Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Birth Story

Photography Mommy

Joined 5-Feb-08

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 2:45 pm

Although I can't claim a true "birth", I can sit here and proudly say that I've come to terms with BOTH of my children's deliveries. Many of you know that I've struggled to deal with my daughters 'failed' natural birth for 2 years now so to have that sick to the stomach and bottled up hatred let out is a big relief. I will always dream of a natural delivery, but I'm content now and not disappointing with the ones I've had. I will probably always be a bit touchy to the idea of a c-section being someone's "ideal" delivery, and feel sadness when I see people jump to pain meds and for them to consider natural labor unideal- but those aren't my deliveries and as long as they're happy, I'm glad.
So, with that said, here's how my son's planned c-section went.

J- and I got prepared for the hospital the night before. I did three loads of laundry to get things washed and prepped before we came home, including our bedding so it was clean for baby. I also packed the hospital bags. A- was already at the baby sitters and would remain there until Saturday. Naturally, I missed her like crazy. After everything was packed and ready to go I found myself pretty bored and wanting my daughter. That night I had trouble falling asleep, not because of the c-section the next day, but because I had to look over at my toddlers empty bed across the room. My first night away from her since she was 3 months old...

Finally we went to sleep, not too early (regretfully) but earlier then usual. We had to be up at 4:30 to pack up the truck and get going. The alarm rang and around that time it sunk in...I would be a mom of 2 very soon, our son was coming! I was still pretty tired, but we got up and out of the house- making it to the hospital a little past 5:30. Since we did all the paperwork the previous day we didn't have much more to work with. We sat around and then the IV went in. The nurses and my doctor all explained what would be happening through the c-section so I'd know what to expect. I had made a birth plan and knew some things weren't going to be done, and I was getting pretty worried about how I would feel through this c-section...how I would handle it. Would I hold the same depression about it as I did over my daughters? I was still pretty excited, though, because I was still getting my baby out! Finally the time came and the two nurses lead me out of the room and through the doors into the surgery room. I was helped up onto the operation table and talked through the spinal. The only part that hurt was the "bee sting" of numb medication...and the fact that the nurse who was standing in front of me keeping me arched had my nose shoved into her shoulder and I was finding it hard to breath through the cloth. Oh well. The tingling happened quick and they urged me to move into a laying position immediately. It didn't take but a few minutes for me to lose all ability to move any of my body parts below my chest....this bothered me more then I thought it would. I felt myself panicking but I tried to restain it. Had no idea I'd struggle with not being able to move. Thankfully, they kept my hands untied, so I focused on moving THOSE. Flexing my fingers, balling my fist, rubbing my chest. Before I knew it the drape came up and they began. It was very shortly after that that my husband joined me next to my head. The nurse who was assisting me stayed on one side and my husband on the other. The nurse talked me through a lot of it, letting me know what was going on and checking to see how I was doing- but it was being able to look at my husband that kept me at peace. After he joined me the fact that I couldn't move my body didn't bother me as much, my mind stayed on him and the fact that my son would be born very soon. I listened for me, and finally it came. A deep throat pissed off croak, and I couldn't be happier! They didn't lower the drape as I hoped they would, and I looked above to the top of the blanket and my baby wasn't shown to me, but I decided to watch my husband, who was peeping over and watching with a smile on his face looking as proud as can be. He was snapping a few pictures. Within the first minute a nurse brought the baby around so I could have a quick peak before they started cleaning him up and taking care of him...I'll never forget that peak. He was perfect. I got to see my baby all covered and new- one thing I was wanting more then anything. Yes, I'm aware that sounds weird, but I wanted to see it, and I did. Covered in white, all mucky and chubby and cute. Hubby left me with a kiss and joined the baby and I set out to listen to the crying with a smile on my face. Suddenly I heard "8lbs 10oz" and then it was repeated several times. My god, my baby was huge! I was expecting the lower end of 7lbs. Yes, I knew my stomach was big, but dear golly I thought I was just getting fat. LOL. Never would have imagined 8lb 10oz. It didn't take too long before my husband was back at my side. He thought about me during his chance to watch our son, and snapped tons of photos, and brought the camera back to me so I can 'see' him. I fucking love my husband.
Then the time came. The surgery was almost over, baby was semi cleaned up and weighed, measured, given his K shot. They gave me the chance to "hold" the baby, setting him by my head while DH supported him and I got to touch him lightly and kiss him several times. My nurse took a few pictures for us but I had a hard time looking at the camera for the shots, I just wanted to stare at S-.

After S- and J- left the room, I was cleaned up and getting prepared to be moved into recovery. I concentrated on listening to my doctor explain why it was important to wipe up as much of the stuff they spread on the stomach as possible and then to him explain what would be going on next. I was moved over to our room, and from there I could hear little S crying in the nursery- it was only across the way from us! :) While they set me up in there I just listened to his screams again. I still couldn't move my legs but at this point I didn't really care. J- and S- joined us in the room pretty soon after we got there- maybe about 30 minutes into recovery. I didn't BF right away, but my nurse gave me the chance to hold him because she knew I was dying to. I FINALLY got to hold him, and it was the most amazing moment ever. I waited to BF because they weren't done getting me positioned and set up. She wanted that done first so that I could BF without feeling rushed. I understood, and didn't mind. They stayed in the room and I watched J- and the baby while they worked on me. The next 30minutes flew by and then it was my time to breast feed. Just like his big sister, the little guy latched on perfectly without any problems. He fed wonderfully and we were all very content.

It was during my hospital stay for 2 days that I came to the resolution that my deliveries, although not ideal FOR ME, weren't so bad after all. It just hit me one day while I was looking down at my son. His birth was perfect outside of the fact that it was a c-section and not natural...I wouldn't change any of it. I'm still hating the hard recovery after...I've been in quite a bit of pain these last few days and have cried out from it a few times, but at least nobody can tell me I didn't work to get him here...at least I can't tell myself that, I should say. Instead of a few hours to a day of laboring, I'm going through two weeks to four weeks of pain and struggle to shift in my sleep and move around the house. I feel like I'm going crazy not being able to tackle my normal house hold tasks but I'm really trying to sit down and take it easy. I do wish I didn't have go through this recovery while trying to adjust to a toddler and newborn... but it isn't so bad right now. A- is a wonderful big sister, she loves on her brother a lot and did WONDERFUL when I let her hold him. I'm so proud of her. That's not to say she hasn't had a few rough moments with him, and I do see some jealous as she tries to cry like him while I'm changing her diaper and as she flails her arms around the way he does when he's mad (helplessly and without purpose)...she's also acting out a bit more and throwing more fits but I don't blame her. I'm doing what I can and I can already feel a huge improvement on my hormones when it comes to patience. I'm looking forward to recovery ending and me being able to pick her up and handle her outbursts without having to step back because of my incision and making J- handle it his way. The time will come. Silvas is also a wonderful nurser. I feed on demand and so far it seems to be about 15-20minutes every 2-3 hours with periodic short feeds in between once in a while. If he's not eating, he's usually asleep. We take advantage of every "open eye" moment with him because right now it's not very often..
and I've still got my fingers crossed to see his dark greenish eyes turn brown with time. :$

I love my family of 4.

?~ I found my soulmate online ~?

Gone at 17.5weeks ; Little boy Jacey- Forever in my heart

lowest calcium intake EVA

Joined 2-Nov-07

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 2:55 pm

Kacey, I'm so happy for you!!!!

AKA kristindoggirl Baby Boy Wyatt 21 Baby Boy Clark 17 Baby Boy Tate 4 Baby Boy Marshall 3 Heartbroken Emery, Marshall's twin lost early in pregnancyBaby Girl and our pink caboose Susannah Dawn!

http://www.in-gender.com/cs/blogs/kristindoggirl/

Joined 28-Jan-08

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 2:59 pm

He is such a doll.

I am glad everything went smoothly and well. Many Congrats to you!

Baby Boy 11/30/2002 Baby Boy 7/25/2005 Baby Boy 8/1/2008 and Baby Boy 8/19/2010 - failed sway
Heartbroken 2/2007 and 8/2007

Joined 9-Dec-08

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 3:00 pm

Oh my gosh, Kacey! I am almost in tears reading that! I am so, so happy for you! Silvanus is beautiful...just PERFECT (and you know I love the monster outfit!). I just want to tell you, though, that I absolutely, 100% feel that you gave birth. Both times. They may not have been your "ideal" deliveries, but you grew your children in your womb for 9 months, cared for them as they were inside of you, and planned for them lovingly. So don't for a minute think that you can't claim a true birth. I won't hear of it!

Congratulations again!!! You have a beautiful familyHeart

Baby Boy '00 Baby Boy '02 Baby Boy '04 Baby Girl '06 Baby Boy '09 UC Baby Girl '12 UC 12/13 Due 4/15

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

"Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches." ~ Andy Warhol

Joined 9-Oct-07

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 3:04 pm

Awww! What a beautiful birth story! He's a big boy and so darn cute! Happy Celebrate

Joined 21-Jan-09

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 3:05 pm

Kacey, he is so adorable!!!!  You are such a good mommy.  Take this time to relax and enjoy him, everything else can wait.  So glad James is such an amazing man to take such good care of you.  HeartCongratulationsHeart

Hugs VioletBaby GirlHugs VioletBaby BoyHugs VioletBaby GirlHugs Violet

Joined 15-Aug-08

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 3:06 pm

ITA with CMQ you did have a real birth silly girl Stick out tongue

CONGRATS on your new Son he is just perfect Hearts

Au 79

Joined 25-Sep-06

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 3:21 pm
congratulations!!! he is perfect!!
RQ~ 8, err... i mean 32 Baby Bear Boy,Baby Bear Girl,Baby Bear Boy: you'd better recognize!

http://www.ingender.com/cs/forums/p/7093/54561.aspx#54561 here is the link to my TBM success story for #2! I went on to do the same for #3 and added ions/diet/low sodium/etc... #3 is my beautiful baby boy! does swaying actually sway???

hoping for BFPs for all my IG girls!..... lets see those second lines!!!

Bump it B!tches! you know you want to!

a friend will help you move. a good friend will help you move a body.~ anon

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -Catherine-

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies. (Unknown)

Photography Mommy

Joined 5-Feb-08

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 3:31 pm

Thank you Kasie. Heart I'm pretty darn proud of myself. He came out as wonderful as can be.

I also wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who was there during my recovery at the hospital...by "there" I mean all the emails, the flowers, all the congrats on my walls and photos (my husband printed them ALL out and brought them to me... I had like 20+ pages to shift through!) etc. They all helped me SO much. Both my children are absolute dreams come true and I'm looking forward to breast feeding this boy for the next year. No matter what, it WILL happen- and we got a great start at it. 

He's got his appointment tomorrow and I've got my check up on my birthday- April 8th. S dropped 13oz in the hospital, the nurse said it was normal to lose 10% of their birth weight the first few days so I have my FX that he's gained some back (he's at 7lb 13oz and 22in....long and SKINNY, this boys got no fat on him!). I know my milk has come in, I'm leaking dreadfully and my bbs are getting hard. I also know he's getting a lot of milk because I can hear him swollowing and sucking and feel the milk come out when he's nursing. Happy There's no concerns like I had with A when I nursed her (always wondering if she was getting enough and feeding enough etcetc). I'm also proud to say that I've got my husbands 100% on me BF. It seemed to click perfect with him the first time and now he smiles when ever I do. He even jokes about it- see?

?~ I found my soulmate online ~?

Gone at 17.5weeks ; Little boy Jacey- Forever in my heart

Joined 9-Dec-08

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 4:08 pm

MyMonsters4Us:
He even jokes about it- see?

Hahahaha...that is so funny! And cute!

Baby Boy '00 Baby Boy '02 Baby Boy '04 Baby Girl '06 Baby Boy '09 UC Baby Girl '12 UC 12/13 Due 4/15

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

"Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches." ~ Andy Warhol

Joined 21-Aug-09

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

30-Mar-10 4:22 pm
Congrats=) What a lovely family! xXx

www.ourmicrosortstory.blogspot.com             www.newbornlovenursery.blogspot.com

photo f2_zps6be40389.jpg

(Tryin4Pink)

Joined 17-Sep-07

Top Poster
30-Mar-10 9:44 pm

Kacey, you did an excellent job.  Do NOT sell yourself short!  And your story and the way you told it was just wonderful.  Your family is beautiful, and I'm so happy for you.

Baby Boy May 28, 2008  and Baby Boy May 30, 2010

Still room for at least one more... ttc mid 2012

Joined 19-Oct-09

Top Poster
31-Mar-10 6:15 am

what a amazing beautifull story, i have just put my makeup on and now im crying lol, he is so gorgeous all your family is well done hun XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXBIG KISS 2 YOUR LITTLE MANLove Ya!

Baby BoyBaby BoyBaby Boy + Baby BoyJaydon Ashton Kingsbury : 28/04/10

Joined 15-Aug-08

Top Poster
31-Mar-10 6:18 am

It's awesome that your BF'ing is going great. It's such a gift to be able to BF your own child Hearts Love the pic Happy LMAO

Joined 10-Jul-07

Top Poster
31-Mar-10 6:24 am

Hugs GiftKacey Congrats on the birth of Silvanus!!! Happy CelebrateYou have a beautiful family! Love all the picsLove Ya!

"Create each day anew by clothing yourself with heaven and earth, bathing yourself with wisdom and love, and placing yourself in the heart of Mother Nature."~Morihei Ueshiba

Page: of 3