Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Please help - Slow Rising HCG Levels

Joined 6-Jun-09

Top Poster
13-Jan-11 11:05 am
Hello, After losing a baby last year and trying for almost a year to get pregnant, I finally got a BFP on New Year's Day. I think I am due in September, but since the September 2011 forum isn't open yet, I am hoping someone due in August can help me. When I got the BFP, I ended up going to the fertility doctor I have been seeing b/c he likes to monitor everything closely. They did my first HCG, which was 50. 2 days later it was 114, which was fine. Two days after that it was 195. It didn't double, and I was nervous, but the doctor said they look for a 66% rise in 48 hours, which happened, so he wasn't concerned. Four days later (this past Tuesday) the level was 573. Again, it didn't double, but it was over 66%. (66% would have been 523). When the doctor called, he said that there is a 50/50 chance that it could be ectopic or an impending miscarriage. I am beside myself and absolutely sick over this. I am also so confused. Everywhere I read, it says that as long as there is a 66% rise, that is considered in the normal range, and it should double within 48-72 hours.. According to the online calculators, my HCG is doubling every 61 hours, or 2.5 days. I called the doctor back and asked him why he is now concerned, when on Friday he wasn't. He said it is because there are 2 tests that are below the doubling mark. I wish I had just waited until I was 8 weeks and gone to my regular OBGYN because this is, quite possibly, causing me an unwarranted amount of insane stress. Please, someone, anyone, can you tell me if this has happened to you or if you have ever heard of this. Today when I went for the bloodwork, I started crying to the nurse, and she said they see this all the time. About half the time everything is fine. I don't know what to do but my stomach hurts from the stress of this and i can't calm down. I am looking for any information I can find. Thank you so much.
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/293c9b

Joined 22-Jun-06

Top Poster
13-Jan-11 12:57 pm

First of all (((hugs))) to you!  I'm sorry you're going through this.  Second of all this has not happened to me but I've done a lot of googling and reading about hcg this pregnancy and read sooo many stories of people with slow doubling times that go on to have happy, heathy pregnancies.  I think the forum "the bump" has a lot of stories on it.  From what I've read hcg is just a number, high, low and normal, people get worried about it!  Please, don't stress so much and try to enjoy your pregnancy!!  Here's to a H&H 9 months.  Keep us posted.

Baby Bear Boy2002 Baby Bear Boy2005 Baby Bear Boy2007 Baby Bear Boy2011

Heartbroken 8/28/10 chemical pg

Heartbrokenm/c at 10wks our Baby Bear Girl our sway would've worked if she would've stayed with usHeartbroken

Joined 20-Jun-10

Top Poster
13-Jan-11 2:51 pm

HUGS! I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this! I haven't had this happen to me personally, so I'm not sure about the slower rising hcg levels, but kryfar is right seems like it has happened to a lot of mammas.

you're right, the stress is too hard! did the doc mention doing an u/s to rule out ectopic pregnancy or to see if there is indeed a sac at this point? You should be at least 5-6 weeks by now and they'd be able to tell I think....I wish you the very much of luck and lots of sticky baby dust!!! keep us updated!

Baby Bear Boy(5/07),Sad Flower(6/2009),Baby Bear Boy(5/2010)HeartsBaby Bear Girl(9/2011)

Joined 11-Feb-10

Top Poster
13-Jan-11 3:38 pm

I'm sorry you have this added worry.  I agree with brotchengal, is your doc going to do an u/s to rule out an ectopic?   They might not be able to see a heartbeat at this point, but definitely a sac and a fetal pole.

Hope everything is ok.

Baby Boy '04  Baby Boy '07  http://www.thatboard.com/smf/Smileys/classic/angel2.gif '11 ||   You can email me at ig-kitten@wildmail.com

Joined 6-Jun-09

Top Poster
13-Jan-11 5:40 pm
I got the phone call tonight that the levels only rose by 200 when it should have been closer to 600. The doctor feels that something is definitely wrong - either an ectopic or an impending miscarriage. I have to go tomorrow for an ultrasound so he can check my tubes. I am not sure what will happen from there. Saying I am devastated is an understatement. It's like I'm reliving the horror of losing the baby a year ago, although I was 16 weeks at time so it was even worse. The baby had a fatal chromosomal abnormality last time. I just can't believe this is happening to me again.

Joined 22-Jun-06

Top Poster
13-Jan-11 6:32 pm

Venus1 I am so sorry.  (((hugs))) My heart goes out to youSad FlowerPlease let us know what happens tomorrow.

Heartbrokenm/c at 10wks our Baby Bear Girl our sway would've worked if she would've stayed with usHeartbroken

Joined 22-Jun-06

Top Poster
13-Jan-11 6:41 pm

I don't want to give false hope but I've seen so many stories where things do turn out okay there's also stories on here where women went to get second opinions and it turns out they were right to.  I really hope to see you writing one of these success stories too.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Maternal--Child/success-stories-of-people-who-had-hcg-numbers-that-were-slow-to-rise---anyone/show/168359

Joined 21-Jun-10

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

14-Jan-11 1:40 pm
Venus, you and your babe are in my thoughts and prayers. I add my hope to everyone's that everything is ok!
Married since 2000 with Baby Boy 2002, Baby Boy 2004, Baby Boy 2009 & due with Baby Girl or Baby Boy in August 2011 Bfp at 9 dpo on 12/14/10! My Ovulation Chart ig.for.such.a.time@gmail.com Lilypie Maternity tickers

Joined 20-Jun-10

Top Poster
14-Jan-11 2:40 pm

keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! keep us updated!

Baby Bear Boy(5/07),Sad Flower(6/2009),Baby Bear Boy(5/2010)HeartsBaby Bear Girl(9/2011)

Joined 3-Aug-08

Top Poster
14-Jan-11 9:27 pm

I too am hoping that you get good news at your u/s today. Sounds like you have been though enough already.Good Luck Clover

Baby Boy 07 Baby Boy 08  Heartbroken Baby Boy Valentines Day 11 Heartbroken Baby Girl Aug 11 - always love & miss you my twin girl. Baby Boy 15/02/12 Baby Girl 6/9/13. Totally blessed. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Joined 6-Jun-09

Top Poster
15-Jan-11 7:18 am
THere never seems to be good news where I am concerned. The doctor was not able to entirely rule out an ectopic pregnancy yesterday with the US, but he saw blood in the uterine cavity and my HCG barely rose at all. He is sure this is a non-viable pregnancy. At this point, I am praying to miscarry naturally or I will have to go in for yet another D&C. I have to go back Monday for another US. I am so depressed that I can't get out of bed. I felt like finally everything that happened last year was over and done with and I could move on with this pregnancy. Now I am back to square one. I don't even know if I will try again. Maybe somebody out there is trying to tell me something. I feel like a black cloud is just settled on me and will never go away. I"m so sad. And sitting here waiting to start bleeding is just torturing me even more. :-(

Joined 5-Sep-09

Top Poster
15-Jan-11 8:00 am
Awe, Venus1, I'm so so sorry. I can't imagine how hard it is to have 2 m/c in a row, especially the one having been in the second trimester. You are in my thoughts. I hope you can have a natural m/c and that it's not long befor you are blessed with a happy/healthy & sticky pregnancy. Please try to get some rest. Sometimes bad things happen to us so that when amazing things happen we can truely appreciate them.

* Married 2008 * Lost Angel 2008 *
* Baby Girl Jan 2010 * Baby Girl Aug 2011 *

Mom to profoundly deaf daughter with 2 cochlear implants
and profoundly proud of her :)

Joined 22-Jun-06

Top Poster
15-Jan-11 7:20 pm

Ohh Venus1 I am so, so, sorry.  You don't deserve this.Sad Flower Stay in bed with the covers over your head and take it easy on yourself.  I am hoping for you that you will m/c quickly on your own and that soon you will have a wonderfully sticky pregnancy.  Take care of yourself (((hugs))).

momof3boysandaangel

Joined 19-Mar-07

Top Poster
15-Jan-11 10:42 pm

I am so very sorry..I am praying for you.

Baby Boy (7) Baby Boy (5)  Baby Boy (3)  Heartbroken one lil angel baby m/c 12w2d (July 5, 2007)    Heartbroken  another sweet lil angel 7weeks (October 11, 2010)

Baby Girl DUE AUGUST 15, 2011 THANK YOU JESUS FOR ANSWERING OUR PRAYERS

Praying for a baby Baby Girl    

Make a pregnancy ticker

Joined 8-Jan-09

16-Jan-11 1:56 am

Im so sorry, and I cant even imagine the pain you must be in right now.

Big hugs to you at this difficult time.

Baby Boy 2006

Baby Boy  2008

Little Angel - 10w

Little Girl Angel - 11w

Baby Boy or Baby Girl Due in June

Page: of 2