Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Just found out we got pregnant naturally and I'm scared

Joined 20-Jun-09

17-Jun-11 11:29 pm

I was waiting for my period to start so we could do our lupron cycle and then do IVF. We had been TTC for a little over a year and used Microsort for genetic reasons.  We had five IUIs and even tried naturally, but it didn't work.  So we were going to use microsort with frozen sperm and do ivf.  Then my period kept not comming, and the other day I got a BFP.  

On the one hand i am excited and happy-- we are trying be cautiously optimistic since this early anythign can happen.  I am not quite six weeks yet.  On the other hand I am scared. We were using Microsort for genetic reasons-- there is Autism risk. My brother and I both have Autism Spectrum disorders.  And he is much more severe than I am.  

What if I am pregnant with a boy and it he has developmental disabilities? Especially a severe one?  It is so hard to have disabilitis... I don't know what I will say to him. I honestly didn't think I would get pregnant when I did (my husband was out of town when I thought I would be ovulating--  guess my cycle was odder than I knew!). 

I am nervous.  I am sure we will be ok one way or the other ( I do work with kids with developmental disabilities so I kind of know what I would be doing), but I can't help feeling a little overwhelmed and uncertain.

Joined 27-Jul-11

1-Aug-11 6:59 pm
First of all congrats on your BFP. Wow!! I don't know exactly what you are going through but try not to stress unless you know you have a reason too. You have a 50/50 chance that it's not even a boy and if it IS a boy you have a chance that he will be perfectly healthy (I am not sure on the statistics but you may know).

Joined 26-Apr-11

11-Aug-11 5:21 pm

I think it's normal to feel scared knowing the hardships that could face your child. As parents we all hope for healthy baby's and the thought of having one that might have more challenges is frightning. I don't think you should stress. Even worse case scenario you have a boy and he does have it. You know first hand the challenges he will be facing. You can help him and support him. Also research and awareness has come a long way. There is a lot of help and support and resorces for children that have Autism.

Baby Bear Boy Taysen-2003 Baby Bear Boy Porter-2005 Baby Bear Girl Kylie-2008 Baby Bear Boy Paxton-2012!

TTC a 2014!!

Joined 20-Jul-10

Top Poster
6-Oct-11 9:25 am

Congrats on your natural pregnancy, that is amazing! I agree with the others, take it one day at a time and see what happens. Maybe it's a girl and you will have no worries? And if there are autism issues, DIAM is right, there are a ton of resources for support. I know a few autistic children and they are awesome. Not that that makes you feel much better, I'm sure, but just try not to worry until you have a reason to worry and take good care of yourself. 

Baby Girl 2002 Baby Girl 2005...TTC Baby Boy or anything- 16th month now...10wkHeartbroken in May, 5wkHeartbroken in January. MFI/ very low sperm count (<2m) diagnosed September 2011.

Joined 21-Apr-07

6-Oct-11 7:02 pm
Congrats on the pregnancy. I had alot of worrys with my last baby too because I had conceived too soon after a molar pregnancy. but she turned out healthy, hoping your baby is healthy too!. in the mean time try not to drive yourself mad over the what ifs , try to think positive.
Baby Girl 93Baby Girl97Baby Girl99Baby Girl02 TTCBaby Bear BoyPray
Page: of 1