Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

What is the best PGD/IVF clinic in NYC?

Joined 1-Apr-09

Top Poster
11-Apr-12 7:30 pm

As per your experience and knowledge, what is the best clinic in NYC for PGD/IVF? I guess I'm looking for the East coast equivalent of HRC (Dr. Potter).

Thanks!! Happy

Joined 1-Apr-09

Top Poster
16-Apr-12 8:28 am

Anyone at all? Maybe I should ask the best clinic on the East Coast?

Sportsfan1

Joined 12-Apr-12

17-Apr-12 12:50 pm
I am in the process of looking for one in the NYC area also. I have just been searching for clinics on the web but I would like to know if anyone has used any of them. I came across certain centers such as New Hope Fertility Center, Center for Human Reproduction and The Fertility Institutes. The last one has been shown on '60 minutes'. They also seem to have different prices. Hopefully someone will give us advice.
xx - 2011 xx - due 8/2012

Joined 1-Apr-09

Top Poster
18-Apr-12 12:05 pm

sportsfan1:
I am in the process of looking for one in the NYC area also. I have just been searching for clinics on the web but I would like to know if anyone has used any of them. I came across certain centers such as New Hope Fertility Center, Center for Human Reproduction and The Fertility Institutes. The last one has been shown on '60 minutes'. They also seem to have different prices. Hopefully someone will give us advice.

Thanks for the info. The Fertility Institutes seems like a good place because they're specialized in PGD.  Anyone here ever use the, in LA or NYC? I watched a few of the videos in their site - very interesting.

Joined 1-Apr-09

Top Poster
18-Apr-12 5:17 pm

I have a bit of feedback. I emailed the Fertility Institutes today and got a quick response. Considering my age and the fact that I'd only want one embryo transferred (there's just no way I could handle twins when going for a 3rd child is already a stretch), my chances for a live birth would be 45-50% according to them. However, their cost is a whopping $25K for one cycle. From what I gathered here, it was more in the 15-18K range at other clinics. That seems like a big price difference to me. Of course, they'll argue their staff is more qualified perhaps translating in a better success rate, but still, that's a whole lot of $$.... 

Joined 21-Jun-11

Top Poster
18-Apr-12 7:53 pm
Wow 25k? And then if it doesn't work and you try again it's another 25k? Do any of them have the option for 3 attempts? I know some do right? Even refunding partial amount if it doesn't work? Or that's not if you are doing pgd?

Sportsfan1

Joined 12-Apr-12

18-Apr-12 10:06 pm
Photo-Girl:

I have a bit of feedback. I emailed the Fertility Institutes today and got a quick response. Considering my age and the fact that I'd only want one embryo transferred (there's just no way I could handle twins when going for a 3rd child is already a stretch), my chances for a live birth would be 45-50% according to them. However, their cost is a whopping $25K for one cycle. From what I gathered here, it was more in the 15-18K range at other clinics. That seems like a big price difference to me. Of course, they'll argue their staff is more qualified perhaps translating in a better success rate, but still, that's a whole lot of $$.... 

I emailed The Center for Human Reproduction Clinic (CHR) and gave them some info such as my age. They sent me an email stating that their center is well recognized as a leading center in gender selection. Their costs range from $12K - $15K per cycle. That seems more reasonable than $25K! I noticed that Fertility Institutes had very high prices. I'm a little turned off by that. You should check out CHR and see what they tell you.

Joined 1-Apr-09

Top Poster
19-Apr-12 8:56 am

hope1212:
Wow 25k? And then if it doesn't work and you try again it's another 25k? Do any of them have the option for 3 attempts? I know some do right? Even refunding partial amount if it doesn't work? Or that's not if you are doing pgd?

No idea... I'd have to email them back.
If anyone knows, pls feel free to chime in!

Joined 1-Apr-09

Top Poster
19-Apr-12 9:08 am

Interesting, thanks. I will look in CHR then.  Did they mention their success rate? Basically, for a couple aged 38-39 with good fertility and just one embryo transferred, what I want to know is the chance for a live birth after one cycle. That's what it boils down to for me because 1) I can't risk twins and 2) not sure I want to go thru more than one IVF cycle for financial reasons but also because I'm pretty sure it's taxing physically and emnotionally (I feel that with one try at HT, which is already relatively "extreme", I'll be at peace, even if it doesn't work).

Sportsfan1

Joined 12-Apr-12

19-Apr-12 11:59 am
Photo-Girl:

Interesting, thanks. I will look in CHR then.  Did they mention their success rate? Basically, for a couple aged 38-39 with good fertility and just one embryo transferred, what I want to know is the chance for a live birth after one cycle. That's what it boils down to for me because 1) I can't risk twins and 2) not sure I want to go thru more than one IVF cycle for financial reasons but also because I'm pretty sure it's taxing physically and emnotionally (I feel that with one try at HT, which is already relatively "extreme", I'll be at peace, even if it doesn't work).

They didn't tell me exactly what the pregnancy success rate is, they just mentioned that they are close to 100% accurate in gender selection. I think clinics have to know your history and give you a full evaluation in order to know what your successful pregnancy rate will be. I guess you can email them and see if they can give you an estimate of the rates. I totally agree with you...I would want to get pregnant on the first try as we cannot afford to go for multiple cycles and I wouldn't want to put my body through all of that. Personally, I would want to have 2 embryos transferred as it will probably increase the chances of a successful pregnancy. What if one doesn't take? At least you would have a chance for the other one taking instead of going through another cycle. I know there is a chance for twins but I would take my chances (but that is just me). hope1212 - As for the multiple attempts, I think CHR offers that but only to infertile couples. I don't know if it will be offered to us since this is elective. If anyone has information on that please let us know.

Sportsfan1

Joined 12-Apr-12

20-Apr-12 1:22 pm
I have one more clinic that I have contacted that is in NY. It is OFRM. I emailed them for information and a physician emailed me back. They explained the procedures in detail and their success rates. They check the chromosomes for a healthy embryo in order to have a woman achieve a successful pregnancy. The success rate for a healthy pregnancy in a woman in her mid 30s is 70% - 75% since all the chromosomes are checked. The rate is about $16,000 but not including the medication. they have been doing elective gender selection for 6+ years and they have payment options. Is 6 years long enough?

Joined 1-Apr-09

Top Poster
20-Apr-12 1:30 pm

sportsfan1:
I have one more clinic that I have contacted that is in NY. It is OFRM. I emailed them for information and a physician emailed me back. They explained the procedures in detail and their success rates. They check the chromosomes for a healthy embryo in order to have a woman achieve a successful pregnancy. The success rate for a healthy pregnancy in a woman in her mid 30s is 70% - 75% since all the chromosomes are checked. The rate is about $16,000 but not including the medication. they have been doing elective gender selection for 6+ years and they have payment options. Is 6 years long enough?

UM, I would be comfortable with 6 years. And 70-75% is good.

Joined 21-Jun-11

Top Poster
20-Apr-12 2:25 pm
I think the problem with one embryo and one time is that it can happen but is rare. After you put yourself through the hormones and all the testing I would think, atleast for me, that if it didn't take I'd want to give it a couple more tries.. esp since it seems like it takes 3-4 tries for most couples. That's why maybe one of the places with the package of 3 attempts is better? I don't know.. We have talked about doing this, but are expecting DS3 in a few weeks.. what if we did have twins??? That would be 5 kids! Yikes. Kind of wish we looked into it after DS2 since 4 kids seems more doable. I'd love to hear what you are all learning. I feel like I've now heard some negative on New Hope.. like they are more like a factory.. just care about collecting the money etc.

Joined 19-Sep-09

Top Poster
20-Apr-12 3:28 pm

Photo-Girl"]

[quote user="sportsfan1:

I have one more clinic that I have contacted that is in NY. It is OFRM. I emailed them for information and a physician emailed me back. They explained the procedures in detail and their success rates. They check the chromosomes for a healthy embryo in order to have a woman achieve a successful pregnancy. The success rate for a healthy pregnancy in a woman in her mid 30s is 70% - 75% since all the chromosomes are checked. The rate is about $16,000 but not including the medication. they have been doing elective gender selection for 6+ years and they have payment options. Is 6 years long enough?[/quote] 

Sorry to be a debbie downer here, but I had to chime in... An RE can claim whatever pregnancy rate they want to claim/you want to hear, but the only thing I believe is the official stats that they report to SART or CDC. The 75% pregnancy claim that they made peaked my interest, so I found their OFFICIAL stats online: https://www.sartcorsonline.com/rptCSR_PublicMultYear.aspx?ClinicPKID=2002

Dismal. The 2010 data for under 35 looks more or less decent, but other age groups are way lower than national average. If you check other years, they are even worse. Plus, they don't treat a lot of patients a year - under 50. I can see than 20% of their patients do PGD, but this is still not enough PGD experience for a clinic. You want a clinic that does hundreds of biopsies a year (they don't have to do PGD in-house, they might send removed cells to an off-site lab, but they MUST have an experienced lab tech who can biopsy an embryo without damaging it). OFRM do not take a lot of difficult patients (only 7% with a diminished ovarian reserve), so I wonder why their pregnancy rates are so low?

Sometimes an RE might claim that since you do not have fertility problems, their stats do not apply to you, your chances are much better. I call bs on this one, too. Think about it, many women do IFV for male infertility, which means that these women are reproductively healthy, so once ICSI is done and embryos are created, it is a level paying field - they have the same chance of getting pregnant as gender selection patients do.

Browse the SART and CDC websites, do a google search on this site for the clinics in your area (type your query into google and then add site:ingender.com), there is also a top post on this forum listing clinics that would do GS for you. Sorry, I do not have any experience with NY clinics as I cycled at HRC.

XY 2009

MS/IVF/PGD2/FET XX 2011 - thanks to Dr. Potter and Lori!

XX 2013 (FET)

Joined 1-Apr-09

Top Poster
20-Apr-12 7:58 pm

Zora Astor"]

[quote user="Photo-Girl"]

[quote user="sportsfan1:

I have one more clinic that I have contacted that is in NY. It is OFRM. I emailed them for information and a physician emailed me back. They explained the procedures in detail and their success rates. They check the chromosomes for a healthy embryo in order to have a woman achieve a successful pregnancy. The success rate for a healthy pregnancy in a woman in her mid 30s is 70% - 75% since all the chromosomes are checked. The rate is about $16,000 but not including the medication. they have been doing elective gender selection for 6+ years and they have payment options. Is 6 years long enough?[/quote] 

[/quote]

Sorry to be a debbie downer here, but I had to chime in... An RE can claim whatever pregnancy rate they want to claim/you want to hear, but the only thing I believe is the official stats that they report to SART or CDC. The 75% pregnancy claim that they made peaked my interest, so I found their OFFICIAL stats online: https://www.sartcorsonline.com/rptCSR_PublicMultYear.aspx?ClinicPKID=2002

Dismal. The 2010 data for under 35 looks more or less decent, but other age groups are way lower than national average. If you check other years, they are even worse. Plus, they don't treat a lot of patients a year - under 50. I can see than 20% of their patients do PGD, but this is still not enough PGD experience for a clinic. You want a clinic that does hundreds of biopsies a year (they don't have to do PGD in-house, they might send removed cells to an off-site lab, but they MUST have an experienced lab tech who can biopsy an embryo without damaging it). OFRM do not take a lot of difficult patients (only 7% with a diminished ovarian reserve), so I wonder why their pregnancy rates are so low?

Sometimes an RE might claim that since you do not have fertility problems, their stats do not apply to you, your chances are much better. I call bs on this one, too. Think about it, many women do IFV for male infertility, which means that these women are reproductively healthy, so once ICSI is done and embryos are created, it is a level paying field - they have the same chance of getting pregnant as gender selection patients do.

Browse the SART and CDC websites, do a google search on this site for the clinics in your area (type your query into google and then add site:ingender.com), there is also a top post on this forum listing clinics that would do GS for you. Sorry, I do not have any experience with NY clinics as I cycled at HRC.

Wow, thank God you did chime! 70-75% did seem a bit unrealistic to me, too good to be true. I wish HRC were closer to us, but I'll do the search that you recommended on here. I guess I'm back to square 1: finding an equivalent to HRC in NYC....

Page: of 3