Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

7 month old won't eat baby food...

Joined 21-Jan-09

Top Poster
21-Feb-10 1:26 pm

She only has her bottom 2 teeth so I can't give her chunky stuff.  Need ideas.  She loves to eat if she can feed herself.  The second she sees a spoon she wants nothing to do with it.  I can force feed her a few bites of baby food but that is all.  Then she's turning her head and screaming.  The second I give her something she can feed herself she is all over it.  But she can't live on teething biscuits and yogurt bites...

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2404768 I got this yesterday and she ate a banana in it today.  What else can I put in there?

Hugs VioletBaby GirlHugs VioletBaby BoyHugs VioletBaby GirlHugs Violet

Joined 13-Apr-07

Top Poster
21-Feb-10 8:14 pm

two Tweens-n-a Baby:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2404768 I got this yesterday and she ate a banana in it today.  What else can I put in there?

Depends on how much mess you want to clean up ;)

I've done cooked sweet potato, pears, bananas,

Baby Bear BoyBaby Bear BoyBaby Bear Girl

Joined 9-Dec-08

Top Poster
21-Feb-10 8:18 pm

momtwomonkeys:

Depends on how much mess you want to clean up ;)

I've done cooked sweet potato, pears, bananas,

Ditto

Baby Boy '00 Baby Boy '02 Baby Boy '04 Baby Girl '06 Baby Boy '09 UC Baby Girl '12 UC 12/13

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

"Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches." ~ Andy Warhol

Anya

Joined 6-Aug-09

Top Poster
21-Feb-10 8:19 pm
Peaches ,apple pieces (she will not eat it but drink the juice ;) ) watermelon ,almost every fruit you can put in there ,also cooked carrots etc.
2006 Photobucket 2008 Photobucket 2010 PhotobucketPhotobucket ig.oneway@gmail.com Hoping for one more Baby Bear Girl or Baby Bear Boy in the future Hearts

Joined 3-Sep-08

Top Poster
22-Feb-10 8:12 am

My almost-8-month old prefers to self feed too.  I do manage to get food into him, but I just fill the spoon up and give it to him, then he puts it in his own mouth.  He's eating puffs and Cheerios now too.  I've been debating starting him on some other soft solids too.  I think their ability to deal with solid food has less to do with teeth and more to do with readiness - remember that there are many 1-year-olds with only 2 teeth who manage all kinds of solid food fine - you just have to make sure it's soft enough to be mushed between the gums. 

When I was doing some research for my own ds, I came upon some info about Baby-led Weaning - the idea that you can skip the feeding the baby thing altogether and have them start self-feeding at 6 months as long as you continue nursing on demand.  Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby-led_weaning

I think I may start trying him with things like small pieces of soft avocado and small pieces of rips banana and see how he does.

Baby Boy Baby Boy May 2006

Baby Boy June 2009 - A medication-free VBAC

Joined 21-Jan-09

Top Poster
22-Feb-10 9:40 am

Mochagirl:

My almost-8-month old prefers to self feed too.  I do manage to get food into him, but I just fill the spoon up and give it to him, then he puts it in his own mouth.  He's eating puffs and Cheerios now too.  I've been debating starting him on some other soft solids too.  I think their ability to deal with solid food has less to do with teeth and more to do with readiness - remember that there are many 1-year-olds with only 2 teeth who manage all kinds of solid food fine - you just have to make sure it's soft enough to be mushed between the gums. 

When I was doing some research for my own ds, I came upon some info about Baby-led Weaning - the idea that you can skip the feeding the baby thing altogether and have them start self-feeding at 6 months as long as you continue nursing on demand.  Check it out:

I think I may start trying him with things like small pieces of soft avocado and small pieces of rips banana and see how he does.

I will look at that, thank you!  So can I give her Cheerios?  What else?

I will try avocado and fruits. :)

That website is VERY helpful, thank you so much.  Sounds like she is right on target, and ready for tiny smalls bites of real food.

Joined 21-Feb-08

Top Poster
22-Feb-10 10:01 am

Grr, I've typed 2 replies and the both keep getting eaten!  Basically, I wouldn't worry, they don't need solids at this age.  Megan didn't start eating solids regularly until 8-9 months.  We did the baby-led weaning like described above.  I think it is great- it makes so much sense, is good for the kids, and easier/cheaper for you! (no buying or making baby food!)  Let's see if it actually posts this now...

Chasing a boy

Joined 17-Sep-09

22-Feb-10 10:03 am

i had one of those baby safe feeders for my youngest when she was about that age, i put all kinds of stuff in there! all kinds of fruit, especially apple and peach. I even put cut up jam sandwhiches in there, she would get through all of it. but they sure were messy to clean sometimes.

Baby Girl2006(3)   Baby Girl2001(8)  Baby Girl1999(10) planning on TTC sometime late this year! (Cant wait!!) Desperately want Baby Boy

Joined 21-Jan-09

Top Poster
22-Feb-10 10:04 am

D_J_M_:

Grr, I've typed 2 replies and the both keep getting eaten!  Basically, I wouldn't worry, they don't need solids at this age.  Megan didn't start eating solids regularly until 8-9 months.  We did the baby-led weaning like described above.  I think it is great- it makes so much sense, is good for the kids, and easier/cheaper for you! (no buying or making baby food!)  Let's see if it actually posts this now...

it posted :)

I'm actually fine with her waiting to eat too but she loves to eat as long as she can feed herself.  The second I pull out the baby food her mouth is glued shut.  Doh!  But if I set something on her tray, she is all over it. :)

Joined 21-Feb-08

Top Poster
22-Feb-10 11:36 am

two Tweens-n-a Baby:
The second I pull out the baby food her mouth is glued shut.  Doh!  But if I set something on her tray, she is all over it. :)

Yep, that was Megan too!  The only thing she would eat from a spoon was yogurt.  She's 14 months now and won't even let me do that- she feeds herself yogurt with a spoon!  Talk about messy!  Other ideas for Ava are maybe tiny bits of pancake, banana (I did the baby-led weaning thing and gave her a big piece of banana to hold, and she would munch on it.  It requires less coordination than picking up tiny slippery pieces.)

formerly 'Tashy'

Joined 7-Jun-08

Top Poster
22-Feb-10 11:40 am
Mochagirl:

I was gonna suggest the same thing! GL :)
Baby Boy 1995 Baby Boy 2002 Baby Boy 2005 Baby Boy 2008 Baby Girl 2010 Baby Boy 2013

Joined 21-Jan-09

Top Poster
22-Feb-10 12:21 pm

D_J_M_:
The only thing she would eat from a spoon was yogurt.  She's 14 months now and won't even let me do that- she feeds herself yogurt with a spoon!  Talk about messy!

That made me giggle :)  I imagine the mess.  So cute.

Ava likes to talk (babble) and eat...so food is usually spewing all over the place but as long as she is enjoying it I just try and ignore the mess then straight to the bath she goes. :)

Joined 3-Sep-08

Top Poster
22-Feb-10 12:24 pm

This site has some good finger food ideas:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyfingerfood.htm

Baby Boy Baby Boy May 2006

Baby Boy June 2009 - A medication-free VBAC

Joined 21-Jan-09

Top Poster
22-Feb-10 12:27 pm

Mochagirl:

This site has some good finger food ideas:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyfingerfood.htm

That site is great too!  Thank you.

I have another question...if babies under one can not have cow milk is cheese and yogurt still ok?  Nevermind, that same site answered my question :)

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/feedingcheesetobaby.htm

Joined 19-Mar-08

Top Poster
22-Feb-10 12:37 pm

I wanted to add a tip I read about in a parenting magazine ~ for slippery foods (as a few of you mentioned).  You can lightly coat small pieces of banana, avocado, peaches, etc. in wheat germ.  It's really healthy, and makes the food easier to grip.  I did try this a few times and it helped...but, my son never really liked the taste.  I like the taste, and always add it to smoothies.  I think it may be an acquired taste.  And I'm not sure what age this would be appropriate for either...I think my son was more like a year?  I'm sure you could look it up or ask your Ped.  Just thought it was a neat and healthful tip!

Baby Boy ~ 9 Baby Boy ~ 5  Baby Girl ~ born Oct.30, 2012!!!

Page: of 2