Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

How do I start with the best chance of success?

Joined 27-Mar-12

4-Apr-12 8:39 am
Hi everyone! I'm pregnant with my third baby and the closer i get to the due date the more I start freaking out about breastfeeding. My back story is this. I had my first boy 6 years ago and i breastfed him on demand. I went to his one month check-up and he hadn't even gained one pound yet so they sent me straight to a lactation consultant. I was put on domperidone 4 pills 4times a day and I nursed him while using the lactation aid with pumped milk or formula in it. After every nursing session i pumped each breast for 20 min each. Flash forward to him being 6 months old and i still wasnt producing enough milk on my own, and was still using the lactation aid. Needless to say it was more than discouraging and i gave up at that point. Three years ago i had my second son, i read the jack newman book, watched all his videos and really thought i was prepared this time...HA! My lil guy was born, he wasnt gaining weight properly :s Went to a breastfeeding clinic before he was a week old. Got his latch perfect and i had to use the lactation aid for one month and was on domperidone for 6 months before i could slowly wean myself off. By the time i got myself off the medicine he was 8.5 months old and from then to 11 months i breastfed with no aids or medicine! So my question is...how do I start breastfeeding this baby in a way that works so that i dont have to use the lactation aid or domperidone? Should I start pumping after every feed? Should i wake the baby every 2 hours to nurse? Should i just get used to the fact that im unable to do this on my own and ask the doc for a prescription of domperidone? Help please! I don't want to fail at this...again. Thank you for reading :)

Joined 14-Sep-11

4-Apr-12 11:34 am
Every baby I had I had different breast feeding experiences I nursed up to 2 years give or take and w the one I seemed to have problems with I used mothers milk tea found in natural food stores and I pumped after every feeding which really boost my milk supply...every baby is different I'd definateley nurse. And pump and try the tea...I used the medulla double breast pump the hospital grade a little pricey but well worth it
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Angela

Joined 20-Jul-11

Top Poster
4-Apr-12 12:51 pm

I am giving you this link - as its a great breastfedding link with FAQ - I nursed all my kids and never found this link until withink thelast 3 months.  I wish you success- it sounds like you have a supply issue.  Maybe talking with someone pregnant they can help.  

here is the link 

http://kellymom.com/

Baby Bear Boy  Baby Bear BoyBaby Bear Boy  Baby Bear GirlBorn Aug 5, 2012 at 39 weeks 5 days

Angela

Joined 20-Jul-11

Top Poster
4-Apr-12 12:53 pm

I also wanted to give you this other forum link - as they have a breastfeedingone- and may be more busy - as In gender is down and maybe you will get more replies on this other forum.  again wish you luck.  i read on kelly mom- The previous link I sent you -pumping in the 1st 6 weeks can decrease yoru supply- not sure if I read that right but I saw in yoru other post - you mentioned baout pumping.. 

http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/4615093/ShowForum.aspx

Baby Bear Boy  Baby Bear BoyBaby Bear Boy  Baby Bear GirlBorn Aug 5, 2012 at 39 weeks 5 days

Joined 27-Mar-12

5-Apr-12 7:47 am
Thanks so much! I will definelty check those out. Im a little confused about the pumping thing since i've heard you should and you shouldn't. I just desperatley want it to go well this time you know? It's kinda discouraging to think that I won't be able to do it on my own :( Here's hoping third times a charm!

Joined 8-Apr-12

11-Jun-12 3:38 am

Hiya, just wanted to say you haven't failed!! Good on you for your dedication with feeding your babies.

Every pregnancy and breastfeeding experience is different like u said maybe third times a charm.you are already arming yourself with power in the knowledge you are gaining. Some websites that can help are laleche league, Australian breastfeeding association or kellymom.

Goodluck enjoy your baby, try not to stress. :-)

four boys one angel baby

05 06 08 09 12

Joined 26-Mar-07

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

26-Jul-12 7:55 pm
Did you ever get any answers about why you had supply issues? It sounds like you did everything right! Herbs can be helpful (I have taken fenugreek and blessed thistle, three capsules of each three times a day, or however much you need to make your sweat smell like maple syrup). But those probably won't be as effective as the domperidone. It wouldn't hurt to start taking them right away though. I would also suggest seeing a lactation consultant immediately and having your baby examined by an osteopath right away. None of my babies could nurse effectively until they were treated by an osteopath. I hope the third time is the charm for you!

Mom2RJA Baby Boy R, 2000 Baby Boy J, 2003 Baby Girl A, 2009 MS/IUI 10/2/07 at GIVF, natural cycle, 1 follicle, 94.7% sort purity, BFN MS/IUI 8/25/08 at HRC, Clomid + Ovidrel, 3 follicles, 92.99% sort purity, BFP!!! Beta #1 on 9/9 (15 dpo): 153, Beta #2 on 9/11 (17 dpo): 395 

mom2rja@gmail.com

RJA Feet

Joined 27-Apr-12

Top Poster
26-Jul-12 9:36 pm

As someone said each breastfeeding experience is different. I would suggest to boost your supply (if that is a problem this time) to eat lots and lots of green leafy veggies. Try to avoid certain foods such as cabbage as it sometimes can dry your supply up. Also oatmeal, mother's milk tea, and cookies with flax seed are great ways to boost your supply. Hope this helps! :)

3 yrs ,  2yrs,  1 yr, and another  due May 2014

Joined 27-Mar-12

24-Oct-12 12:03 pm
Hi all! Thanks so much for all the great tips and ecouragment. It's nice to hear don't give up from other moms when most the time i get "Obviously your not able to make enough milk, just bottle feed already" in real life :( My babe was born on July 9 at 9lbs and regained her birth weight at the one week appointment!!! Best doctors appointment ever! Thats the first time that that happened with one of my bubs. At her two month appointment she weighed 12lbs 3oz! Lately though she's been really fussy at the breast, pulls back, scrunches her face, screams and flex's her body. She's also started cat napping during the day. I'm wondering if maybe my supply is going down? Has anyone had this happen? I'm thinking of maybe pumping the opposite breast when she's eating but im worried that she will be even more hungry as she usually eats from both sides? Any ideas? Please and thanks :)

Joined 27-Apr-12

Top Poster
24-Oct-12 3:08 pm

What your going through sounds completely normal. If you are concerned though with your supply going down I would suggest making lactation cookies and drinking mother's milk tea. Both should help great increase milk supply. She may have an allergy to something your eating too. Such as dairy. I would suggest trying to cut out something in your diet and see if that helps. 

3 yrs ,  2yrs,  1 yr, and another  due May 2014
Page: of 1