Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Struggling with circumcision decision!!

Joined 14-Jun-10

Top Poster
12-Jun-12 5:49 pm
Hi Ladies! Well less than a week ago we found out we are expecting our first son after 3 daughters!! So now comes the dreaded circ decision!! My DH is circumcised and although he hasn't mentioned it as yet, I know he'd like for his son to be as well. So a question to boy mums,  did you or didn't you circumcise you son/s and if so what was your experience with the procedure? Also I am in Australia and not even sure where to begin if we were to decide to go ahead with it. Fairly sure hospitals don't do it? 

Joined 2-Jan-12

Top Poster
12-Jun-12 6:35 pm
my son was circ'd at birth and it was given as an option by my dr at the hospital, however if you're uncertain how it works in your area i would suggest talking to your dr about it at your next prenatal appt.
Baby Boy (8) Jayden Joseph 2004 & Baby Girl Willow Rose Catherine due Aug 29th 2012!!!!

Just my boys and me. ?

Joined 11-May-11

Top Poster
12-Jun-12 10:19 pm

I have all three of my boys circumcised. The hospital did it when they were a day old. 

Good Luck!  Congrats on your first son!  How exciting!  

Hearts

ColeBaby Bear Boy 2004     CaidenBaby Bear Boy 2006       KodyBaby Bear Boy 2011    JaceBaby Bear Boy 2012  My UNplanned home birth baby... ♥ #5 due July 27, 2015  

"Boys are meant for kisses and hugs, For watching rainbows and catching
bugs, For sharing all of your favorite things, For books to read and
songs to sing.  Blue jeans and trucks, scrapes on his knees, Running in the Dirt, and being a tease. Making a face, and build and destroy. There's nothing like just being a BOY!" ????

Joined 14-Jun-10

Top Poster
13-Jun-12 1:01 am

They definitely don't do it in the hospital after bub is born here in Australia, so i'll have to find somewhere afterward if we decide to have it done. Thanks Dreaming!! We are very excited, we were not expecting it at all. Everything was pointing towards it being a girl. You must be getting close to finding out the sex of your little one. Fingers crossed for a daughter for you!! Good Luck Clover

Joined 28-May-10

Top Poster
13-Jun-12 2:47 am
It is my very strong opinion that god made you the way you are and that any change to your sons body that is not medical (to save his life) should be something he decides when he is old enough, in my mind it is mutilation of the sexual organs and I see it on a par with female circumsision which is forced upon young women in other cultures. Its cruel and unnessasary :-( How would you feel is your parents had snipped of part of your vagina at birth?

formerly 'Tashy'

Joined 7-Jun-08

Top Poster
13-Jun-12 4:31 am
My first son was born in America and was whisked off to get circumcised the day after his birth, it was so routine. I don't think I even thought twice about it. My second, third, and fourth sons were born in England and I was in the same dilemma you are now. Should I or shouldn't I find someone to circumcise?? When I investigated the procedure, it really shocked me. I would urge you to find out exactly what they do during the procedure. At the time of investigating 10 years ago, it certainly seemed barbaric to me. They didn't typically use pain relief and would strap the babies down to prevent them moving. No wonder they wouldn't want the parents to watch, the baby would obviously be howling in pain. I felt guilty that I had put my first son through that. And of course, terrible mistakes have been made in some cases. It is ultimately your decision, but please investigate as much as you can. In my experience, my second son ended up being circumcised anyway at the age of 9. This I think is because I was ignorant in how to look after uncircumcised penises. You pretty much are meant to leave them alone until about the age of 5 or 6, when you are to teach the boys how to pull back the foreskin and clean properly. I never did that, and my son's foreskin didn't ever go back, bless him. Anyways, good luck in whatever you decide!!
Baby Boy 1995 Baby Boy 2002 Baby Boy 2005 Baby Boy 2008 Baby Girl 2010 Baby Boy 2013

Joined 23-May-12

Top Poster
13-Jun-12 5:02 am
I was petrified when I got my son circumcised but we did it when he was six days old, and it wasn't a big deal at all. He came home in the evening and wasn't in any pain. My brother's son was done when he was 3 days old in America. You should ask your doc. I am sure he knows where it can be done. Go to a reputed clinic or doctor. It's harder for the mother than the child. My son was perfectly fine by night.

Stillwanttwomore....

Joined 3-Oct-10

Top Poster
13-Jun-12 2:21 pm

You really need to educate yourself before you compare female and male circumcision.  

Ilovebeingpregnant:
It is my very strong opinion that god made you the way you are and that any change to your sons body that is not medical (to save his life) should be something he decides when he is old enough, in my mind it is mutilation of the sexual organs and I see it on a par with female circumsision which is forced upon young women in other cultures. Its cruel and unnessasary :-( How would you feel is your parents had snipped of part of your vagina at birth?

Stillwanttwomore....

Joined 3-Oct-10

Top Poster
13-Jun-12 2:24 pm

Hi,

I firmly believe in circumcision for males.  I have done a TON of research because no ones opinions were going to sway me one way or the other, I wanted to make my own educated decision.  But after everything I read I truly believe that it was the best decision for my boys and I am glad that I have had it done.  I am in Canada and have to pay for it, as it is not covered by our medical system.  Not sure about where you are....

Joined 14-Jun-10

Top Poster
13-Jun-12 6:42 pm
Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. I'm in Australia, and as far as I know its not very common. It is not performed in hospital so I would have to find a private clinic. To be honest i'm not really keen on the idea, but maybe thats just because I don't know enough about it yet. I just don't think its fair for me to refuse it without letting my partner have a say in it. What if i'm against it and he wants it done? Thats the main reason I am struggling with it. I'm sure we'll figure it out in the end.

Joined 2-Jan-12

Top Poster
13-Jun-12 6:51 pm
Ilovebeingpregnant:
that's strange, i didn't see where she asked for opinions on whether she should get it done or not...
Baby Boy (8) Jayden Joseph 2004 & Baby Girl Willow Rose Catherine due Aug 29th 2012!!!!

Joined 2-Jan-12

Top Poster
13-Jun-12 6:52 pm
Ilovebeingpregnant:
that's strange, i didn't see where she asked for opinions on whether she should get it done or not...

Joined 14-Jun-10

Top Poster
13-Jun-12 7:27 pm
Both of my boys are and they never had any problems.I'm in america the doctor that delivered my last son did his and she explained the whole procedure to me before I said yes or no. She told me that it was a simple and quick procedure and it heals up in a day or 2. They don't remember it so they aren't scarred for life. I think I remember her saying that it doesn't hurt them as much as you think it would. He was a trooper and never cried at all after, so I just he was fine. I would say talk with your partner and see what he is thinking and go from there. Then he can tell you why he does or doesn't want it done to your son. I think if you don't want it done as long as you learn how to keep it clean and show him what to do when he's older it doesn't really matter. But if it gets infected he might have to have it done when he will remember it. Good luck, and Congrats on your boy!

Baby Bear Girl-10/03 Baby Bear Boy-10/05 Baby Bear Girl-11/07 and finally Baby Bear Boy 10/26/10.... my family is complete!

I love my kids no matter how much they drive me insane...

Joined 30-Mar-12

15-Jun-12 1:58 pm

Neither of my boys are and this one won't be either. 

Baby Boy02/2008 Baby Boy11/2009 Baby Boy10/2012

Joined 12-Dec-11

Top Poster
15-Jun-12 3:16 pm
I have absolutely NO idea why North Americans insist on circumcisions for nothing less than cosmetic reasons. It really baffles me that it is seen as the norm, it makes absolutely no sense what so ever but over the years on forums I have realised how medicalised pregnancy and birth seems to be in N.America compared to Australia and the UK. that said! My dh is also circumcised and it was for medical reasons at the age of about 10 so if I were you I would try and find out why your dh was as it is generally a genetic issue if it's for medical reasons. My boys will most prob be circumcised, certainly NOT at birth but most probably before they are 10. I spoke to my ds1's peadtrician about it when he was born and he was off the opinion that it is adding a lot of stress that just isn't necessary at birth. If your dh did have it done for medical reasons then you probably have an arguement to suggest it is done at birth but maybe try and weigh up whether it is worth waiting a few years instead.
Proud mummy of 2 wonderful boys and now a 3rd one one the way
Page: of 3