Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Top Gender Neutral Baby Names

I love my boys!

Joined 6-Feb-12

Top Poster
31-May-12 5:48 pm

http://blogs.babble.com/being-pregnant/2012/05/25/rising-gender-neutral-baby-names-and-how-they-got-that-way-2/

Above is the full article ^  Which dicusses the top 10 in detail

Here are the names on the list (this does not include the top 10 gender neutral names, you will have to follow the link to see them because they are  in a slideshow type thing in the article)

Boy names that girls are taking (or have taken) over:

• Reagan
  • Leighton
  • Kennedy
  • Avery (still popular for boys, but there were 1776 Avery boys vs. 7303 Avery girls born last year)
  • Reese
  • Blair
  • Sydney
  • Bailey
  • Aubrey
  • Leslie
  • Alexis (although “Alex” hasn’t lost its masculinity — almost equally used for boys and girls)
  • Brooke/Brook
  • Kendall
  • Emery (slowly drifting to the girls)
  • Taylor
  • Mackenzie
  • Madison
  • Cassidy
  • Haley
  • Lindsay
  • Riley (still very popular for boys — there were  3427 Riley boys vs. 5002 Riley girls born last year — but it’s heading in the girl direction)

Unisex names holding strong for the boys:

• Alex
  • Rowan
  • Logan
  • Angel (popular in the Latin community)
  • Casey (falling popularity for both sexes — and I imagine Casey Anthony isn’t helping)
  • Drew
  • Ryan
  • Dylan
  • Toby
  • Jaden
  • Sawyer
  • Luca
  • Micah
  • Nico
  • Carter

Joined 15-Nov-10

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

2-Jun-12 1:15 pm
It usually doesn't bother me when some names are used for girls, for example I have a new girl cousin names Colbi and for some reason it doesn't bother me but it makes me sad that Luca, Micah, Sawyer, Carter, Ryan and Toby are even on girls! I like a lt of gender neutral names or just ever so slightly masculine names or girls but there are a few where i just say "really?" lol!
"Bless this child O' Lord I pray, love her through all night and day"
1 Samuel 1:27

Baby Bear GirlAdysen 3-2007 Baby Bear GirlBaylor 7-2011 Baby Bear GirlHaidynn 1-2013

I love my boys!

Joined 6-Feb-12

Top Poster
2-Jun-12 7:16 pm

And this is one reason that I really do gravitate toward uncommon names.  At least that way, it's uncommon for boys & girls so there's not much of a problem. 

However, I went to HS with a boy named Ashley.  He was the ONLY male Ashley and there were probaby 5 girl Ashley's.  He didn't seem to get picked on or anything, though, so IDK, maybe it's not such a big deal.

My ds2's name is Rylan and I have heard that it's catching popularity with girls.  It's kind of annoying as if there aren't enough girl names out there, just choose one already and leave our boys names alone!  LOL, j/k.  I know they have every right to name their child whatever they want be it a 'boy' or 'girl' name, but it does cause more problems for boys, I think, when they end up with a gender neutral name.   I never imagined Rylan would be a girl name, it sounds very masculine to me and that is one of the reasons I chose it.  

ds1 is Jace, and I really don't see that becoming gender neutral, but you never know.

I plan for potential ds3 to be either Asher, Emmett, or Brett.  Brett is somewhat gender neutral as is Asher, I guess.  Oh well, what am I to do, there just aren't that many choices that are safe.

Joined 15-Nov-10

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

2-Jun-12 8:43 pm
My dd1 is Adysen and dd2 is Baylor... Addison and all the variants are outrageously popular but I honestly didn't know, I mean there weren't any babies in our family and I didn't look up baby names until I got pg with her, and actually I wanted to name her Elisabeth (ended up being her middle name) but I was caught in GD and her bio dad (my dh has since adopted her) picked it and I didn't argue, should have but it suits her now. When we got ph with dd2 we searched through THOUSANDS of girl names and being in and out of day care in dd1's classes I was much more versed in common names for kids. DH and I could not agree on a thing and it came down to Kelbi or Baylor and after our u/s Baylor it was! I just made a new post about some of the names we are now considering (subject to change of course!) Oh, and before we found out dd2 was a dd, I realllllyy wanted to use Bretton Stone for a boy! It's unique too!

Baby Bear GirlAdysen 3-2007 Baby Bear GirlBaylor 7-2011 Baby Bear GirlHaidynn 1-2013

I love my boys!

Joined 6-Feb-12

Top Poster
2-Jun-12 11:24 pm

I love the names Adysen & Baylor!  Adorable.  I didn't realize Adysen was so popular either.  Of course, I've never looked much into girl names, Happy Wink  I always waited until we knew what our children were before I got too serious about names.  Baylor seems like it might be a neutral type name.  I can see that name on a boy.  Funny that your dd is Baylor, the show I mentioned, Switched at Birth, one of the female main characters is called Bay (not sure if it's short for anything or not)

Bretton Stone is a great name, maybe you'll get to use  it this time! 

Joined 15-Nov-10

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

3-Jun-12 8:48 am
Thank you! I can see Baylor on a boy too, I lived by the college for a few years and had never thought twice about it as a "name" until dd2 came about! I love your boys names too, they are handsome! My eldest brothers best friend just had a boy a few months back and they names him Rylan. The dad is Ryan and their other son is Kellan and they combined the two. She said it was only after she "made it up" that she started seeing it on boys. I had to laugh because she said she made it up but anyway I think it's cute! My dad is Jason and his brothers call him Jase a lot!

Page: of 1