Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Need some good news. Any gender guess on our little bean?

Joined 2-Apr-12

2-Apr-12 10:34 am

(Everything has been ok in our pregnancy, but then I had my NT scan a couple of weeks ago (I was 12 weeks, 4 days).  Our scan came back abnormal for increased nuchal fluid.  Of course, our risk isn't calculated until it's combined with the results of our blood test as well.  I received a call from the genetic counselor and my PAPP-A level in my blood was low.  Both the scan measurement along with my blood level, made our baby's risk for Down's Syndrome jump up way high.  We decided to hold off on an amnio for now and instead did a new non-invasive blood test and we are currently in the agonizing days waiting for a call from the doctor with results!)

To get our mind off of the stressfullness that we've been dealing with, I thought it'd be fun to see if anyone is able to gather a pretty good gender guess based on a side view we received at our NT scan.  Again, these pictures were from when I was 12 weeks, 4 days. 

This is the same photo twice, just one is closer up and a little grainier, and the other is a further one that the detail might be more easily visible.  I posted them both so I'd love to hear your thoughts. I do see a nub, but I am no good when it comes to the angle of the dangle!

We already have a little girl who is 5.  Obviously, there's the obligatory "We just want a healthy baby" statement, but I thought it'd be fun to see what your guesses are!

Thanks...

Stacy

Full-size image

Joined 2-Apr-12

2-Apr-12 10:40 am

Here's the other photo!

Full-size image

Joined 21-Jun-11

Top Poster
2-Apr-12 10:44 am
Hi Stacy, I just want to let you know with our DS1. We had the same thing and a very poor delivery on the news as well. We were really pressured into doing a CVS and we did it kind of against our better judgement. Needless to say, everything was perfectly normal. With my second pregnancy I had super low Papp-A again.. but the down syndrome risk wasn't as high.. with our first it was 1 in 20, with our second I think something more normal range like 1 in 1800. Now we are expecting DS3 and this is the first pregnancy that my Papp-A was normal... go figure.. I actually thought early on it meant maybe I was having a girl ;) Anyway, they gave me so many extra U/S with my first two pregnancies it was insane.. They were looking for low birth weight, premature birth, etc etc. With my first I did deliver him early.. was induced about 2 weeks early for having low amniotic fluid and they actually tested my placenta because it was so small.. but our baby was 7.5 pounds and almost 22 inches.. so there was no lack of growth ;).. with DS2 he came about a week early, no complications.. and was almost 9lbs!!!! no joke! So, try not to get too freaked out. I think they are not 100% of why some women have low Papp-A.

Lena

Joined 15-Jun-07

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

2-Apr-12 10:45 am

I hope that the test comes back all clear for your new baby.  I'm not sure I'm seeing a nub in this pic.  It looks more like a bit of the thigh there.  Do you have any more profile pics?

Hayley

Joined 3-Feb-11

Top Poster
2-Apr-12 11:57 am

Sorry to hear about all the stress you are dealing with and i hope your tests go well. I cant make out a clear nub in that pic any others? 

Baby Bear Girl  20/11/09 Lilah Nicole  Baby Bear Boy  10/08/11 Joel Thomas

Baby GirlBaby BoyVery proud Mummy and Daddy

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers

Joined 2-Apr-12

2-Apr-12 12:12 pm

Thanks guys for the well wishes on our little one!  Hope1212..it sounds like you understand all too well how you can go from just floating through pregnancy with the normal excitement, and then be rocked to find out something could be wrong with your baby.  So stressful.  I'm so glad things turned out well for you!  That gives me hope and maybe they are just erring on the side of caution...

Ok, so I do not have ANY other pictures, BUT I do have the entire ultrasound on video and it's on youtube.  Link is below.  Maybe the video is even better than posting a picture? In the beginning, she's taking random measurements, but the tech starts to see and measure baby at :45 in....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoBiYpLKuso&list=UUSJ6Aiy9IxdjQ2bV_fAvR1w&index=1&feature=plcp

Ok, so what are the guesses now?  :)

Hayley

Joined 3-Feb-11

Top Poster
2-Apr-12 12:23 pm

Wow what an active baby. Im going with Baby Bear Boy

Baby Bear Girl  20/11/09 Lilah Nicole  Baby Bear Boy  10/08/11 Joel Thomas

Baby GirlBaby BoyVery proud Mummy and Daddy

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers

Joined 2-Apr-12

2-Apr-12 1:32 pm

We would be so suprised and overjoyed with a boy!  (We already have a girl) Of course, we'd be excited with a girl too...but you understand! :)

Any other guesses??? 

Joined 14-Mar-12

2-Apr-12 1:55 pm
We also had low Papp A and high Bhcg. I know how difficult the wait is and wanted to say I am thinking of you. How low was your PappA?
Team yellow. First baby due end of May 2012

Joined 29-Jul-10

Top Poster
2-Apr-12 1:57 pm
WHAT an active baby! Congrats! Slight girl lean from me but I'm new at this.

Thank You God and Our Lady!

Abbey Speaks Nalls's photo.

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1m.lilypie.com/CUgKm6.png[/img][/url]

Sad Flower  12/2012 & 02/2013

Joined 2-Jun-11

Top Poster
2-Apr-12 1:57 pm

I am going to guess boy.

I went through a Down Syndrome scare with my son. His nuchal fold was normal...thought on the high end of normal...2.1 I think. With my b/w chances came out to 1/100 chance. I did decide to have the amnio and he does not have down syndrome. I know how stressful this is. For me I had to get the amnio because the stress of not knowing was driving me insane. I will be thinking of you and hoping all is well with your little one. 

Me (33) DH (33)

DD - 08/15/08

DS - 12/06/11

Lena

Joined 15-Jun-07

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

2-Apr-12 2:09 pm

Slight girl lean from the video but baby is so wiggly and there are only quick glimpses of the nub here and there so I may be wrong. 

Joined 2-Apr-12

2-Apr-12 3:25 pm
(This is a fun distraction from our stress.  On Friday, I was sick to my stomach thinking about test results and today, I’m having fun refreshing this page….)  J   

Any more guesses?  So far it looks split down the middle!  Some say boy, some say girl...

Joined 2-Apr-12

2-Apr-12 3:29 pm
Jamie11579…Man, you can totally relate to what I’m going through!  Our nuchal measurement was 2.9mm.  I guess anything under 3.0mm they still consider “normal” but they really preferred it to be under 2.5mm I guess.  So it was “elevated”.  Then, on my blood work, my HCG was great, but my PAPP-A was .69.  I guess they wanted it to be closer to 1.0.  They told me it wasn’t crazy low, but enough to cause concern when coupled with my scan measurement.  I odds went from 1 in like 4,000 to 1 in 85.  We were too late for a CVS and I really thought about the amnio, but we were lucky enough to get that new test from Sequenom covered by our insurance.  It’s called MaterniT 21.  Have you heard of it?  I guess it has a 99.1% success rate at detecting Down’s Syndrome.  I figure if the test is positive, then we will move on to the amnio.  But I’m praying, praying, praying that it doesn’t come to that.  If I am ever pregnant again, I’m not sure I’d ever have the NT scan done again!  I totally see why you had the amnio…I couldn’t wait either.  I would have to know (to prepare of course) in case there was something wrong with the baby. 

Joined 2-Apr-12

2-Apr-12 3:31 pm
Kat1476…It sounds like you can relate to NT Scan blood levels being off!  My HCG was perfect, my PAPP-A was .69.  I guess they wanted it to be closer to 1.0.  They told me it wasn’t crazy low, but enough to cause concern when coupled with my scan measurement.  Did yours result in a healthy pregnancy and little baby?
Page: of 4