Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

How to do O+12: Idiot Guide! **Can this be stuck into FAQ?**

Joined 7-Mar-11

Top Poster
2-Feb-12 8:16 am

I have written a really simple guide to help with O+12, I thought it might be of use for some of you if you have just joined & are confused by it all.  This is based on how i carried out my own O+12 attempts (I got my BFP on my 4th cycle of doing exactly what I have written)  See below: it is in 3 sections due to the length of affecting the layout

TAKE TIME TO READ THE WHOLE GUIDE & OPEN UP ALL LINKS AS EVERYTHING IN HERE IS RELEVANT...Read ALL pages of the guide as very good questions have been asked & answered

O+12 Idiot Guide!

Temps will not help you  find O+12 exactly, however, they can assist you in predicting Ov & confirm that Ov has taken place (it is too late for O+12 once you have had the temp spike, the egg will be dead by then re Tamara's advice.  The page which first explains O+12 is out of date & Tamara is unable to edit it)

The best way to predict Ov is by using Clearblue Digital OPK’s 4x daily to catch the very beginning of your LH surge-once you get your first smiley your count down begins to O+12.  (O+12 is usually 36hrs after first smiley, but this can vary from woman to woman)   

Buy the 20 pack from Amazon/eBay as they are nearly 50% cheaper than buying them in the pharmacy stores.  Order them on your CD1 so they arrive in time that way you won’t be wasting money if you get a BFP!

Start testing with CB OPK’s 2 days before you expect to Ov at approx these times:  (Use first morning urine with the 8am test (you can use fmu with digitals just not regular opks's) & you must hold your urine for four hours inbetween testing to ensure urine quality  for accuracy of the test) 8am, 12pm, 6pm & 10-11pm.  
  • Ok, you have your first smiley!  This means you are likely to Ovulate in the next 24hrs (for most women, again this can vary)  Start watching your Cervical Mucus, Position & Texture.  Do not test again now, it will be a waste & no help whatsoever, save the remaining tests for your next cycle incase of bfn

• You want your CP to be medium/low height (at Ov cp is usually high) ** Don’t worry too much about this as it can change position through out the day, so this is just an indication if you know your body well enough**

·        CT will feel like pressing the tip of your nose & slightly less open or closed at O+12 (or like pressing your lips at Ov. It will never feel fully closed if you have had children but it will feel more open during Ov)

·        CM will either be gone completely or creamy with no stretch (hand lotion consistency) & ph will be low; 4ish

·        You are now at O+12. (this will most likely be 36hrs after your first smiley)

·        You & DH take Sudafed approx 30mins before dtd to lower your ph & dry up semen & cm a bit.  Both have a HOT shower (sudafed pseudoephedrine)

·        You take cranberry supps x2 30 mins before too, to help keep ph low

·        DTD missionary position using SYLK & no BIG O!!!

·        All over?  Put pillow under your hips & lay there for 30 mins at least, & you need to drink Crystal Light ALL day & for the next 3 days…..you are now in the 2WW!

·        Do not bother checking CP/CM/CT after this attempt now because you will drive yourself insane as semen can look like EWCM & panic you. 

Joined 7-Mar-11

Top Poster
2-Feb-12 8:26 am
Very important points to remember: You need to control Dh sperm count to lower it by either complete abstinence for 7 days or more or by Frequent Release (by dtd with condom or hand jobs etc.....no sperm inside of you!)  2-6 days is PRIME boy making sperm so you must trust that he doesn't see to himself if abstaining or, if doing FR, that he doesn't miss a day out!  FR is a good alternative to abstaining if your DH is older than 35 as abstaining for a long time can kill his sperm off completely.  (or indeed if he is just not prepared to have no sexual activity whatsoever)

No dtd without a condom all cycle until your one and only shot at O+12 (you can not dtd after this one attempt for minimum of 3 days to ensure you do not raise your ph incase your body tricked you & you have got your timing wrong....keeping your ph low should still help to sway girl if this the case.)

Take recommended supps for the times stated by IG & diet.  (I didn't really do well with the diet (skipped breakfast & just upped calcium intake & lowered salt but that was it, ate normally.  DH didn't diet at all) 

The supps DH& I took were: (Af to O) 1200mg Calcium Citrate, 15,000mg Cranberry, 250mg Magnesium, then I took Folic Acid 400mg & Vitex 400mg (all cylce).  DH also took Liquorice Root 1600mg (Af to O)  Take the ones that work for you & stay within the IG guidelines (see ttc girl ebook in FAQ)

Drink tons of Crystal light the week leading upto O & for three days after.

O+12 is the name for this method, it is all about doing dtd after Ovulation:  therefore if your attempt has to be done at O+8 (due to lifestyle etc) this is ok to do.  Or you can wait for O+16 if really need be (try not do it after O+16 if possible due to the lifespan of the egg coming to its end)  As long as you have seen the changes you are good to go!

O+12 is a one time only shot at conceiving all cycle.  Do not dtd at O+8, then again at O+12 & again at O+16 as this will raise ph which can result in boys (Whilst researching I have seen many sway opposites from hardcore sways & many have have dtd a few times from O+8/O+12 onwards)

Do not do cut off/O+12 combo:  I think this is pointless because the egg will most likely be fertilised by the waiting sperm in the fallopian tubes by the time you reach O+12.

The term TRUE O+12 is often misunderstood as meaning dtd at O+12 with DH abstaining for 7 days onlyThis is wrong.  TRUE O+12 is only dtd once during the whole cycle (with DH either completley abstaining or FR) You will still be doing TRUE O+12 if you dtd using a condom if DH is FR daily -this is where the confusion lies); It is having absolutely no chance of having any waiting sperm in your fallopian tubes from previous bd'ing.  Just the batch of sperm from the O+12

Joined 7-Mar-11

Top Poster
2-Feb-12 8:33 am
 Remember that O+12 can be at anytime of the day or night.  It is usually 36hrs from your first smiley.  Example:  if your first smiley was at 12pm on Friday midday you would dtd at midnight (or approx 10-11pm) Sat night   (Practice run yours first though as you could be longer or shorter than this, keep a very close on your cm/ct/cp & note down how long has passed from first smiley to the change)

How to check for CP: Wash hands thoroughly, put one leg on toilet seat/bath & bend slightly forward at the waist, insert middle finger & you'll feel the tip of your cervix (round & bump shaped)  Wash hands again after.  Happy Wink

Hearts Hope this helps some people   Hearts

**Tamara has put in a recent post that we Ovulate at approx the same time our AF starts, so this may help in pinpointing O+12 **

Remember, You are looking for that shift.. not the hours after O.  Some women shift 8 hours after O some 14 hours after O.  So you not aiming for '12 hours' but rather that shift for YOUR body.  It might be easier to think of it as if it was named 'body chemistry shift after O' instead!

MUST READ LINK: http://www.ingender.com/cs/forums/t/246296.aspx

** It is a good idea to post a link to your Fertilty Friend BBT chart so if you ever need guidance/insight from a fellow IG-er all the relevant info is to hand: Follow Tamaras directions in this link how to do it: http://www.in-gender.com/cs/forums/t/44133.aspx

Brandi

Joined 28-Sep-11

Top Poster
2-Feb-12 10:19 am

Thanks so much! This was def a question I was begging to have answered and I didn't want to feel stupid for not knowing this much about my body. You put a lot of effort into this and I want you to know that if no one else, it helped me!

Baby Bear Boy 2007 Baby Bear Boy 2008 Baby Bear Boy 2010 and due September 2014

Joined 31-Mar-11

Top Poster
2-Feb-12 2:39 pm

thanks for that info. One question - why Clearblue OPK are better then others?i used very ordinary ones, that were very cheap, and i also did check 4 times a day....when i got first positive, i knew i will have ovulation in approximately 24 hours...

Baby Bear Boy2008, Baby Bear Boy 2010, Baby Bear Boy 2012 ... i love my boys, but is this the end of the road for me, or would i try again for a mother-daughter dream to come true?

The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of the parents.  (C.G.Jung)

Joined 21-Jun-11

Top Poster
2-Feb-12 3:02 pm
Also, I thought once you O you need to stop taking cranberry since you risk a miscarriage.. no?

Joined 7-Mar-11

Top Poster
2-Feb-12 4:08 pm
littlebee3:

thanks for that info. One question - why Clearblue OPK are better then others?i used very ordinary ones, that were very cheap, and i also did check 4 times a day....when i got first positive, i knew i will have ovulation in approximately 24 hours...
If regular opk's work well for you then stay with them. I just personally found them difficult to interpret but found I had no cause for confusion using the clearblue digitals.

Joined 7-Mar-11

Top Poster
2-Feb-12 4:21 pm
hope1212:
Also, I thought once you O you need to stop taking cranberry since you risk a miscarriage.. no?
Yes you do stop taking cranberry from O to Af but I don't think taking 2 supps at O+12 will make you miscarry as you have to wait another 6 or so days for a fertilised egg to implant. Taking 2 to keep your ph down for the following couple of hours is unlikely to hinder implantation. I would take it to mean to stop taking cranberry all the way through your cycle-then this could pose a risk (like many other things such as caffeine) It is your choice, if you would rather not take the 2 cranberry supps at this time you don't have to.

Joined 21-Jun-11

Top Poster
2-Feb-12 6:55 pm
No, that's true I don't think it can hurt before you dtd on o+12, just wondering about the 3 days after?

Joined 8-Apr-10

Top Poster
2-Feb-12 7:56 pm
I wrote a really simple guide to help my friend with O+12, I thought it might be of use for some of you if you have just joined & are confused by it all.  This is based on how i carried out my own O+12 attempts **************** THANK YOU BEQUITA!!!****************** Great help - I really appreciate your time & effort X

Update! Identical twin girls! Baby Bear Girl Baby Bear Girl

Our family: Baby Bear Boy 2008 Baby Bear Boy 2010 Baby Bear Girl Baby Bear Girl 2013

Joined 14-Aug-11

2-Feb-12 8:10 pm

Bequita, thank you for putting all these together. This is GREAT! Do you think if my O+12 window is only a few hours (I will post this issue separately), then should I move on to cut off method or dtd at O timing (as long as pH is 4.5 or below)? Also, if my pH is low 4s around O time, should I still drink CL? What else does CL do to my body other than lowering pH?

Joined 7-Jan-12

2-Feb-12 11:39 pm
This is brilliant! Thank you so much Bequita! Great to have all the info. Going to save it into a word doc. X

Baby Bear Boy  Dec 06 and Baby Bear Boy Sep 08

Joined 7-Mar-11

Top Poster
3-Feb-12 12:46 am

hope1212:
No, that's true I don't think it can hurt before you dtd on o+12, just wondering about the 3 days after?

No, I can see where you have gotten confused Happy You dont take the cranberry 3 days later, you drink Crystal Light for the follwowing 3 days!   

To clarify, I only took 2 cranberry supps approx 30 mins before dtd to keep my ph low for a few hours after dtd & this was the last time I took them till AF/Bfp! But, I drank Crystal Light (yuk! Yuck) all day & for the next 3 days because it really lowered my ph.  I have added the supps that I took & how long for incase anyone else misunderstood this Happy

Joined 7-Mar-11

Top Poster
3-Feb-12 2:43 am

cilantro2011:

Bequita, thank you for putting all these together. This is GREAT! Do you think if my O+12 window is only a few hours (I will post this issue separately), then should I move on to cut off method or dtd at O timing (as long as pH is 4.5 or below)? Also, if my pH is low 4s around O time, should I still drink CL? What else does CL do to my body other than lowering pH?

Glad it has helped!  Hmmmmm, I'm not sure about Cut-Off, I really haven't researched it, I just decided to go with O+12 & researched that for hours & hours!  I think it would be helpful if you do write a whole new post with as much info about your cycle as possible & hopefully people with experience of it will chime in.  I think I would still try to O+12 even with a short window (but it depends on how long you have been ttc & how patient you are (I am not patient at all!)  Regarding your ph, I would probably still drink Crystal Light (but not loads of it).....practice this coming week now & see what it does to you  (I think if your ph is too low & it can prevent conception) Good Luck Clover

Joined 15-Jan-10

Top Poster
4-Feb-12 1:43 am

Thank you Beq! If I don't fall pg this month, I will use this guide on our next attempt! 

Love my Hugs BearHugs BearHugs Bear dearly

Expecting baby #4 in October Hearts

Page: of 12