Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Turnips (Carbohydrates or just veggie?)

Joined 7-Jul-06

Top Poster
29-Nov-10 8:15 am

I have been so confused on what to count Turnips as.  I usually follow a food program counting carbohydrates, milk, fruit, fat etc.  I have a certian amount of each.  My old nutritionist made the diet up for me after I had #1 and I try to follow it after I have a baby. 

Now with turnips I read on a few sites that they count strictly as vegetables.

On Thanksgiving I ate an entire container of them.  They were so good.  I do not know though if you can count them like you were eating string beans.  Most greens are like freebies. 

I just find it hard to believe that turnips almost taste like potatoes and when I look them up it only says to count them as a vegetable serving.  They do not come under the starchy vegetable list.

I guess when I weigh myself next, I will see if they have any effect on me.

I need to loose 15 pounds.  Baby is 6 months and the first 15 dropped of so quickly.  This last 15 pounds has been rought.  I just started being very strict. 

Thanks so much.

Baby Girl 1-03 Baby Girl 12-06 Baby Bear Girl 5-10 - VBA2C

(Tryin4Pink)

Joined 17-Sep-07

Top Poster
14-Dec-10 2:30 pm

Turnips are a vegetable.

Turnips are a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables, along with broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, collard greens and more.

When it comes to turnips, most people focus on the root, but the greens of this plant are also incredibly healthy (and have a pleasant, slightly bitter flavor).

So, are you asking the nutritional value? I guess I'm just confused. 1 cup has 36 calories, 8 g of carbs, 2 g of fiber, 5 g of sugar and loaded with vitamin C. They are good for you, so I'm thinking that is what yo are asking yourself.

What are you doing to lose th 15 pounds? Are you measuring and weighing your food portions? Working out? Are you nursing?

If you want help, let me know, I can try to help you.

Baby Boy May 28, 2008  and Baby Boy May 30, 2010

Still room for at least one more... ttc mid 2012

Joined 7-Jul-06

Top Poster
14-Dec-10 4:30 pm

Blonde Baby:

Turnips are a vegetable.

Turnips are a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables, along with broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, collard greens and more.

When it comes to turnips, most people focus on the root, but the greens of this plant are also incredibly healthy (and have a pleasant, slightly bitter flavor).

So, are you asking the nutritional value? I guess I'm just confused. 1 cup has 36 calories, 8 g of carbs, 2 g of fiber, 5 g of sugar and loaded with vitamin C. They are good for you, so I'm thinking that is what yo are asking yourself.

What are you doing to lose th 15 pounds? Are you measuring and weighing your food portions? Working out? Are you nursing?

If you want help, let me know, I can try to help you.

As far as turnnips go, I was just wondering if you count them as a carbohydrate or on a food program count them as a bread exchange or are they strictly a vegetable exchange.

I think I am not dropping the pounds because of this medication I am taking.  I am going to ask the doctor to go off it this week so after that I will see if the pounds start to drop.

I follow a food plan from my old nutritionist I think it is about 1200 calories.  I have to look.  I do not excercise too much. 

I just notice I am eating such a good food plan but I did searches and with this medication lots have said they either gained a lot of weight or cannot loose so we shall see.

The medication I am taking is lexapro 5 mg.  Atter my GD with #3, I had to take something.  I love her to pieces but it was rough at first.

Thanks so much.

(Tryin4Pink)

Joined 17-Sep-07

Top Poster
5-Jan-11 10:49 am

I have friends who found the same with Lexapro. They've mostly all switched to Selexa, which has a generic, and may not have the same side affects. Because the turnips have more nutritional value as a veggie, then that's how I'd count it.

Baby Boy May 28, 2008  and Baby Boy May 30, 2010

Still room for at least one more... ttc mid 2012

Joined 7-Jul-06

Top Poster
5-Jan-11 2:56 pm

I just looked up Celexa and that has a weight gain for a side affect.

I am now off the lexapro so now with dieting, I hope that I can loose these 15 pounds.  I feel the lexapro held me back.  I hope that I am right.

Page: of 1