Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

PGD at Washington Center for Reproductive Medicine (Dr Kustin at Seattle area)

Joined 11-Feb-11

22-May-12 12:11 pm
Anyone had cycle at WCRM located in Seattle, WA area for PGD? Could you please share your experience? There are some good and bad reviews about this center. I had phone consultation. They talked nicely over the phone and answered our entire question. They said it will cost around 15,000(IVF + PGD) and 2-4k medication

Joined 16-Jun-12

21-Jun-12 3:03 am
I would love to hear any responses too! I am looking at ORM in Portland and waiting for our consult.
love my Baby Bear Boy9-13-97 Baby Bear Boy2-22-01 Baby Bear Boy12-19-04 Baby Bear Boy7-28-08  PrayBaby Bear Girl

Joined 19-Mar-12

22-Jun-12 11:28 pm

We have just completed an IVF/PGD cycle at the Washington Center for Reproductive Medicine with Dr. Kustin. I am currently 4 days post-transfer of 2 embryos and waiting to see if I am pregnant. Probably best to give you guys my opinion of the clinic before I am biased by the pregnancy outcome!

We were happy with our overall experience. We are a Canadian couple requiring IVF to conceive who opted to go down to the States because they don't let you gender select in Canada (we already have a boy who was also conceived through IVF). I found the process to be more intense than last time, but that is just the difference between how things are done in the States vs. Canada (many more injections, egg retrieval was a bigger deal surgery, etc.). We paid $14000 (they give Canadians $1000 off as a grant for travel expenses). I tried to get my meds up here so they would be covered by my plan, but there was a mix up with the quantities I was given, and I ended up purchasing about $1500 additionally in meds down there. Not sure if my plan will cover those but, again that has nothing to do with the clinic specfically, just the logistics of coordinating from out of country.

Dr. Kustin is by no means a warm & fuzzy doctor, but he seems to know he stuff - and the nurses and office staff were all exceptionally kind and caring.I am okay with a doctor who is all business and getting some TLC from the nurses anyways. They coordinated what they could for me by phone and e-mail ahead of time. The IVF coordinator Hannah was prompt with e-mail replies and very helpful. 

We had 15 eggs retrieved and 12 fertilized. By Day 4 all 12 were still viable, which was impressive. Our bad news came when 10 of the 12 came back abnormal in the PGD testing. This most  likely has to do with our ferility issues. We were left with only 2 normal - one girl (which they said looked strong) and one boy (so-so quality). We were faced with the difficult decision of what to transfer, as we had specifically chosen to go to the States to PGD for a girl. In the end, we decided to transfer both embryos back, as it is so difficult for us to get pregnant period. Both Dr. Kustin and the embryologist took the time to sit down with us and talk through this decision before the transfer.

I would recommend the clinic, they were very accomodating to us as out of town patients.We had a good outcome of 15 eggs and 12 fertilized embryos. The poor outcome of 10 abnormal was out of their control. They quoted us 75% chance of pregancy; 20% chance of twins. I will let you know what happens!

Good luck with your decisions - I would love to hear about others experiences if you decide on the using this same clinic.

Baby Bear Boy  June 2010

Pray  for Baby Bear Girl

Joined 16-Jun-12

25-Jun-12 10:02 pm
Canadian teacher, good luck! I can't wait to hear how it turned out. Thank you very much for the reply!
love my Baby Bear Boy9-13-97 Baby Bear Boy2-22-01 Baby Bear Boy12-19-04 Baby Bear Boy7-28-08  PrayBaby Bear Girl

Joined 11-Feb-11

1-Jul-12 1:52 am
Thank you CanadianTeacher for sharing your experience. We hope you get positive result from your cycle. We had initial consultation with Dr. Kustin. His staff is very nice and friendly. He has nice office too. We also had in initial consultation with other clinics in CA It is an expensive and emotional process. We are having difficulty in picking a clinic. We felt some differences in WCRM and other clinics ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- WCRM 1. Charging $14,000 2. Less travel expanses 3. No multi cycle package discounts 4. Does daily monitoring (more change of getting accurate results) 5. Offering only PGD2 (test for 2 chromosomes) 6. Does less PGDs in a year 7. Very few reviews available --------------------------------------------------- Other Clinics in CA 1. Charging $12,000 2. Less travel expanses 3. Offering multi cycle package discounts. 4. Does 2 day monitoring 5. Offering PGD2 and PGD24 (test for 24 chromosomes). 6. Does less PGD in a year 7. Can fine more reviews.

Joined 16-Jun-12

4-Jul-12 12:20 am
We have our consult scheduled with Oregon reproductive medicine on July 24th. I'm a little anxious, but very excited to get started. We had tried several times to schedule with Dr. Kustin but they took a long time to get back to us. Dr. Kustin has more reviews, but people either love him or hate him. There doesn't seem to be any middle of the road reviews.

Joined 11-Feb-11

23-Jul-12 12:44 am
Is Oregon reproductive medicine doing PGD for gender selection? ORM has good reviews. http://fertility-clinics.findthebest.com/l/111/Oregon-Reproductive-Medicine Please update us with your consultation.

Joined 16-Jun-12

25-Jul-12 2:16 am
Sorry kct I didn't see your post until now. Yes ORM does gender selection. We are just getting started and so far the clinic seems good. We never felt rushed, all questions were answered, we were reassured without feeling pressured, and I was impressed with thorough explanations. I hope that helps

Joined 9-Feb-11

21-Aug-12 11:01 pm

Canadianteacher wrote:" We have just completed an IVF/PGD cycle at the Washington Center for Reproductive Medicine with Dr. Kustin. I am currently 4 days post-transfer of 2 embryos and waiting to see if I am pregnant. "

Hi C.T.

I have contacted Dr K's office myself. Had my bloodwork done, made the appointment and then chickened out! I just wondered if you were successful and if not, are you planning to go back? Are you in the lower mainland? Looking forward to hearing from you. Baby Boy04 Baby Boy07 Baby Boy09 ttc Baby Girl

Joined 9-Feb-11

21-Aug-12 11:04 pm

Hi kct258 and all you others ttc!

Just wondering if you have decided on a center in the pacific northwest? I too, am looking. Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Page: of 1