Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Another study proving that timing intercourse does not affect gender

You can call me Al

Joined 24-Feb-10

Top Poster
4-Feb-11 8:50 pm

Conception can occur only near the time of ovulation. However, the number of fertile days before or after ovulation is uncertain. Estimates range from 2 days per menstrual cycle1,2 to 10 days or more.3,4 Other issues related to fertility also remain unsettled. For example, what is the frequency of sexual intercourse that will maximize a couple's chance of achieving a pregnancy? If intercourse is poorly timed or infrequent, will sperm that have aged in the female reproductive tract before ovulation produce a less viable conceptus? Can a couple influence the sex of their baby by timing their intercourse in relation to ovulation? We addressed these questions in a prospective study of healthy women who were trying to conceive.

Full text

You can call me Al

Joined 24-Feb-10

Top Poster
4-Feb-11 9:13 pm

In this study, they speculate that perhaps intercourse timing may seem to be correlated to gender ratio because of an actual relationship of gender ratio to length of the follicular phase.

In 1979, a scientist named Harlan studied a group of married Orthodox Jews that achieved conception.  She studied married Jewish women in Israel who
practised abstention from sexual intercourse for 7 days after the cessation of menstrual bleeding, as required by orthodox ritual. Date of first intercourse was inferred from the date of the wife's visit to the ritual bath (mikve), presumed to mark the resumption of marital relations. She found a statistically significant relationship between the timing of the mikve visit and the proportion of boys born, with an excess of boys among cycles where the ritual bath was 2 days after presumed ovulation.

While Harlap (1979) interpreted this as suggesting an effect of timing of intercourse vis-a-vis ovulation, her data are open to a different interpretation. Lacking a direct marker, she inferred the date of ovulation in conception cycles by subtracting 14 days from the woman's usual cycle length. This approach relies on the fact that the luteal phase of the cycle is relatively fixed, lasting -13-14 days. However, the group characterized as having a late visit to the mikve must have predominantly been those whose usual menstrual cycle was short, i.e. those who had a short follicular phase. For women with a typical menses length of 5 days, intercourse could resume on cycle day 12, according to ritual. A woman whose usual cycle length is 24 days would usually ovulate around cycle day 10, 2 days before the ritual bath. In this way, women judged to have visited the mikve 2 days after ovulation must have predominantly been those with short cycles and short follicular phases. It was only in this particular small group that Harlap (1979) found an unusual sex distribution. The high male to female ratio seen in these women may have been due to the preponderance of short follicular phases in this group,
and only incidentally related to the timing of intercourse relative to their estimated day of ovulation. If there is a relationship between the timing of intercourse in relation to ovulation and the sex of the baby, then our finding could porentially be explained in part by a relationship between the patterns of intercourse and the length of the follicular phase. We observed no such relationship. All couples in our study were trying to conceive, and in most cycles intercourse had been reported close to the time of ovulation and earlier as well. Pregnancy could rarely be attributed to a single event. During the fertile interval consisting of the 6 days up to and including the day of ovulation (Weinberg et ai, 1994), intercourse was reported on an average of 2.5 of the days, with no difference in this total for cycles in which boys versus girls were conceived. Moreover in our data, closeness of intercourse to day of ovulation was not related to the sex of the baby.

FULL TEXT

just want 1 pink one plz

Joined 26-Jul-10

Top Poster
5-Feb-11 12:42 am

thanks al makes me feel even better bou bedding through O.....

i have 2 Baby Bear Boy aged 5 and 2 yrs old...... tried swaying for 10 mths with no pg n now im just ttc............ on clomid this mth as its 12 mths............... hoping its worked............

was bettyboo...........needed a change...................

after 18 mths of ttc we finally got a bfp........... the mth we dtd twice............ after mths n mths of dtd alot turns out it works for us to not ttc................due in jan............. cant wait

found out its a Baby Girl.......... so blessed........ so lucky.cant believe it.................

Joined 19-Jul-10

5-Feb-11 1:29 am
Very interesting article. For those ttc girls, it looks like taking B6 from AF onwards might be a good idea. If my memory serves rightly, B6 can delay ovulation if taken before it occurs so you could lengthen your follicular phase and increase your chances of producing a girl, as suggested by this article.

HeartBaby BoyHeartBaby Girl

Joined 2-Sep-10

Top Poster
5-Feb-11 3:56 am
Sorry, but my brain started turning into mush while reading that. LOL ! Please explain it to me the way you would to a 6 year old.

Baby Girl'92 Baby Boy'99 Baby Girl'03 Baby Girl'10 and a Baby Boy Nov 2011 Thank you God.

Joined 4-Feb-09

Top Poster
5-Feb-11 4:12 am

Interesting so are they hypothesising that later O means an increased chance of female conceptions?  I think I am out of luck then as DS#1 was conceived on CD24 and DS#2 on CD35.

Baby Boy7, Baby Boy5, HeartbrokenNov 09, Heartbroken Feb Baby Boy 1

Loving life with my three amazing boys & now Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Joined 19-Jul-10

5-Feb-11 7:28 am
Aabroo- they think that if you ovulate earlier in your menstrual cycle, you have an increased chance of having a boy. If you ovulate later in your cycle, there appears to be an increased chance of conceiving a girl. They took a few guesses but they're unsure why this is but it's the pattern they found in their study & in the findings of other researchers' studies. :) Tulips- you might've ovulated late in your cycles and got boys; but what about the other factors involved? At the time, how was your diet, pH, hormones, ionic balance etc? It's been said many times on here that timing seems to be the least important of the sway factors so you're definitely still in with a fighting chance :)

HeartBaby BoyHeartBaby Girl

You can call me Al

Joined 24-Feb-10

Top Poster
5-Feb-11 9:09 am

As I was researching everything for my attempt, the conculsion I drew was that timing intercourse had little effect on the resulting gender (with the exceptin of O+12 which seems to have a fair amount of antecdotal success) and for me,taking ovulation induction medication and coming off a D&C, I had no chance of correctly guessting my O with any accuracy.  So, we threw that out the window and DTD every day from CD9 through the day after O.

I have recently read some posts here regarding the Dutch study and gender and diet and the poster has been quoting some statistics that seem very odd to.  The Dutch study had the women go on a girl diet and also time intercourse the Shettles way - 2-3 day cutoff before O.  Of the resulting 32 pregnancies, 81% had girls.  The poster went on to say that for the women that adhered strictly to the diet but not the timing protocol, that 20% had girls.  Which, would draw the conclusion that diet had no effect whatsoever and that timing was responsible.

It freaked me out because, as you can see below, it's too late for me, and now I am second guessing my sway!  So, I started delving in a little deeper.  I can't for the life of me find the full study of the referenced Dutch diet study - just the abstract.  But I found several stdies that didn't link intercourse timing to gender at all and then the second one I posted which hypothesised that the reason science previously thought there might be a correlation between timing and gender was because of an actual correlation between follicular length and gender.

You can call me Al

Joined 24-Feb-10

Top Poster
5-Feb-11 9:12 am

Oh, and I'd like to mention that there are NUMEROUS studies that indicate that the rate of conception is much higher when intercourse occurs within 12-24 hours of ovulation.  Which is why I think a lot of our girl swaying buddies are taking forever to get pregnant - even when it was easy for previous pregnancies.  The 2-3 day cutoff might be leaving them with very little to no sperm when ovulation occurs.

So, if you want to conceive quickly, have sex the day before, the day of and the day after ovulation and stick to your diet!

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

5-Feb-11 1:58 pm

alsestis:
  I can't for the life of me find the full study of the referenced Dutch diet study

that happens a lot.  When a study first comes out they allow it to be free for a few  months then change it over.  A lot of the studies I have posted were once all full studies and are now only abstracts. 

dddd ds
My IG Blog.................... 7 Sway Factors: Diet, pH, Minerals, Hormones,
Swaying E-book .............................Ions, Supplements and Timing
...........................................................They are all linked together
Other diets:

You can call me Al

Joined 24-Feb-10

Top Poster
5-Feb-11 4:37 pm

Tamara - what do you make of the table that was posted under the Dutch Study thread?  I think there were 5 births conceived with excellent maternal girl diet but without the 3 day cutoff timing method prescribed that results in 1 girl and 4 boys.  Are we making a mistake by leaving timing out of our sway?  Some of us have old hubbies and think that 3 days before O would be counterproductive to conception.

Can you weigh in here?

This study concluded that neither timing of intercourse nor follicular length had any bearing in sex ratio:

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/13/5/1397.full.pdf+html

Most postinest poster

Joined 9-Jan-06

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

5-Feb-11 8:23 pm
I don't have time right now to look at the table again, but timing does matter a little or I wouldn't still have it on the 7 sway factors
dddd ds
My IG Blog.................... 7 Sway Factors: Diet, pH, Minerals, Hormones,
Swaying E-book .............................Ions, Supplements and Timing
...........................................................They are all linked together
Other diets:

Joined 17-Apr-07

5-Feb-11 11:38 pm
alsestis - your sway looked great! I really think you did everything humanly possible and I hope you hear pink soon! I think the Dutch study is just a particularly well done, prospective, modern study and I can follow their data flow well, that's why I am so impressed and will probably go for a 3 day cut off combined with diet. However, everyone has to do what is best for them - nothing is 100%. Try not to worry about it too much, I am sure you have a pink bean in there! And CONGRATS on your BFP!!

2 sweet DS's Baby Bear Boy 2004  Baby Bear Boy 2007

IT's A GIRL!!!

Swayed and prayed hard for a DAUGHTER, expecting her!!! December 2, 2012

Joined 17-Apr-07

5-Feb-11 11:41 pm
Oh and sorry I cant post full text, as Tamara said, it is a copyright thing. I have access through the University I am a professor at and we are contractually bound to not circulate unreleased articles.

2 sweet DS's Baby Bear Boy 2004  Baby Bear Boy 2007

IT's A GIRL!!!

Swayed and prayed hard for a DAUGHTER, expecting her!!! December 2, 2012

You can call me Al

Joined 24-Feb-10

Top Poster
6-Feb-11 11:29 am

Thanks, hun!  I am really second guessing myself.  Why didn't we do a darn cutoff?  DH and I wanted to get pregnant so bad that it really just didn't seem to matter at that point.  And I knew that when I would be on the other side of the fence, I would be wondering...

There is so much pressure from the whole family to will this bean into a girl that I feel I'm going to be a big failure and disappoint everyone.  Not to mention all that useless yogurt.  Blech.

Page: of 3