Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

My 19 month old daughter....

formerly 'Tashy'

Joined 7-Jun-08

Top Poster
2-Jun-12 2:21 pm
....LOVES to breastfeed!!! More than anything else. She would sit and do it all day long if I allowed it! And to be honest, breastfeeding is also one of my favorite things to do BUT I'm now 2 months pregnant, sick, and sore. I want to continue breastfeeding her until she is 2, which will give her a few months to adjust before she sees another baby on my boob! But I really need advice on HOW to cut the breastfeeding down. I'm serious when I say she breastfeeds probably as much as she did as a newborn! I've tried distraction techniques with toys, books, DVDs, playing, etc... I've tried offering her other food and drinks when she asks for milk...tried making sure that she has a really full belly at each meal, etc...But she'll just cry and pull at me until I give her a boob!! ALL THE TIME!! I've had 4 boys before her and never had this problem. They all self-weaned by this point. Does anyone have any advice for me!????
Baby Boy 1995 Baby Boy 2002 Baby Boy 2005 Baby Boy 2008 Baby Girl 2010 Baby Boy 2013

Joined 28-May-10

Top Poster
2-Jun-12 2:25 pm
dummy? I stopped at 18 months after cutting out a feed at a time she didnt notice.

formerly 'Tashy'

Joined 7-Jun-08

Top Poster
2-Jun-12 2:38 pm
I tried her on a dummy when she was a month or so old but she didn't want anything to do with it!! My boys were the same as your daughter, they didn't notice if I skipped a feed. But my daughter will just constantly ask for boob. Constantly! If I say 'not now', it's a full-blown tantrum. I'm normally great at disciplining and don't put up with tantrums, but for some reason because it's to do with her wanting a breastfeed, I feel guilty saying 'no'. Does anyone think it would be wrong of me to just deny her and ignore her pleas?? I think I'd probably have to go hide in a corner and cry too!! But if other people have had success with that method, I'm willing to give it a try. I'd just love to hear what others have successfully done in my situation. Thanks!!
Baby Boy 1995 Baby Boy 2002 Baby Boy 2005 Baby Boy 2008 Baby Girl 2010 Baby Boy 2013

Joined 28-May-10

Top Poster
2-Jun-12 3:56 pm
my daughter wouldnt take a dummy either at a young age but it helped her get off me! its hard as its so emotional, no answers sorry.

formerly 'Tashy'

Joined 7-Jun-08

Top Poster
3-Jun-12 6:53 am
Thanks for reply! At what age did you wean your daughter from the dummy?? Could try it but then I wouldn't want that to be her new 'addiction', Lol!

Joined 8-Apr-12

11-Jun-12 3:27 am

I have three boys and my baby boy fed till 26mths, we struggled with weaning and I am sure he would have still been feeding if I et him! We had to wean to a bottle and then wean off the bottle (after we had tried pretty much everything else some examples my clothing unable to access breast, having lots of cuddles, having distractions when looking for breast, having hubby

take over primary caring for awhile) anyway he is fine now and we are expecting again, my DS says baby can have that one pointing to right breast, the other ones mine (not that he has fed from it for a long time)!!! Goodluck :-)

four boys one angel baby

05 06 08 09 12

I love my boys!

Joined 6-Feb-12

Top Poster
23-Aug-12 12:29 am

When I weaned my ds, (who would undoubtedly still be bfing if it were up to him), I took out the most "comforting" time he breastfed first, (middle of the night).  If he woke up and asked to nurse, I just told him that it wasn't time yet & that he had to wait for the sun to come up.  Then I offered to scratch his back to help him get back to sleep.  I did this cold turkey, I just put my foot down and said no more middle of the night bfing (mainly b/c neither of us were getting any sleep!).  

I then let him continue on with day time feedings for a while. When I decided he seemed ready, I just started cutting out one feeding at a time.  When he would ask to nurse, I did the same thing as with the night feeding, just said, it's not time for boo boo yet, you have to wait until xxxx.  I would always offer to hold him, cuddle him, play with him, etc if I had to turn him down if he asked to nurse.  With the very last feeding, I just said, it's not time for boo boo and didn't say when it would be time... if he asked, I would say, I don't know.  

It's just hard!  There is no real easy way, but like you, I wanted to cut out bfing without adding another dependency that we would have to deal with later on (not that there is anything wrong with that, when weaning all is fair game!!!) I STILL miss bfing (a full year later) and could probably cry just thinking about how much I miss it!!!

Page: of 1