Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Those of you with all one gender

Readyforbaby3

Joined 28-Dec-10

Top Poster
29-Mar-12 8:27 pm

What do you say when people ask if you're gonna "try" for the opposite gender?  That comment always annoys me.  I haven't told many people that we're ttc but I've told a few friends and everytime they say "Hoping for a girl this time around?"  Yeah that would be nice but I would have wanted a third child regardless of what I already have.  I know they don't mean anything  by it but I wish so much emphasis wasn't placed on gender.  Something like "Oh how nice" would suffice.

Baby Bear Boy  2007 Baby Bear Boy 2010 Baby Bear Girl 2013

Blessed with 4 <3

Joined 21-Jan-10

Top Poster
29-Mar-12 9:03 pm

Personally I am just straight with people, not rude but short & sweet.  I already know I am having my 4th DS, BUT have not told anyone.  I get the, awww I bet you're hoping for a girl all the time.  Well DUH people who wouldn't want the opposite gender after 3 of the same in a row...I just come back with actually I am just hoping for a healthy baby! 

I know most people don't "mean" anything by their comments BUT others are just rude.  Like for instance one time I had a complete stranger say to me at the grocery store (with all 3 boys in tote) awwwww you poor thing, I sure hope you are having a girl this time.  I wanted to say ummmmmm excuse me *beep* LOL...but I quickly replied with why poor me?  I have 3 healthy kids and 1 on the way regardless of what's between their legs.  She looked at me like she had seen a ghost, I just smiled and walked off.

I know there is no way to stop what people say, we just have to be quick with the come backs  :)

Hearts 

Joined 27-Mar-12

29-Mar-12 9:10 pm
I said a few times " Why would i try for the opposite gender when i have perfected the art of making boys!" mostly ppl look at me strangely but seriously people?! It normally doesnt bother me except when they say it in front of my oldest because he understands being almost 7.

Blessed with 4 <3

Joined 21-Jan-10

Top Poster
29-Mar-12 9:11 pm

bookreader:
I said a few times " Why would i try for the opposite gender when i have perfected the art of making boys!" mostly ppl look at me strangely but seriously people?! It normally doesnt bother me except when they say it in front of my oldest because he understands being almost 7.

Agree

Hearts 

Joined 5-Feb-12

30-Mar-12 6:48 am

I usually reply with something outrageous:

"no, we're hoping for a puppy"

"the couple we're selling it to may be hoping for a boy"

"I'm not pregnant!"

Ha.

Joined 17-Feb-10

Top Poster
30-Mar-12 7:04 am
I'm done with babies now, i'm content with my 2 girls and when i tell people i often get 'oh don't you want to try one more time for a boy?' Before i had DD1 i always wanted a boy but once she came along i was happy with what i had. I didn't mind what my 2nd baby was either. If i had a 3rd baby i'd be thrilled with another girl or a boy but people don't understand that i really don't want any more babies! One of my friends keeps on at me saying 'i can't believe your done and not having anymore, do you really not want a boy?' My answer is always the same, I AM DONE WITH HAVING BABIES!!!!!!!

Joined 13-Mar-09

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

30-Mar-12 9:01 am
Yes I can't stand the "are you going to try again for a girl?" comments! It bothers me because the implication is that my boys must not be good enough, only a girl could make me happy which is so insulting to myself and my children! My reponses are usually along the lines of "well actually I love having boys, they're a lot of fun so if we have another baby a boy would fit right in!" or "we are most likely done but I enjoy being a boy mama so much that I'm not sure what I would do with a girl!". Basically I just play it off and try to send the message that I don't "need" a girl because my boys make me happy, which is absolutely true.

owl siggy

Joined 20-Aug-11

Top Poster
30-Mar-12 10:23 am
wildwooddays:

What do you say when people ask if you're gonna "try" for the opposite gender?  That comment always annoys me.  I haven't told many people that we're ttc but I've told a few friends and everytime they say "Hoping for a girl this time around?"  Yeah that would be nice but I would have wanted a third child regardless of what I already have.  I know they don't mean anything  by it but I wish so much emphasis wasn't placed on gender.  Something like "Oh how nice" would suffice.

I say, "What for?  In the words of my mom, boy or girl, they're all a pain in the a**".  Okay okay, I usually only say that to people I'm close with, lol.  If it's someone I'm not on a close personal level with, I usually just say that we are more than happy with our three sons and would love a fouth just as much.

Baby BoyBaby BoyBaby Boy and and a a baby Baby Bear Boy due May 30th, 2013!

Joined 20-Aug-11

Top Poster
30-Mar-12 10:24 am

Southern Butterfly:
Yes I can't stand the "are you going to try again for a girl?" comments! It bothers me because the implication is that my boys must not be good enough, only a girl could make me happy which is so insulting to myself and my children! My reponses are usually along the lines of "well actually I love having boys, they're a lot of fun so if we have another baby a boy would fit right in!" or "we are most likely done but I enjoy being a boy mama so much that I'm not sure what I would do with a girl!". Basically I just play it off and try to send the message that I don't "need" a girl because my boys make me happy, which is absolutely true.

I use the "I'm not sure what I'd do with a girl" line either.

PS: Your avatar melts me every time I see it!  Gah, so stinkin' cute!

Joined 13-Mar-09

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

30-Mar-12 1:26 pm
BellaVita:

Awww thank you, you're too sweet! How old are your little fellows?

owl siggy

Joined 20-Jan-12

30-Mar-12 8:15 pm
My family has been waiting for a BOY since last 30 years !!! My Poor Mommie had no sons , felt she would atleast have a Grandson & even that hasnt happened so far (5 grand-daughters back to back ) Ask us how we feel !!! CONGRAGULATIONS on your little one :)))

Baby Girl 2008    Baby Girl 2010 Expecting Baby Girl in Nov 2013

Joined 9-Jul-08

Top Poster
31-Mar-12 9:07 am

I used to be more defensive about this question back when I had just 1 or 2 boys. I really think people are just curious as to whether families with all one gender are going to try for the opposite. That said, I would be offended if it was someone who heavily favored girls and was implying that my boys aren't enough, etc.

I usually now answer the question with "Probably, I would love to add a girl to the family, but if it's another boy we'll be just as blessed." Which is true. Happy I sometimes will add that dh and I always wanted 4 or 5 kids so that is what we care about most.

Baby Bear Boy '06 Baby Bear Boy '09 Baby Bear Boy '11

I'm in no way "disappointed" that I have sons, I just want the chance to raise a daughter as well. Happy Wink

Want to try for a Baby Bear Girl early next year! Pray

formerly Saggyrl11

Joined 20-Aug-11

Top Poster
31-Mar-12 9:52 am
Southern Butterfly"][quote user="BellaVita:

[/quote]

Awww thank you, you're too sweet! How old are your little fellows?

You're welcome. 10, 8 and 4. :) 

Joined 1-Apr-09

Top Poster
31-Mar-12 7:08 pm

saggyrl11:
I used to be more defensive about this question back when I had just 1 or 2 boys. I really think people are just curious as to whether families with all one gender are going to try for the opposite. That said, I would be offended if it was someone who heavily favored girls and was implying that my boys aren't enough, etc.

Exactly how I feel too. I think most people are just making conversation and don't mean anything by it. Kinda like when you have only one (I had an only for some time) and people ask when you're having another. It depends whether or not I feel the person is judging by making the comment, and of course, alas, some rude people do judge and make hurtful comments, whether total strangers, acquaintances, friends or relatives. If someone was implying that having an only or having all one gender was "deficient" in any way, I would be offended. I mean, it's the same when a married couple gets asked when they're going to have kids - they may not want kids - they may feel happy and complete simply as a couple and that's ok - no one should judge or pity anyone for such life choices or situations.

Btw, good comebacks girls! I will make mental note of them for when I need them (which I hope is not too often once DS2 is born....).

Page: of 1