Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

So who's starting solids??

C-section May 16, 2011 @

Joined 24-Dec-09

Top Poster
16-Sep-10 7:10 pm

I know some start at 4 months while others wait till they are 6 months.  We'll start DS on solids this weekend, Im so excited.  Seems like time is just flying, and he's growing up too fast!  Would love to know what your litte one is eating and their favs.

Search & Win

Our family is now complete Baby Girl 2002:::::Baby BoyMay 12, 2010:::::Baby BoyMay 16, 2011

Joined 9-Dec-08

Top Poster
16-Sep-10 7:15 pm
I am trying to wait until 6 months. Maybe 5.5. What is he eating?

DS- Trevor 11/24/05

DD - Kathryn 5/7/2010 at 37+5 weeks!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Joined 13-Jul-09

16-Sep-10 11:37 pm

Were trying to hold out till 6months but we will see Judah wants to eat so bad she keeps swiping at our food and geting handfuls when she manages ;)

we have really bad allergies that run in our family so that why I want to hold out as long as I can

Joined 21-Nov-09

Top Poster
18-Sep-10 1:43 pm
I started both my boys on solids at 16 weeks, but this little girl wont take ANYTHING in her mouth besides my boob, so I've got no chance of starting her on food - even though she's super interested.

Her tongue-pushing out reflex is still waaaaay too strong so I'm going to crack on with the breast feeding til at least 6 months I think..

? Completely Complete ?

Joined 8-May-08

Top Poster
20-Sep-10 8:53 am
I've started ds2 on rice cereal with breastmilk once a day when he turned 4 months, then after a week it moved to rice cereal for breakfast and dinner and did that for a week and now tomorrow I am going to start him on pureed fruit with rice cereal for breaky and then plain rice cereal for dinner for one week also. And after that week is up I'll replace his dinner with veggies and do that for 4 weeks.... And by the time he is 6 months I would have slowly gotten his tummy used to solids and not have to worry about him getting a sore tummy with too much too soon IYKWIM Happy

December '04July '06

October '08 May '10 September '11

C-section May 16, 2011 @

Joined 24-Dec-09

Top Poster
20-Sep-10 9:44 am

My Awesome Foursome:
I've started ds2 on rice cereal with breastmilk once a day when he turned 4 months, then after a week it moved to rice cereal for breakfast and dinner and did that for a week and now tomorrow I am going to start him on pureed fruit with rice cereal for breaky and then plain rice cereal for dinner for one week also. And after that week is up I'll replace his dinner with veggies and do that for 4 weeks.... And by the time he is 6 months I would have slowly gotten his tummy used to solids and not have to worry about him getting a sore tummy with too much too soon IYKWIM Happy
  That sounds like a great way to get him use to it...I'm going to follow what you did with the cereal.  I have given DS cereal and seems to just spit it out..was your little one taking it in or did it take some time for him to swallow the cereal?

Search & Win

Our family is now complete Baby Girl 2002:::::Baby BoyMay 12, 2010:::::Baby BoyMay 16, 2011

Joined 15-Oct-09

20-Sep-10 10:03 am

we started everley on rice cereal around 16 weeks...she can take it or leave it.  last week i had a piece of steak and she grabbed my hand so fast and tried to eat it.  that's a pretty good indicator that she wants real food!!  soooooooooo....at 20 weeks (last week) she tried sweet potatoes!  absolutely LOVED them, she had bananas (she wasnt overly enthusiastic), and carrots (loved) --(my two year old saw the carrots in a bowl and said, you feed her ketchup? hahahaa, he's so cute).  there is no way i could deny her another month (6 months) she is so ready for food NOW.  it hasnt changed her nursing habits or anything, i think she just likes the flavors and she watches her big brother eat like a big kid, she wants to be one too :)  anyway, no bad reactions...just a little open birdmouth, wanting more  :) 

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/a2pCm4.png
                             Baby BoyBaby BoyBaby BoyBaby Girl

Joined 21-Nov-09

Top Poster
20-Sep-10 12:55 pm
mmhassa2:
That sounds like a great way to get him use to it...I'm going to follow what you did with the cereal.  I have given DS cereal and seems to just spit it out..was your little one taking it in or did it take some time for him to swallow the cereal?

At this stage it doesn't matter whether or not they spit it out - you're just getting them used to textures and different flavours rather than them getting any real nutrition from it - the main source is still milk...

If your son is pushing the food back out of his mouth, his tongue-pushing reflex is still strong so it may be worth stopping and re-introducing solids after a week or two and trying again...

Either way, don't get worried about his intake, no matter how big or small.

Also, I always gave my children their milk first (since that is still their main source of nutrition) and if they had room, I'd offer them whatever solids I had prepared..

? Completely Complete ?

Joined 8-May-08

Top Poster
20-Sep-10 11:14 pm
rheinhessen"][quote user="mmhassa2:

[/quote]At this stage it doesn't matter whether or not they spit it out - you're just getting them used to textures and different flavours rather than them getting any real nutrition from it - the main source is still milk...

If your son is pushing the food back out of his mouth, his tongue-pushing reflex is still strong so it may be worth stopping and re-introducing solids after a week or two and trying again...

Either way, don't get worried about his intake, no matter how big or small.

Also, I always gave my children their milk first (since that is still their main source of nutrition) and if they had room, I'd offer them whatever solids I had prepared..

Agree

December '04July '06

October '08 May '10 September '11

Joined 7-Aug-10

Top Poster
20-Sep-10 11:22 pm

I started my DS when he was 4 months old and remember getting hell because my DH's step mother (had a baby the same time we did) thought it was wrong on so many levels to give him solids  "that early" and i should wait til he was AT LEAST 6 months. LOL!!! I didn't listen to her, if she wanted to start her kid at 6 months then fine but she shouldn't try telling me what to do and how to do it. She may be older than I am but in my lifetime, i've raised far more children than she did. I practically raised my siblings and I have 7 aunts...so you know there are lots of kids in my family and guess who was the babysitter? Happy Wink

Cate

Joined 15-Feb-10

Top Poster
4-Nov-10 1:54 pm

Lucy has been having baby rice for the past 2 weeks, but only a spoonful.....Don't think she needs it, but they need to learn to eat, and use these same muscles to learn to talk, so started it off!  Will introduce pureed veg from next week, at age 6 months.

Lucy is full on her milk still, and sleeps through every night, 12 hours!  

If they were all like her, I might have been tempted to have one more!!!  - As it is, she's our little princess, and I am done!!  haha

Baby Bear Girl Paige 14/6/02  Baby Bear BoyOliver 5/6/05  Baby Bear GirlLucy 15/5/10

Page: of 1