Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Gerber Reusable Nursing Pads

Joined 8-Jan-09

Top Poster
23-Sep-09 6:28 am

I just bought these yesterday.. they come in a pack of 6. 

I really like the idea that they are washable.. but how well do they wash . how well do they hold their shape? how often will  need to replace them?

anyone tried them yet?

Hugs Violet Me (Diane),  Hearts DF, Baby Bear Girl  7, Baby Bear Girl our long awaited DD2! Our sway worked!! TY IG!

Hugs Bear LIttleBean Lost.. but not forgotten..Gone to be with my other L.O.'s Hugs Bear

Joined 15-Feb-09

Top Poster
23-Sep-09 6:31 am

Do you stick them in your bra to stop the leaks?  I don't have Gerber, but I bought some at Motherhood Maternity with DS1 and am still going to be able to use them for DC4.  They still smell a little like breastmilk after I wash them, but they look clean, and heck, I smell like breastmilk when nursing.  There were 6 in a pack for not too much, but I don't remember how much.

Baby BoyBaby BoyBaby BoyBaby Girl

Joined 8-Jan-09

Top Poster
23-Sep-09 6:38 am

asis4BCA:

Do you stick them in your bra to stop the leaks?  I don't have Gerber, but I bought some at Motherhood Maternity with DS1 and am still going to be able to use them for DC4.  They still smell a little like breastmilk after I wash them, but they look clean, and heck, I smell like breastmilk when nursing.  There were 6 in a pack for not too much, but I don't remember how much.

yep. you place them inside your bra so you don't leak out onto your clothes and have to go walking around with milk stained shirts hehe.. eww.

these were pretty cheap also.. how often did you wash them?

Hugs Violet Me (Diane),  Hearts DF, Baby Bear Girl  7, Baby Bear Girl our long awaited DD2! Our sway worked!! TY IG!

Hugs Bear LIttleBean Lost.. but not forgotten..Gone to be with my other L.O.'s Hugs Bear

Joined 4-Apr-08

Top Poster
23-Sep-09 8:20 am

I'm usually all for reusable things - I CD, etc., but I HATED reusable nursing pads. First of all, they are bulky and more noticeable under most shirts. Secondly, they don't wick moisture away from your skin, so I actually felt like I was chapping/chafing since it's basically holding a moist cloth against your skin. I also needed to use Lanolin for the cracking in the beginning (with 1st baby) and that was a big mess on the reusables as well. I switched to the Lansinoh disposable pads and was MUCH happier. Sorry I can't give a glowing recommendation, but that was my experience. 

Baby Girl'03 Baby Girl'05 Heartbroken'08 Heartbroken'09  Baby Boy '10 after 14 months of swaying

Lena

Joined 15-Jun-07

Forum Leader Top Poster
Gold

Gold Membership

23-Sep-09 9:08 am

I didn't care for the gerber ones but I loved the avent ones I picked up.  They were much more absorbent and felt better against my skin.  I bought a pair on etsy.com to try this time around and they are super soft.  If I like them, then I'll buy more.

Joined 15-Feb-09

Top Poster
23-Sep-09 4:34 pm

Fearymay:
these were pretty cheap also.. how often did you wash them?

I have about 6 sets, so I washed pretty often.  In the beginning I leaked a lot, so once they got wet they were useless.  I kept at least one extra pair in my bag and always had a pair of disposables, you know the kind you get as samples, in case I forgot to add an extra pair of dry ones to my bag.  Once my milk stopped letting down so often, I probably could wear them a day or two without having to change.

Baby BoyBaby BoyBaby BoyBaby Girl

My favorite flower

Joined 5-Nov-06

Top Poster
23-Sep-09 4:45 pm

Well I have a ton of these and loved them key word loved as in I used to love them lol. I few things one I can't wear them at night I leak too much, not a big deal and Two the deal breaker, I would stay too "wet" and ended up with ringworm right where the stiching is. I think it is because I would wear it all day and would not change it when I leaked and just let it dry. Anyway its a huge PITA right now. I can only use one side to feed her and have to pump the other side.

Baby Girl 9-01  Baby Girl 1-05 Heartbroken 11-07 Heartbroken 2-08 Baby Girl 4-09

Trying for Baby Boysince 9-06 Did ericsson July 30 2008 for a Baby Boy got a Baby Girland 100% in-love with her.

7-30-08 IUI/Ericsson= BFP OHW

My favorite flower

Joined 5-Nov-06

Top Poster
23-Sep-09 4:46 pm

BTW I washed mine daily and would bleach them. 

Baby Girl 9-01  Baby Girl 1-05 Heartbroken 11-07 Heartbroken 2-08 Baby Girl 4-09

Trying for Baby Boysince 9-06 Did ericsson July 30 2008 for a Baby Boy got a Baby Girland 100% in-love with her.

Joined 9-Jun-09

Top Poster
23-Sep-09 4:49 pm

girls2mama:

I'm usually all for reusable things - I CD, etc., but I HATED reusable nursing pads. First of all, they are bulky and more noticeable under most shirts. Secondly, they don't wick moisture away from your skin, so I actually felt like I was chapping/chafing since it's basically holding a moist cloth against your skin. I also needed to use Lanolin for the cracking in the beginning (with 1st baby) and that was a big mess on the reusables as well. I switched to the Lansinoh disposable pads and was MUCH happier. Sorry I can't give a glowing recommendation, but that was my experience. 

this was my exact experience.  I loved the lansinoh brand too.  I don't make the "right" amount of milk for my babies.  I always have enough to probally feed 5,  so lets say I use ALOT of nursing pads:)

his 96Baby Boy mine 96Baby Girl ours  00Baby Boy 03Baby Boy 07Baby Boy  december 09Baby Boy

Joined 8-Jan-09

Top Poster
24-Sep-09 7:35 am

lovemy3:

I didn't care for the gerber ones but I loved the avent ones I picked up.  They were much more absorbent and felt better against my skin.  I bought a pair on etsy.com to try this time around and they are super soft.  If I like them, then I'll buy more.

hmm. will have to try and find those!! was only able to find the gerber ones up to now!!!

may have to go to  etsy.com 

Joined 8-Jan-09

Top Poster
24-Sep-09 7:37 am

so for the most part thumbs down on the gerber.. 

do you recommend the disposable ones instead then?

any one know of good patterns for reussable ones?

Joined 4-Apr-08

Top Poster
25-Sep-09 8:59 am

Camping in the Rain:
this was my exact experience.  I loved the lansinoh brand too.  I don't make the "right" amount of milk for my babies.  I always have enough to probally feed 5,  so lets say I use ALOT of nursing pads:)

I recently posted a product in the BF forum called 'My Milkies', instead of being a pad to absorb leaks, it catches the milk so you can use it. Maybe that would be a good idea for you!

Feary ~ I'm thinking of trying LilyPadz this time because they are reusable in that they don't absorb the fluid, they apply pressure to keep you from leaking in the first place. 

Baby Girl'03 Baby Girl'05 Heartbroken'08 Heartbroken'09  Baby Boy '10 after 14 months of swaying

My favorite flower

Joined 5-Nov-06

Top Poster
25-Sep-09 10:25 am

girls2mama:
Feary ~ I'm thinking of trying LilyPadz this time because they are reusable in that they don't absorb the fluid, they apply pressure to keep you from leaking in the first place.

I have had clogged ducts this time around so be careful with that.

I also make way to much. I would have no problem feeding twins. I actully was donating milk to twins lol so maybe I could feed triplets. I like the lansinoh brand the best. Way better then anything else I have tryed. They also have a Ultra soft pad out for new sore nipples that I also love. Also with lansinoh I have never leaked out of them. They are very thin but hold a lot. I mean a couple oz worth. 

Joined 8-Jan-09

Top Poster
25-Sep-09 10:28 am

i had problems producing milk for dd at the end.. ( around 10 months ).. I was using disposable pads though.. I would leak all the time.. but wasn't making a lot.. I dunno lol.

so nursing pads can make you "dry up" or make it harder to produce? I am confused.

or just the ones that add pressure to stop you from leaking instead of absorbing?

My favorite flower

Joined 5-Nov-06

Top Poster
25-Sep-09 2:47 pm

I would personally not want to try the pad that keeps you from leaking becasue I have a tendency to "clog". Once I get a cloged duct I have to pick at my nipple for a few mins until I can get it out then my breast will just drain like someone took out a cork. It wont make you produce any less.

Page: of 2