Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Do you think this is young?

Joined 9-Dec-08

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 2:02 pm
There is a new mom in our moms club and she kept going on and on about how hard it is being a young mom and how her friends dont come around as much because she was so young when she had her baby and they still party. Then she sent us an email complaining about being a young mom and the struggles... but she is 31 and her dh is 34! Do you think that is a young first time mom? I actually consider that an older first time mom... I was barely 23 and so was dh when we had our first and I never complained we were young. What is young to you? Not 31 right?

DS- Trevor 11/24/05

DD - Kathryn 5/7/2010 at 37+5 weeks!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

My Obama Boys on Inaugura

Joined 18-Feb-08

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 2:11 pm

No, I don't consider 31 to be a "young mom" but I wouldn't call it an "older mom" either.  I think it's pretty average for a first time mom (at least in the area I live).  I was 30 when I had my first and at that time most of my friends were just in the process of getting married, a few already had a baby.  Nobody was out partying all the time at that age- seems a bit immature IMO.

Baby Boy Eric 2005 Baby Boy Kyle 2007 and Our newest Baby Boy love... Ryan born May 26, 2010

*****I was in and out of the hospital and otherwise at home on bedrest for 12 weeks after bleeding due to complete placenta previa. Gratefully made it to 37 weeks and our strong and healthy baby Ryan finally arrived safe and sound!

Heartbroken June 2004 Heartbroken January 2009 (my MS/IUI baby) Heartbroken September 2009

Our MS/IUI Journey... 11/16/2008: MS/IUI at HRC 11/27/08: 11dpIUI: BFP!!!!!!! 11/28/08: 12dpIUI: Digital reads "Pregnant" 12/17/08: U/S shows no viable pregnancy- gestational sac only 1/5/09: Natural m/c finally occurred After 9 wks pregnant and a 92% purity sort for Baby Girl, our MS/IUI journey ended Jan. 2009

Joined 6-Apr-07

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 2:12 pm

Hi there, maybe in her circle of friends this is considered young? but no, in general, 31 to have your first baby is OLDER than the average age of having your first. 

Baby Bear GirlBaby Bear GirlBaby Bear Boy  Love them to the moon and back! Maybe, just maybe, might try for another gorgoeus Baby Bear Boy in the future!

Joined 14-Feb-09

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 2:13 pm
--

Joined 8-Nov-08

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 2:14 pm
I'm not a member of this group, but the post caught my attention. 31 is certainly not young. It's bordering "late bloomer" as a first time mom. Young to me is under 23. My 19 year old sister with her first - that's young. Me at 30 with my first - well... I was busy in my 20's. :P

Joined 9-Dec-08

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 2:14 pm
Where I live ( Northern Ca in the city} lots of women are very early 20s to mid 20s when they have their first and 31 is considered on the older side. And the funny thing is she was complaining to us and we were all young 20s when we had our first so we were looking at her kind of oddly. And at 31 and still partying that is ridiculous IMO. I would never want to be the old lady at the bar that all the young people laugh at.

DS- Trevor 11/24/05

give me coffee and no one

Joined 4-Feb-07

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 2:22 pm

zarappotimus:

Hi there, maybe in her circle of friends this is considered young? but no, in general, 31 to have your first baby is OLDER than the average age of having your first. 

I agree.  IMO 31 is not young to be having your first. I would say under 24 is young. 24-34 would be average and over 34 would be above average. 

Joined 9-Dec-08

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 2:26 pm
BananaPants"]

[quote user="Serenity:

There is a new mom in our moms club and she kept going on and on about how hard it is being a young mom and how her friends dont come around as much because she was so young when she had her baby and they still party. Then she sent us an email complaining about being a young mom and the struggles... but she is 31 and her dh is 34! Do you think that is a young first time mom? I actually consider that an older first time mom... I was barely 23 and so was dh when we had our first and I never complained we were young. What is young to you? Not 31 right?[/quote]

Totally not young.  Obviously she's mistaking immature for young as well, because I was 19 when I had DS and guess what...partying took a backseat.  Like it should with any responsible, mature parent.  I have old friends that went on to have children early and got them taken away for partying and drinking and ingeneral not taking care of them.  That had nothing to do with age, and its a very very annoying stereotype.

SIL is like this.  She goes on and on about how hard it is to be a single young mom, and she can't go out with her friends, and she can't get a decent job because she has to get these hours, and she cant afford to pay a babysitter and her mom needs to help her with this and this and this and grandma has to buy her a house.  IL's indulge this behavior by saying 'oh we need to help her, we promised to help her with anything and everything, we watch her kid 12 hours a day for free and keep him over night so he doesn't have to get up early...."  the woman is 34 ok.  She is not a 15 year old trying to get her education. She has a degree.  She went to university TWICE.  Bothers me to no end when they compare how 'hard' it is for her to how 'easy' it was for me.  It wasn't easy, I worked my ass off, I went to school while having a one year old at home, and I did it myself.  Sure I met DH and that did make things financially easier, but I was a single mother for 2 years.  We moved in with each other when DS was 6 months old, that didnt mean I stopped being a single mother, it just meant I had a roommate.  It took a very very long time for our parenting responsibilities to be even remotely close to equal.

So my verdict: no.  Immature maybe, but not young.  Young does not equal having a hard time with responsibility.

Bananapants you sound very responsible for having a baby at 19. I wasnt as young as you but I was 22 and from the day I got pregnant until the present my life changed in that I no longer partied, was at home all the time and just became mommy. I love being a younger mom. But this lady annoyed me about complaining about being so young when she is 31 with her first. She acted like its so much harder for her then any of us and we all became moms at 21-25. I think she is just kind of weird though.

DS- Trevor 11/24/05

Joined 23-Jan-07

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 4:10 pm

I'm 31 so I'm gonna have to say no, it's not "old", but I guess it's not a young 1st time mom.

Sometimes on the way to a dream, you get lost and find a better one.

Joined 9-Dec-08

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 4:11 pm
I dont think the age 31 is old, just for a first time mom it is on the older side where I live.

DS- Trevor 11/24/05

Joined 17-Feb-10

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 4:23 pm

i dont think thats at all young i had my first when i was 18...im only 22 now and i dont miss partying at all so much more thrilling to see your child crawl or walk or read a book to you i think

Baby Girl2005Baby Girl2006Baby Girl2008Baby Girl2009Baby Boy2010........Baby Bear Boy due 25th june...........both blue sways worked

Photography Mommy

Joined 5-Feb-08

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 4:34 pm

I agree with a PP that it's not young, 16-24 might be 'young' and average to me is 25-34ish. Anything above that might be considered an older first time mom (don't confuse that with being OLD, but an older age to begin parenting from what I've seen). Like some of the others- I was barely 17 when I gave birth to my daughter and I'll be a few weeks from 19 when I give birth to my son. I don't miss any of the party or drinking or stuff- but I never liked it prior to becoming a mom, so maybe that's why. Stick out tongue

?~ I found my soulmate online ~?

Gone at 17.5weeks ; Little boy Jacey- Forever in my heart

Sara

Joined 3-May-07

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

3-Mar-10 5:10 pm

I am lurking....so I think that shows I don't consider MYSELF a young mama and I am going to be 28..I would say new mama..not young mama.

Previously FiveHappyChildren

Sara ~~ Proud mommy toBaby Boy01 Baby Boy04 Baby Boy05 Baby Boy07 Baby Girl09

Steve (DH ) and our Baby GirlAbigail 09-18-13!

Our family is complete!

Joined 21-Jan-09

Top Poster
3-Mar-10 5:13 pm

Heck yeah, it's young!!! (just kidding - I'm 31 lol)

I had my first 2 at 20 and 21 and that was young.  Ava I had at 31 and that was a lot harder pregnancy - felt old for sure when I was in pain my whole pregnancy.  But yeah I agree that below 23 is young and over 30 is "older" to have a first baby. 

My ex is "that creepy old man guy" at the bar at 31.  He doesn't have kids yet but I could not imagine hitting the bars at this age. I feel too old.

Hugs VioletBaby GirlHugs VioletBaby BoyHugs VioletBaby GirlHugs Violet

Joined 21-Aug-09

Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

3-Mar-10 5:31 pm
I would say that 31 is an OLD mom! I was 18 when i had my first child and am now 30 having my 5th child. I guess it's just personal opinions and also where someone grows up. There are benefits to being young and having children as well as not starting until later in life! =)

www.ourmicrosortstory.blogspot.com             www.newbornlovenursery.blogspot.com

photo f2_zps6be40389.jpg
Page: of 3