Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Can you tell the gender without open legs?

Joined 28-Jul-11

11-Apr-12 11:40 pm

Hi all,

I have two beautiful boys, and I'm desperate for a little girl. I want this to be our last baby because I have a history of miscarriages and I emotionally don't want to go through that again. So feel like this is my last chance to have a daughter. I went for an ultrasound last week (at 18 weeks and a few days), and the technician said she couldn't tell the gender when we were almost done, because baby wasn't cooperating. She had me empty my bladder to see if that would get baby moving around a little more, and it didn't. So at the end of the US, she said "well I'm REALLY not sure because the baby wouldn't spread its legs, but if I'm leaning towards boy". She repeated over and over that we'd find out for sure when baby's born (end of August -- which is way too long for me to wait), but she ended up pulling up a pic she'd taken earlier on that showed what did look to me like a penis and scrotum. :( She didn't say what angle it was from and I didn't ask because I was trying too hard not to cry, to say anything at all, but it appeared to be from the bottom. She followed up by saying that what looked like a penis could be cord, so not to take her word on it. 

I am pretty devastated. I've had over a week to process it, and I feel like a lot of my dreams have been crushed. I have booked another ultrasound at a private place that does 4d and they guarantee they'll find out the sex or you get to have another for free, so I'm looking forward to that but at the same time, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for hearing that it is definitely a boy.  The U/S isn't until May 2, so I have awhile to wait and drive myself crazy.

So I guess my question is, am I right that it's most likely a boy from the shot she got, or is there a good chance that it was a cord? Sorry, I don't have a picture to share - she gave us a couple and I actually can't find them ATM, however they were both from the waist up, profile shots.

Thanks everyone. I am really struggling with this, so I'd appreciate any opinions.

Baby Boy 2007  Baby Boy 2009  And awaiting another Baby Boy due late August