Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Our Favorite Names

Joined 21-Apr-12

22-Apr-12 9:04 pm

Ok, so here's the problemStick out tongue I'm Canadian but have been living in Taiwan for the last 10 years so haven't heard about or seen many children from back home.  We love these names for our daughter and thought that they weren't too common.  I've recently read that they are very common and I do not want our daughter to have the same name as 20 other girls in her school, but we absolutely adore these names, what do you think?

Abigail Isabella Maxeen (sir name)  Maxeen is my mother's name.

What do you think?

Joined 21-Apr-12

23-Apr-12 4:22 am

Oh no! I knew this was going to happen, I may have changed my mind already........ and will probably change it again 87 more timesStick out tongue So now, here are our two choices:

Abigail Isabella Maxeen _____________

or

Sadie Isabella Maxeen _____________

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Joined 11-Apr-12

23-Apr-12 4:39 am

Hello!

I actually love the name Abigail!  We can't use it because I have a little neice who is named Abigail (and because we have an "r" theme going in our family), but I think Abby is a cute nickname and Abigail works for a little girl and an adult.  I have never cared for Sadie, just because it sounds like a nickname to begin with, but there are several people I know who have chosen it and their little girls are adorable.  My friend has a little girl named Eden, which I have always loved as well.  Isabella is beautiful, though I think pretty popular now because of the Twilight series.  As a middle name though I think it probablly is rather unique.  Sorry if I didn't help much, but I noticed you didn't have any responses and I love Abigail, so I thought I would comment :)

Baby Boy  Baby Boy  Baby Boy  Baby Boy  and expecting a Baby Girl!

Joined 21-Apr-12

23-Apr-12 4:48 am

You have helped a lot, your response was the exact idea I was looking for.  I just want to know people's opinionsHappy Smile Every time I think I have chosen the perfect name, I always go back to Abigail.  I really do love it and so does my wife.  I'm just afraid it has lost its uniqueness.  Thanks for the response!

I love my boys!

Joined 6-Feb-12

Top Poster
23-Apr-12 4:10 pm

Abigail may not be completely unique, but you definitely don't hear it every day!  I only know one little girl named Abigail at the moment.  

I do prefer Abigail over Sadie, but Sadie is a cute name and probably less popular.  

LOVE the middle name you have chosen. Isabella is a classic name and while it's gained popularity, I wouldn't worry about that with it being a middle name.  

If you love Abigail Isabella, you should go for it.  Abby Belle would be a cute nickname, I think Hearts

Angela

Joined 20-Jul-11

Top Poster
23-Apr-12 5:26 pm
U can search online in Canada the province the vital statistics for the previous year! Abigail and Isabella are in top Five just FYI. I'm in Alberta and every name we love is in top 5/10 it sucks!

Baby Bear Boy  Baby Bear BoyBaby Bear Boy  Baby Bear GirlBorn Aug 5, 2012 at 39 weeks 5 days

Joined 21-Apr-12

23-Apr-12 9:14 pm

islandmeadow:

Abigail may not be completely unique, but you definitely don't hear it every day!  I only know one little girl named Abigail at the moment.  

I do prefer Abigail over Sadie, but Sadie is a cute name and probably less popular.  

LOVE the middle name you have chosen. Isabella is a classic name and while it's gained popularity, I wouldn't worry about that with it being a middle name.  

If you love Abigail Isabella, you should go for it.  Abby Belle would be a cute nickname, I think Hearts

Oh my gosh, as soon as you said Abby Belle as a nickname, I was totally sold.  I just love how Abigail means father's Joy! Thank you so much!

Joined 21-Apr-12

23-Apr-12 9:17 pm

Canadianttc#4:
U can search online in Canada the province the vital statistics for the previous year! Abigail and Isabella are in top Five just FYI. I'm in Alberta and every name we love is in top 5/10 it sucks!

Yes, I've checked and In BC, where I am from, Abigail is number 11.  I have also read that being in the top 10 is not the same as it was in our generation.  People are using so many different names now that the most popular names now do not even come close percentage wise as they did beofore.  For example, Abigail was used for only 0.2% of babies in BC in 2010 (I'm a bit geeky I know, sorry)and here is a quote from a website I was reading

• About 40 percent of boys received one of the 10 most common names in the 1880s, while now fewer than 10 percent do.
  • For girls, the percentage with a top-10 name dropped from 25 percent in about 1945 to 8 percent in 2007.
  • Similar results were seen for the top-50 names. About half of girls received one of the 50 most popular names until the mid-20th century. Now, just one in four have these names.

Just some food for thought, and thanks loads for the helpHappy

Angela

Joined 20-Jul-11

Top Poster
23-Apr-12 9:27 pm
ProudPapa"]

[quote user="Canadianttc#4:

U can search online in Canada the province the vital statistics for the previous year! Abigail and Isabella are in top Five just FYI. I'm in Alberta and every name we love is in top 5/10 it sucks![/quote] 

Yes, I've checked and In BC, where I am from, Abigail is number 11.  I have also read that being in the top 10 is not the same as it was in our generation.  People are using so many different names now that the most popular names now do not even come close percentage wise as they did beofore.  For example, Abigail was used for only 0.2% of babies in BC in 2010 (I'm a bit geeky I know, sorry)and here is a quote from a website I was reading

• About 40 percent of boys received one of the 10 most common names in the 1880s, while now fewer than 10 percent do.
  • For girls, the percentage with a top-10 name dropped from 25 percent in about 1945 to 8 percent in 2007.
  • Similar results were seen for the top-50 names. About half of girls received one of the 50 most popular names until the mid-20th century. Now, just one in four have these names.

Just some food for thought, and thanks loads for the helpHappy

Probably because more names to choose. Would be my guess from Many Years ago.

Baby Bear Boy  Baby Bear BoyBaby Bear Boy  Baby Bear GirlBorn Aug 5, 2012 at 39 weeks 5 days

Joined 21-Apr-12

23-Apr-12 11:23 pm

I'm not one of those parents that wants unusual names just for the sake of it.  I think these names sound trendy and cliche, but while researching I found the original Hebrew name of Abigail is Avigail.  I really like the sound of that as well.  What do you think;

Avigail Isabella Maxeen ____________

or stick with Abigail?

Haha, I should change my user name to ObsessedPapa! Stick out tongue

I love my boys!

Joined 6-Feb-12

Top Poster
24-Apr-12 10:50 am

ProudPapa:

I'm not one of those parents that wants unusual names just for the sake of it.  I think these names sound trendy and cliche, but while researching I found the original Hebrew name of Abigail is Avigail.  I really like the sound of that as well.  What do you think;

Avigail Isabella Maxeen ____________

or stick with Abigail?

Haha, I should change my user name to ObsessedPapa! Stick out tongue

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with either  Abigail or Avigail  Hearts  Yes, you probably will have to spell Avigail for people, but that's never been something that bothered me about names.  Glad you liked the nick name, which would work with Avigail as well, I think.  I'm obsessed with combo first name, middle name nicknames for little girls.. .I just think it is so cute!  

#5 coming July 2015 ?

Joined 11-May-11

Top Poster
24-Apr-12 3:00 pm

Awww... I LOVE Abby Belle!!  That is so adorable!  Happy Giggle

I love Abigail Isabella too! 

Hearts

ColeBaby Bear Boy 2004     CaidenBaby Bear Boy 2006       KodyBaby Bear Boy 2011    JaceBaby Bear Boy 2012  My UNplanned home birth baby... ♥ #5 due July 27, 2015  

"Boys are meant for kisses and hugs, For watching rainbows and catching
bugs, For sharing all of your favorite things, For books to read and
songs to sing.  Blue jeans and trucks, scrapes on his knees, Running in the Dirt, and being a tease. Making a face, and build and destroy. There's nothing like just being a BOY!" ????

Hayley

Joined 3-Feb-11

Top Poster
24-Apr-12 3:04 pm

Abigail is a fab name i love it. I know 1 abigail and thats it.

My cousin is Isabella and we call her Bella. Noth names are fab. Happy Smile

Baby Bear Girl  20/11/09 Lilah Nicole  Baby Bear Boy  10/08/11 Joel Thomas

Baby GirlBaby BoyVery proud Mummy and Daddy

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers

Joined 21-Apr-12

24-Apr-12 9:10 pm

Thank you Ladies (assuming you are all ladiesEmbarrassed) Hopefuly I can put this whole name uncertainty behind me as I think I am driving my poor dear wife bananas! 

Joined 10-Nov-09

Top Poster
25-Apr-12 6:17 pm

I named my DD Abigail, even though I too was a little worried that it was becoming too common.  It's good to know that it's not really as over-used as it would seem.  I think Abigail Isabella is very beautiful.  I call my DD Abby Rose, so I agree with the pp that Abby Belle would sound very cute.

Page: of 2