for my little man to complete our family.

Baby Girl - 2007  Baby Girl - 2010   Swayed for a boy and am expecting a Baby BoyHearts in April 2013

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Joined 28-Aug-12

28-Aug-12 7:07 pm

Has anyone who has done the test actually been told the information about gender?

Perfect, beautiful Baby Bear Boy '11   Expecting a bundle of joy in 3/13

Joined 15-Nov-10

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

28-Aug-12 8:47 pm
There is a lady on our ddc board and she was not told gender it was a screen for chromosomal problems only. I've read on fetal answers and other medical articles and was told gender would NOT be tested for because they don't test through the actual blood they extract the plasma out of the blood to test for the risk, which is slightly more detailed than the low risk quad screen. From what I understand it would be very expensive and require much more blood to be able to get enough for accurate gender results... But that's the only thing I know/have heard about this test.
"Bless this child O' Lord I pray, love her through all night and day"
1 Samuel 1:27

Baby Bear GirlAdysen 3-2007 Baby Bear GirlBaylor 7-2011 Baby Bear GirlHaidynn 1-2013

Kobra

Joined 8-Feb-10

Top Poster
29-Aug-12 10:37 am

Apparently this is a very new test that they just started doing. Initially, they were only offering the results on Trisomy 21, 18 and 13. But from late August 2012, MaterniT21is now also including the info about the presence of the Y chromosome, thus being able to tell the gender. My OB gave me a printout of all the available screening tests and even on his printout he listed that one can learn the gender from the MaterniT21 blood test, so I am sure they are legitimate. As for the cost, since it's a very new screening test, we need to check if our insurance covers it. They said if we have PPO (which we do), then most likely our out of pocket expenses will be $235. Without any insurance, the cost for the test is $1900. There is also a similar blood test that another company does, it's called Harmony, but I have called them and then still only give the results on Trisomy 21, 18 and 13 (no gender).

So, wishingonastar - this explains why the lady on BBC was only told about the chromosomal abnormalities in her test, since the gender part was really just added a few weeks ago as the genetic counceler from their company has told me.

BB - you should read up on these new tests - they are pretty amazing. They are able to find the baby's DNA in mom's blood draw done from 10+ weeks, whereas before everyone thought that there are no traces of the baby in mom's blood!

I'll also update you all once I get the test done myself (if our insurance covers it...)

Baby Girl - 2007  Baby Girl - 2010   Swayed for a boy and am expecting a Baby BoyHearts in April 2013

Joined 28-Aug-12

29-Aug-12 4:24 pm

Thanks, Kobra.  Wow, so it sounds like we could both know the gender in just a couple of weeks. A little scary, no?!  I have this test scheduled next week.  I am leaning towards asking them to tell me whether there is a "Y."  On the one hand, I realize it could leave me sad for the entire remainder of my pregnancy (as opposed to only half of it), but I think I just need to know.  It's been very difficult for me living in "limbo," and this way I at least can either begin celebrating or getting my grieving out of the way so I can just embrace being pregnant.  Good luck to you!

Kobra

Joined 8-Feb-10

Top Poster
29-Aug-12 5:25 pm

Wishingonastar - wow, that's exciting! So, is your insurance covering this new screening? Do you have PPO? Yes, I definetly plan to find out with these test results. I would love to have a boy this time, but will be ok with a girl too. When I think hard about this - in the end I always realize that what I truly want is a healthy LO. Oh, and I know you probably want a girl this time, but let me comfort you a bit if this turns out to be your second son... my DH is from a family of two boys and his bond with his older brother has always been just amazing. His brother is 10 years older and he was like a second dad to him. There is something so special in a brotherly bond. And not to mention - family wise - it was always easy for them to do things, like move the furniture or build a house, etc... I am coming from a family of three women and just one man, so completely different experience growing up... Doh! I so wished our family would have more man power....

Joined 15-Nov-10

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

29-Aug-12 6:33 pm
Yea I've read up on a lot of them, and they truly are legit unlike certain company claims because in those cases it's old blood in a very minute quantity in an unsterile tube, or postcard or what ever they do with the blood, in these tests vials of blood are taken then they take the plasma and concentrate that down, which is very accurate and similar to the way the quad screen works, very amazing! I've just not seen the Y chromosome detection information release, the lady on my ddc just had it for and they did not test for gender, but then again her clinic may not do that.
"Bless this child O' Lord I pray, love her through all night and day"
1 Samuel 1:27

Baby Bear GirlAdysen 3-2007 Baby Bear GirlBaylor 7-2011 Baby Bear GirlHaidynn 1-2013

Joined 28-Aug-12

30-Aug-12 5:08 pm

Kobra - I know, right!?  Yes, my insurance does cover it (PPO), but my midwife's office did say we'd have to pay a couple hundred out of pocket.  Given my two prior losses (one of which was in the 2nd tri and due to genetic defects), the early peace of mind is a godsend and worth every dime.  I am having the test due to AMA and my prior losses.  Thank you for your kind, thoughtful words on having another boy.  I do want a daughter and I know I will grieve that loss, but I also know I will love any baby and that it is a true blessing to have any children, let alone two healthy ones.  I hope you hear blue this time; I don't buy into all the 'boy' myths ("they love their mommies more," etc), but it sure is fun to have one! :)

Babybleux - Thanks for the info.  I will re-post next week when I have the test and can confirm with the geneticist that I will learn gender.

Joined 5-Sep-12

5-Sep-12 7:18 pm

Hello,

Yes, my Geneticists just called me on Tuesday 9/4, gave me great news that the tests were negative.  Additionally she told me that now the results also include the presence or absence of the Y chormosome.  As she was explaining it, I thought she was telling me there was a Y chormosome (I'm a science major so had some understanding of DNA) and I was having a boy.  After she was done, she asked if I wanted to know whether there was a Y chormosome present or not, I was so nervous but agreed to know the result...no Y!  I'm having a girl.  I always just wanted a healthy baby but my heart was pretty set on a girl.  Needless to say, I'm ecstatic.  Now I'm just a bit worried to celebrate and announce the news since the test is so new and I feel that if the Y chromosome was present, I could defintely be convinced that it was a boy but the absense of one doesn't seem as predictive.  I don't know, either way I am just happy to be having a healthy child (barring any anomalies they find in my 20 week US next Tuesday).  Also, I was charged $235 and no matter how much the insurance covers, that's all that I will have to pay.  The test is around $2300 or so.  Goodluck to everyone.  Science is so amazing.

Joined 28-Aug-12

5-Sep-12 9:14 pm

Congratulations, lol13!  Both on the news of healthy and pink -- how wonderful!

I wish I had such good news.  (Not that I can complain, but...)  It turns out my perinatologist's office uses the Verifi test, not MaterniT21, and they are not releasing information regarding gender.  That is not the reason I am doing the test, but it bums me out to know that had I taken a different test, I could have known that early on as well.  Oh well, I guess it is what it is.  According to the genetic counselor I saw today, Verifi is not releasing gender because the information is not yet accurate enough.  I don't know if I believe that, given that MaterniT21 clearly thinks it is, but who knows.  The test is so new, I just hope it's truly accurate and they are correct about the 99% accuracy.  ltl13, if it were me, I'd probably start celebrating (why not!?), but maybe not decorate the nursery until it's confirmed for sure by u/s.  The best news is healthy, and your baby is!

Kobra

Joined 8-Feb-10

Top Poster
6-Sep-12 10:01 am

ltl13 - wow - this is the greatest news! This is exactly the same that my genetic councelor and the doctro's office have told me. I am so glad to hear that they truly do tell you about the gender. I hopefully will be doing the same test in a week and a half. How long did it take them to get the results back to you? I was told it takes about 7-10 business days.

Wishinginastart - sorry that your office is doing a different test. But you are right - healthy is truly all that matters and while it's hard to wait to see who you are having, it's really only just about a month sooner with this blood test. You won't notice how fast the time flies by. When will you know the results from Verifi? FX that the LO is healthy for you too.

Joined 5-Sep-12

6-Sep-12 3:34 pm

Thanks everyone!

I had the blood draw on August 24th and got called about results on 9/4, so 7 working days. 

I have my 20 week US on tuesday 9/11.  I'll start celebrating and maybe start decorating once it's confirmed :) 

Joined 20-Oct-05

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

6-Sep-12 8:52 pm
I am still leery about blood tests that determine gender. I was involved in a class action lawsuit against a company that claimed 99% accuracy in determining gender with a blood test. The same science was used, the sample was smaller, but there were some big issues with accuracy. I was told that my DD was a DS. Many girls on IG were told similar. It was six years ago now. Let's hope that they have truly gotten the science perfected now.

Joined 5-Sep-12

7-Sep-12 6:52 pm

I know, I'm leery about these tests too... I just called Sequenom's customer service nubmer and talked to a guy.  He said the tests are 99% accurate for detecting whether there is or isn't a Y chromosome.  I also asked if it's possible that just because there isn't a Y chromosome present, does it still confirm a girl, he replied yes.  This additional piece of data was only available as of August 27th 2012. 

Kobra

Joined 8-Feb-10

Top Poster
10-Sep-12 10:02 am

Southernbelle, may I ask whether the company you are talking about was in the business of detecting chromosomal abnormalities or gender only? If it was gender only, then I'd be very suspicious, but if their main goal is to provide reliable data to parents and doctors on whether or not the baby has some serious defects, I'd think the company had to go through some rigorous testing and through FDA approval, etc.

ltl13 - thanks for the additional info bits. I actually meant to ask them about the reliability of the gender info they are giving and forgot. Now I don't have to call them back :) DH will be calling our insurance today to see if they will cover the test. And then I will be going to my OB this Friday to get a referal for the test. So, hopefully soon, I will also be able to update on the results I get back from them.

Page: of 6