Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

What's wrong with this 'friend' of mine??

Joined 16-Feb-12

26-Apr-12 4:27 am
I would love to have some insight what is going on in my friend's head. About a year ago I got to know a woman in a local moms group. My DS2 is about same age as her (first) daughter and she seemed like a nice person so we changed numbers and started having play dates, going for walks etc. I really enjoyed her company and our children played nicely together so I was happy to find a new friend. But lately she has started making some hurtful gender related remarks and I don't know what's going on. It started about two months ago when she first said that she could not mother a boy. I just laughed and said that I thought so too ages ago, but once you get a son that is yours, it is so special and you would not chance them for the world. She said she doesn't think she would feel that way. After that she started saying often things like " oh you poor thing, must be so hard with two boys and all that craziness..". My sons are famous for their laid back characters and have always been very calm and love to draw, play legos, do puzzles etc. They are not wild at all. So I said that to her but she just said that she hoped for a girl and got what she wanted and is very happy so. She also has said that not even her hubby wanted a son. After that she started bashing boys in general. She often said that her daughter is afraid of boys (come on, her daughter is 16 months old - can they even tell the gender) and that she doesnt like to go to certain playgrounds since there are also boys. She often tells stories that there was this angry looking 9 months old boy and her DD was so scared of him. She never tells such stories about girls. I even tested her once telling a story about a bad behaving toddler and said that she was a girl and she s all like "oh thats so sweet" and when I say that some boy did something shes all horrified. I just don't feel comfortable around her anymore. Other than these comments she still is a sweet person, but I feel like my sons are being insulted and cannot stand that. I never once insulted girls and she doesn't know about my GD. Please help, whats going on with her and what am I supposed to do?

Joined 19-Nov-09

Gold

Gold Membership

26-Apr-12 5:26 am
Firstly let me just say sorry that your 'friend' is gender bashing your boys. Reading this makes me think that maybe she is jealous of what you have, whos knows maybe she secretly wanted a boy but got a girl so she takes it out on those that have boys. She sounds jealous to me as well as not being a particularly nice friend.

Baby Boy2003

Baby Boy2006

Baby Girl 2010

Joined 1-Jun-09

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

26-Apr-12 6:57 am
I totally agree with jaxyjax. She sounds like she's trying to convince herself she doesn't really want a boy. I find myself getting defensive only in situations where you are- where someone else is bashing my kid's gender, so pretty lame that she's doing it without a reason. Tricky situation and in an ideal world, you would tell her how you feel and I suppose you could try that, but not sure it would work on someone like that. At least though she would know where you stand and how you feel. Most women know instinctually not to insult someone else's kids unless they want a mad mama bear on their hands lol. If she doesn't knock it off, I would find a new friend.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." Corinthians 13:13

Joined 5-Apr-12

26-Apr-12 8:02 am

Sounds like to me she actually DOES want a boy & is afraid she may never have one, so she puts on a front of "not liking boys" to cover that up.

Baby Bear Girl 2008, Baby Bear Girl 2010, Baby Bear Girl 2011
Hearts my girls but am Pray God sends us a Baby Bear Boy when we sway in 2013!!

Joined 16-Feb-12

26-Apr-12 8:29 am
Thanks for your comments. She just seems so happy with her daughter that I just feel like that she just hates boys for some reason.. I think her daughter is super cute and have said that to her many times. This is a hard subject to bring up but I guess I have to do that if we're continuing to see each other..

I love my boys!

Joined 6-Feb-12

Top Poster
26-Apr-12 8:49 am

Nordic mum:
Thanks for your comments. She just seems so happy with her daughter that I just feel like that she just hates boys for some reason.. I think her daughter is super cute and have said that to her many times. This is a hard subject to bring up but I guess I have to do that if we're continuing to see each other..

I'm sure she is very happy with her daughter.  However, she may still be gender bashing out of jealousy ~ it is probably unrelated to her current dd, but more connected to the fear that she will never have a ds.  I wonder if she's recently found out it will be hard to ttc another or if her dh has told her he doesn't want any more children for financial or other reasons?  Seems like something  must have happened recently to trigger all of this since she didn't seem to do that before.  

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this from a 'friend.'  

As far as advice on how to handle the situation, I've seriously just had to cut certain people out of my life before because of issues like this (mostly unrelated to my children).  Some people feel the need to elevate themselves above others to feel good about themselves and they will look for any opportunity to do so ~ be it about being a sahm vs a working mom, having a better job than you, having a better dh or ds or dd, living in a better neighborhood or town.  People are very ridiculous in that sort of way.  

You might try telling her. Look, I understand you don't like boys.  I get it.  However, when you continue to make negative comments about boys to me, it really feels like your comments are directed at MY sons and that is really hurtful.  My boys are wonderful and I love them to pieces as I'm sure you love your own dd and I would never think of making negative comments about girls in general so I would appreciate it if you could stop making negative comments about boys to me.

IDK, it's a tough situation.  These are the times when I ask myself: Is this person worth it?  before I put forth too much effort to save a friendship.  

Joined 30-Mar-09

26-Apr-12 9:50 am

I would have a really hard time continuing that friendship. No one insults my boys or my family.  I can't say this woman is jealous but clearly she is incredibly rude and insensitive.  So she doesn't like boys eh, her husbands a boy does she show the same disdain for him? I got to say sometimes I really wonder about that around this place. It sucks that you thought she would be a good friend, its not always easy making new friends at this stage in our lives but I could not tolerate that. I would either confont her or stop talking to her altogether. 

Jen

Joined 26-Dec-10

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

26-Apr-12 10:50 am

i think shes jealous too, i was. and i kinda did the same thing. not ever bashing boys but saying things about how great little girls were and how perfect they are just to make myself feel better. first time moms of little girls are some of the most over protective things on the planet. trust me i was one and i've seen us at play groups. they don't like the rowdy boys to get too close to the quiet little girls, they might get hurt.

its like that old saying... the first kid drops the bottle and you pick is up and imediantly start to sterlize it, with the 2nd kid you just wipe the bottle on your shirt and hand it back to the baby.. with the 3rd, well just let the dog lick it clean and its good enough....

she needs a few more kids!

Baby Bear Girl01, Baby Bear Girl03, Baby Bear Girl05, Baby Bear Girl09, Baby Bear Girl10Heartbroken, Baby Bear Girl11, Baby Bear Girl11Heartbroken, Baby Bear Boy12, Baby Bear Girl13Heartbroken and another little born sept 4th!!

Joined 31-Mar-11

30-Apr-12 5:19 pm
I am way off in left field perhaps, but sounds like she has some ISSUES from her own past with boys. Maybe her husband beats her or maybe a boy put her pigtails in glue in the second grade - but gee whiz! Telling you about a 9 mo old who was making some kind of scary face? Probably just trying to poop! She sounds NUTTY. Maybe SHE needs to poop? Oh, wait - girls don't poop. That's a nasty boy thing. >:)

Kimberly

Baby Bear Boy  2009 + Baby Bear Boy 2012 (Failed sway)

I never wanted boys - was hoping for Baby Bear Girl in 2012, but I'M TAKING WHAT I'VE GOT! Heartbroken

"If you want to hear G-d laugh, tell Him your plans." - Yiddish proverb

Readyforbaby3

Joined 28-Dec-10

Top Poster
30-Apr-12 8:21 pm

I agree with the others, sounds like your friend is jealous, especially since she said her dh wanted a boy.  If she was really confident and really did feel bad for you, she wouldn't feel the need to say it.

sounds like what you say in response is perfect though.  If you do want to continue this friendship, maybe say something like, "Children are a blessing no matter what gender.  It kind of hurts my feelings when you make comments like that."

Baby Bear Boy  2007 Baby Bear Boy 2010 Baby Bear Girl 2013

Joined 21-Apr-12

30-Apr-12 9:38 pm

It does sound a little like jealousy to me too and she is trying to convice herself to feel ok about not having a boy.  The part that would annoy me the most would be how unrational she is being because her daughter obviously does not have a problem with your sons.  If it were me, and it is not, I would ask her, "If you and your daughter have such a problem with boys, why are you playing with us?"  The good part is that you have not invested much in the friendship yet and should walk away from it if she is being unreasonable and unfair.  You and your family sound like very reasonable and down to earth people, and you do not need that stress in your life.  Try to understand that she is just jealous and feel sorry for her instead of angry, but there is no need to keep yourself in an uncomfortable situation. 

Joined 28-Feb-12

1-May-12 2:15 am
Jag haller med alla andra. :)

I agree with everyone else. You should not have to put up with that. I'd distance myself for a while and if subject got brought up again, which it probably will, mention that seeing as you are a boy mum maybe she should consider how this comes across to you. You do not think gender comes into it a lot but it's more to do with parenting.

Joined 5-Feb-12

1-May-12 2:24 am
islandmeadow"]

[quote user="Nordic mum:

Thanks for your comments. She just seems so happy with her daughter that I just feel like that she just hates boys for some reason.. I think her daughter is super cute and have said that to her many times. This is a hard subject to bring up but I guess I have to do that if we're continuing to see each other..[/quote] 

I'm sure she is very happy with her daughter.  However, she may still be gender bashing out of jealousy ~ it is probably unrelated to her current dd, but more connected to the fear that she will never have a ds.  I wonder if she's recently found out it will be hard to ttc another or if her dh has told her he doesn't want any more children for financial or other reasons?  Seems like something  must have happened recently to trigger all of this since she didn't seem to do that before.  

As far as advice on how to handle the situation, I've seriously just had to cut certain people out of my life before because of issues like this (mostly unrelated to my children).  Some people feel the need to elevate themselves above others to feel good about themselves and they will look for any opportunity to do so ~ be it about being a sahm vs a working mom, having a better job than you, having a better dh or ds or dd, living in a better neighborhood or town.  People are very ridiculous in that sort of way.  

You might try telling her. Look, I understand you don't like boys.  I get it.  However, when you continue to make negative comments about boys to me, it really feels like your comments are directed at MY sons and that is really hurtful.  My boys are wonderful and I love them to pieces as I'm sure you love your own dd and I would never think of making negative comments about girls in general so I would appreciate it if you could stop making negative comments about boys to me.

IDK, it's a tough situation.  These are the times when I ask myself: Is this person worth it?  before I put forth too much effort to save a friendship.  

Very wise words. I don't know how you've held your tongue so long. x

TTC#4 - praying for pink

Joined 5-Jul-09

Top Poster
1-May-12 2:37 pm
oooooheeeer"][quote user="islandmeadow"]

[quote user="Nordic mum:

Thanks for your comments. She just seems so happy with her daughter that I just feel like that she just hates boys for some reason.. I think her daughter is super cute and have said that to her many times. This is a hard subject to bring up but I guess I have to do that if we're continuing to see each other..[/quote] 

[/quote] I agree, wise words xx Very wise words. I don't know how you've held your tongue so long. x

Mrs I xxx  (was d4d - moved on from swaying pink) Cycle 11 - DS#3 Born 14th June 2011 and he is just fantastic!! BFP 11/12dpo
Heart my boys Baby Boy 2003, Baby Boy 2007   due Baby Bear Boy 20th June 2011 
 Heartbroken May'10 4w4dys Sad Flower Heartbroken July '10 5wks Sad Flower   1st non sway Cycle 11 Faint BFP on CD26!!! Pray 

Make a pregnancy ticker]       

As a parent, my boys are my world and my attempting to TTC pink was not a reflection on them or the love I have for them, I simply ached for a daughter to complete our family!!  However after 10 months I'm ready for my 3rd and final child NOW!!  I just want to be pregnant.  Swaying just didn't work for us, which makes me sad, but I'm glad we tried.  I'm scared I can't have a baby at all and that is the most important thing now, a healthy pregnancy and birth of my last child.

Cycle 11 BFP @ 11/12dpo, EDD 20th June 2011 - Stick baby, please!!
Our little angel babies, gone forever but loved and always part of our family ...
Cycle 8
BFP @ 14dpo, EDD 20th March 2011. Ended in m/c at 5 weeks.  Our little poppyseed.
Cycle 6 BFP @ 14dpo, EDD 21st January 2011.  Ended in m/c at 4wks4dys.  Our little crumb.
Onto Cycle 10 ... in the 2ww @ 30/08/10 - 2nd cycle after 2nd m/c.  Can't believe where this journey has taken me.  Never imagined I'd not be pg by now and have 2 mc's too.  I will sway this month because I cannot let go of the dream just yet.  However, I really want to be holding my baby in my arms next summer and time is running out.  Come on sticky bean, this is our month.  Let's hope it's a pink one!! Hearts

Cycle 8 ... to sway or not to sway .... ???  Maybe a TTC break is needed?!  Ended up doing a partial sway, it was all I could manage in the end! Ended in mc Heartbroken
 Cycle 6!?!  How can that be?  I fell so easily with both ds's.  I didn't expect to fall straight away, but to be on my 6th cycle is totally unexpected.  I think this will be our last month of swaying as I really want to be pregnant now and am worried we somehow aren't going to manage that.  16/04/10 Ended in mc Heartbroken

Joined 1-Apr-09

Top Poster
1-May-12 6:14 pm
I agree with all the others, esp. Islandmeadow. If she's not jealous, she's competitive and wants to raise herself up as compared to you for some reason, and that's neither pleasant nor healthy in a relationship (although too common, alas). Personally, I would drop her like a hot potato. You've already handled many insensitive comments from her graciously, and in my book, 3 strikes and you're out. If you really do feel she has redeeming qualities and are willing to try to save the friendship, then talk to her and say how her gender-bashing is hurtful (you did say she doesn't know about your GD so she may not realize this is a really sensitive topic for you). In my book, the harm is done tho, but I do realize everyone has a different tolerance level to that sort of thing and you may be more forgiving than I am!
Page: of 2