Forums  Gender Selection Gender Prediction Gender Disappointment Gender Odds

Our wait is over ... Caroline is here; her story ...

Elizabeth

Joined 28-Jul-08

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 7:30 am

Well, it has been a whirl wind past couple of days!  I did indeed go into the hospital and was admitted about 10:00 pm on Wed night the 23rd at 4 cm dilated with bloody show and 80% effaced in absolutely no pain.  Doc broke my water shortly thereafter and I was ready to get the show on the road!  Well, this little girl was VERY STUBBORN and decided she wanted to hang out with Mom a while longer, so after 18 hours at 4 cm with no change, I had a tablet inserted near my cervix to irritate it - I do not "do" needles, IV's, pitossin etc so this was my best option.  At 6:30 pm on Thurs evening the 24th, I had the tablet and within 1 hour, had reg contractions.  By 10:30 that evening I was at 7 cm still with no pain.  At this point, I was concentrating on listening to my Ipod and imagining what my daughter would look like with every contraction.  At about midnight, doc checked me again and I was at 8 cm and 90% and thought it would be no longer than another 30 mins.  I started having back labor and rolled over onto my left side while the nurse massaged my back - after 2 contractions of being on my side, I had the urge to push.  The nurse checked me and I had gone from 8 to 9.5 cm in about 10 mins - she called 911 for doc, back up nurse and started breaking down the bed so I could push.  The next 5 mins was the hardest as I had to breathe through the contractions until they were set up for me to push.  Within 5 mins and 3 pushes, our princess Caroline Grace was born at 36 weeks, 1 day at 12:20 am Friday, 24th weighing in at 5 lbs 12 ozs and 19.5 in long - absolutely beautiful!  She was having some labored breathing, which we expected with her prematurity, but what happened after that was totally unexpected.

By lunchtime that day, Friday the 24th, about 12 hours after she was born, it was decided she should be flown out to Johns Hopkins Hospital for further treatment and evaluation as the NICU at our local hospital was not equipped to handle her.  That was the most traumatic event DH and I have ever gone through - he left immediately to drive to Hopkins while I was not to be released from the hospital until the following day (yesterday, Sat 26th).  We are so very lucky to live within 1.5 hours driving distance to the best hospital in the US and she was here within 20 mins by copter.  I arrived here yesterday and got to see her for the first time with her eyes open!  I am so happy to say that she is doing extremely well and looks wonderful!  She had some fluid in her lungs and a small air bubble between her lungs and chest which is diminishing on its own with no intervention.  The docs here are optimistic that she will be released this coming Thurs, 30th at which time they consider her 37 weeks gestation.  I have not gotten to hold her yet but I am so hoping that I can do that today.  I have waited a lifetime to hold my daughter and will wait as long as I have to so long as she is recovering.  My SIL (bless her heart!) and DH's parents and my Mom have been taking turns with the other boys and they can hardly wait to meet their sister.  For now, DH and I are alternating staying up here at Hopkins with Caroline so the other can be at home with the boys for some sense of normalcy. 

Please say a little prayer for her and I will be sure to post pics when she has the oxygen hood off so you can see her beautiful face.  Best wishes to everyone else and I'll check in as I can! 

Hugs to all - Mom, Dad, the "fab 5 boys" and our Princess, Caroline Hearts            

Baby Boy Carter 96 Baby Boy Andrew 98 Baby Boy Braden 01 Baby Boy Dylan 05 Baby Boy Garrett 07 & Baby Girl Caroline, born 7-24-09 

Hugs Violet  Life is Good  Hugs Violet

Joined 15-Aug-08

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 7:48 am

Congrats on your new princess I'm sure she is just beautiful. I'm so sorry she needed a little extra time in the NICU. My second DD had the same thing and needed to be transported It was the worse experience of my life. My heart goes out to you and your family ((HUGS)) She will be home in no time and in your arms. I can't wait for your update and some pictures Hearts

Joined 9-Dec-08

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 7:52 am

Congrats!! Sorry your sweet Caroline had to stay in the hospital, but I'm sure everything will be fine, and she'll be at home where she belongs in no time. Can't wait to see pics of your little princess! I will keep you and your family in my thoughtsHearts

Baby Boy '00 Baby Boy '02 Baby Boy '04 Baby Girl '06 Baby Boy '09 UC Baby Girl '12 UC 12/13

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

"Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches." ~ Andy Warhol

Joined 10-Sep-08

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 8:27 am

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!  I hope you can take her home very soon!Hearts

Joined 5-Jun-09

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 8:30 am

Congrats on Caroline!  We went through the same thing with DS3, he was  a little early and was transported to the nicu in another hospital.....At the time it seemed like every hour was a day, but now he is a perfectly happy and healthy 2 year old.... I am sorry you had to go through that, it is so hard to leave the hospital without your baby...but you will bring your little bundle of joy home soon!  Good luck hun, and I hope you can hold her today!  Yay! 

Baby Girl02/1991 adopted on 03/09/2007 Baby Boy A.J. 12/2000, Baby Boy Noah 11/2002, Baby Boy Jackson 8/2007, Heartbroken 2/14/2009, Heartbroken 18 weeks

Joined 14-Sep-08

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 9:32 am

I had a feelinng!!!!!  I pray she busts out soon!  Sooo happy for you....Huge huge huge congrats to our FIRST August baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥

Joined 27-Jan-06

26-Jul-09 9:59 am
Wow! Wow! and Wow! I've checked daily to see if you have delivered and boy you delivered a story! I sit here 36 weeks 1 day pg with our long awaited dd and as much as I would like for her to come out today I think I will pray for another week. Did you receive a steriod injection? Probably not, since you said you do not like needles. I am so happy to hear she is doing better and I pray you get some snuggle time today. My first ds was in the NICU for 2 weeks at 33 weeks ges. It was a very difficult time and for that you have my well wishes. Welcome to the world Caroline! Hugs,

chris (previous username mama_to3boys)

Baby Boy 99  Baby Boy 02 Baby Boy 05 Baby Boy 07 Baby Girl BABY EVELYN CHRISTINE ARRIVED 8-1-2009!!!!!

Two very missed babies...2001 and 2008

Jojo

Joined 1-Aug-06

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 10:17 am

Welcome Caroline!  What a story.  Glad she is doing well.  I really miss living so close to Hopkins!  She is in great hands!

Mom to 4 beautiful children and 3 angel babies Baby BoyBaby BoyBaby GirlBaby Boy
Heartbroken March 2011  Heartbroken June 2011 Heartbroken November 2011 lost our baby Baby Bear Boy at 18 weeksSad

Preggo again! Due 12-25-13

*Joe~Ann~Mae*

Joined 17-Mar-08

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 10:20 am

Our 1st August Momma/Baby!!!!  So happy for you and I pray that she continues to get healthy!  Can not wait to see pics of your Princess Caroline!!!Hearts

SO VERY BLESSED!!!!!

Joined 12-Jun-09

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 10:25 am

I will be praying she gets to come home soon.  CONGRATS on your Princess!!!!!!!!!!!

Baby Boy-09/04/03...Aidan Michael     Baby Boy-12/31/06...Bryce Earl (not my pick..Earl)

Baby Boy-07/12/08...Chase Stephen   Baby Girl-12/05/09...Emalee Nora

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Philippians 4:6-7 Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Helen

Joined 27-Jan-08

26-Jul-09 10:39 am

Congratulations!  So glad everything turned out ok and your beautiful Caroline will be home with you and the rest of your family very soon.  I can't wait to see the photo's!

Much love!

Helen x

Helen Baby Boy 1994 Baby Boy 2002 Baby Boy 2004 Baby Girl due August

Joined 18-Apr-07

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 4:00 pm

Congratulations on your new baby girl!!!

Due March 2011

Joined 20-Sep-08

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 4:06 pm

I'm sorry your little girl has had such a rough start! I hope she comes home soon. Congrats! Happy Celebrate

Trio Mommy to:  Baby Bear Boy8 Baby Bear Boy4 Baby Bear Girl2

Done having babies and working on the mommy buldge!

Currently doing supreme 90 days, eating healthy and saving my pennys for a tummy tuck!!! :)

Joined 19-Apr-07

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 4:07 pm

Congrats on your new princess!!!  Hopefully she'll be out and home soon!

Blessed mommy to Devin(12/06) and Kyla (9/09)

Joined 2-Dec-08

Top Poster
26-Jul-09 5:37 pm

Congrats on your daughter, hope she is home with her family soon!

Baby Boy 2005, Baby Boy 2007, Heartbroken 2008, Baby Boy 2009, Heartbroken 2010, Baby Girl  2011

Page: of 2