Here is the summary I wrote after looking at 400 charts.
To try to figure out what really works in gender swaying, I analyzed 200 girl charts and 200 boy charts in FF, paying particular attention to CM and BD patterns from five days before ovulation to the day after ovulation. This is what I found.
Note: "ewcm" in the descriptions below refers to eggwhite OR watery cm - not just eggwhite cm. Also, be sure to keep in the mind than just by chance, the odds of having a girl are 49% and the chances of having a boy are 51%. The percentages below should be compared to those base numbers.
1. Does BD on ovulation favor boys?
Not really. It slightly favors boys, but the influence isn't much greater than chance.
Out of the 200 girl charts, 112 (56% of charts) had BD on ovulation. Out of the 200 boy charts, 123 had BD on ovulation (61.5% of charts).
- Thus BD on ovulation results in a 47.7% chance of a girl (112/235), and a 52.3% chance of a boy (123/235) - which isn't much different than chance.
The amount of CM on ovulation does seem to sway things one way or the other, though.
- 161 charts had ewcm on ovulation: 70 girl charts (70/161 = 43.5%), and 91 boy charts (91/161 = 56.5%)
- 74 charts did not have ewcm on ovulation: 42 girl charts (42/74 = 56.8%), and 32 boy charts (32/74 = 43.2%).
Conclusion: A majority of all charts have BD on ovulation, and BD on ovulation has no significant effect on gender. While it slightly favors boys (52.3%), this is almost the same as chance. The kind of CM present is more significant. If ewcm is present, there is a stronger chance of a boy (56.5%), but if it is not, girls are favored (56.8%).
2. Does frequent BD through Ovulation favor girls?
No. I have found no evidence that frequent BD - particularly through ovulation - favors girls. If anything, there is a slight preference for boys.
The number of BD times between the boy and girl charts are virtually the same. The 200 girl charts had 693 BD times, for an average of 3.47 times. The 200 boy charts had 700 BD times, for an average of 3.5 times. In overall amounts of BD, there is essentially no difference between boy and girl charts.
The number of charts with frequent BD (4 BD times or more) was also very similar, with 92 girl charts and 96 boy charts. The boy charts had slightly more BDing than the girl charts, but the numbers were still about the same. (Girl charts: 444 BD times on 92 charts = an average of 4.83 times; Boy charts: 470 BD times on 96 charts = an average of 4.9 times)
The frequency rate of BD was also similar. The girl charts had: 46 charts w/4 BD times, 26 charts w/5 BD times, 12 charts w/6 BD times, and 8 charts w/7+ BD times. The boy charts had: 43 charts w/4 BD times, 30 charts w/5 BD times, 16 charts w/6 BD times, and 7 charts w/7+ BD times.
If the frequent BD includes BD on the day of ovulation, boys result the most often.
- Of the 92 girl charts, 64 had BD on ovulation (69.6% of the girl charts)
- Of the 96 boy charts, 77 had BD on ovulation (80.2% of the boy charts).
- So out of these 141 frequent BD charts with BD on ovulation, girls resulted 45.4% of the time (64/141) and boys resulted 54.6% of the time (77/141).
However, looking at the 47 charts with frequent BD that avoided ovulation, the balance tips towards girls. 59.6% of these charts produced girls (28/47), but only 40.4% produced boys (19/47).
Consecutive BD (BD for at least 4 consecutive times with no gaps in the last 4 times of BD) also did not favor girls except when there were 7 or more consecutive BD days.
- Out of the 58 charts with this pattern, the results were exactly even: 29 girl charts and 29 boy charts.
- Out of the 38 charts with at least 5 consecutive times, boys were preferred: 18 produced girls (18/38 = 47.4%), and 20 produced boys (20/38 = 52.6%.)
- Out of the 21 charts with at least 6 consecutive times, boys were even more strongly favored: 9 produced girls (9/21 = 42.9%), and 12 produced boys (12/21 = 57.1%).
- However, with at least 7 consecutive days, it shifted to a preference for girls. In 11 charts, 7 produced a girl (7/11 = 63.6%), and 4 produced boys (4/11 = 36.4%).
The pattern that most clearly favored girls was consecutive BD (BD for at least 4 consecutive days with no gaps in the last 4 times of BD) that avoided ovulation. 7 charts followed this pattern: 6 girls (6/7 = 85.7%), 1 boy (1/7 = 14.3%). This sample is so small, though, that the results aren't totally reliable.
Conclusion: Frequent BD by itself does not appear to be an effective method for swaying for a girl.
- Boy and girl charts have almost identical amounts of BD overall, very similar numbers of charts with frequent BD (4 or more BD times), and very similar frequency rates (that is, how many charts have 4 BD times, 5 BD times, etc.). When a preference appears in the charts, frequent BD most often shows a slight preference for boys.
- However, frequent BDing did favor girls if BDing on ovulation was avoided (59.6% preference for girls). If there was BD for at least 4 consecutive times with no gaps in the last 4 times of BD - and if the BD avoided ovulation - girls were even more strongly favored (85.7%). However, since the sample is small (only 7 charts) this last finding isn't totally reliable.
- If frequent BD is really as effective in swaying for a girl as people say, it is my guess that it is the combination of taking supplements, keeping ph down, AND frequent BD that works, since I have found no evidence that frequent BDing by itself has any significant effect on gender determination.
3. Does one time BD favor boys?
Not really. There is a slight preference for boys, but the overall numbers are very similar and the preference for boys isn't much greater than chance.
38 charts had only one BD session - 18 girl charts and 20 boy charts.
While the numbers of charts with one-time BDing were similar, the pattern of BDing was significant.
- 15 boy and 7 girl charts had the BD on ovulation or the day before. (68.2% chance for a boy on those two days.)
- 3 boy and 6 girls charts had the BD 2 or 3 days before ovulation. (66.7% chance for a girl on those days.)
- 2 boy and 4 girl charts had the BD 4 to 6 days before ovulation. (66.7% chance for a girl.)
Conclusion: Single time BDing by itself does not appear to particularly favor boys, but if BDing only occurs one time, the day it occurs is significant. BDing on ovulation or the day before results in a 68.2% preference for boys, BDing 2 or 3 days before ovulation results in a 66.7% preference for girls, and BDing 4-6 days before ovulation also favors girls 66.7%. (The samples for one-time BDing more than 2 days before ovulation are quite small, particularly for BDing more than 4 days before ovulation, so the results aren't totally reliable.) Another notable conclusion is that BD 1 time is not the most effective way to get pregnant. Only 9.5% of all the charts I looked at (38/400) had this pattern.
4. Does BD without ewcm favor girls?
Yes. If there is little to no ewcm during BD times, girls are more likely to result.
Boy and girl charts have similar amounts of ewcm overall, but there is a slightly greater percentage of ewcm when BD occurs on boy charts. The boy charts had 700 BD times and 461 of those times had ewcm (65.9%). The girl charts had 693 BD times and 426 of those days had ewcm (61.5%).
However, charts that had either no ewcm when BD or only 1 day of BD with ewcm did favor girls. 138 charts had these patterns: 79 girl charts (79/138, 57.2%), and 59 boy charts (59/138, 42.8%).
- If there was no ewcm when BD, girls were favored: girl charts 27/50 (54%), boy charts 23/50 (46%).
- If there was only one day of BD with ewcm, girls were favored: girl charts 52/89 (58.4%), boy charts 37/89 (41.6%)
- If there was a cut-off of BDing with ewcm (BDing with ewcm ended at least 2 days before ovulation), girls were even more strongly favored: girl charts 27/39 (69.2%), boy charts 12/39 (30.8%)
Conclusion: Limiting the amount of ewcm on days when BD occurs favors girls, as does having a cut-off of at least two days of BDing with ewcm (NOT a cut-off of BD period).
5. Do cut-offs of at least 2 days favor girls?
Yes. Cut-offs produce more girls than boys.
More girl charts than boy charts had cut-offs (BD ends no later than 2 days before ovulation).
- 30 Girl Charts: 2 day: 16, 3 day: 10, 4 day: 3, 5 day: 1, 6 day: 0
- 19 Boy Charts: 2 day: 12, 3 day: 4, 4 day: 2, 5 day: 0, 6 day: 1
Cut-offs of at least 2 days favored girls (30/49 = 61.2%), and cut-offs of 2 to 3 days also favored girls (26/42 = 61.9%). Cut-offs of 4 days or more also favored girls, but to a smaller exent (4/7 = 57.1%), but since this is a very small sample, the findings aren't totally reliable.
Curiously, girl charts had more ewcm on BD days (girls 34/60 = 56.7% of the time, boys 19/37 = 51.4% of the time), and girl charts had more ewcm on the last day of the cut-off (girls 22/30 = 73.3%, boys 10/19 = 52.6%).
- 68.8% of the charts with ewcm on the last day of the cut-off produced girls (22/32).
Conclusion: Cut-offs favor girls, particularly if the cut-off is only 2-3 days (61.9%) and if there is ewcm on the last day of the cut-off (68.8%).
Based on the results from my analysis, these are my swaying recommendations.
Swaying for a boy recommendations:
1. BD on ovulation w/ewcm. BDing on ovulation favors boys slightly (52.3%), and if ewcm is present, boys are more significantly favored (56.5%).
2. Have one-shot BDing, the day before or day of ovulation. Charts with one-time BDing are more likely to produce boys if the BDing occurs on ovulation or the day before. (68.2%)
3. Increase your ewcm. This is a significantly weaker suggestion than my others since I didn't specifically look FOR ewcm on charts. However, boy charts did have slightly more ewcm than girl charts (65.9% to 61.5%). Plus, if one should dry up ewcm to sway for a girl it makes sense to encourage ewcm for a boy.
Swaying for a girl recommendations:
1. Avoid BDing on ovulation. If you do BD on ovulation, make sure you don't have any ewcm. BDing on ovulation favors boys slightly (52.3%). However, a majority of girl charts still feature BDing on ovulation (56%), so it's not like BDing on that day is going to ruin your chances of having a girl. But if you want to increase your girl chances, avoid having any ewcm that particular day. BDing on ovulation without ewcm favors girls (56.8%).
2. Have frequent BDing (4+ BDing times) that avoids ovulation. Even better, have frequent consecutive BDing times (4+ BDing times where the last 4 BDing times are consecutive) that avoids ovulation. If frequent BDing avoids ovulation, girls are favored (59.6%). If the frequent BD has at least 4 consecutive BD times and the BD avoids ovulation, girls are even more strongly favored (85.7%). (This last finding isn't totally reliable as it is a small sample.) 7+ consecutive BDing times also favors girls (63.6%).
3. Have one-shot BDing, 2-3 days before ovulation. Charts with one-time BDing are more likely to produce girls if the BDing occurs 2-3 days before ovulation. (66.7%) (This finding isn't totally reliable since it is a small sample, but it is supported by the finding that cut-offs produce more girls.)
4. Dry up your ewcm. If there is no ewcm at all, girls are favored (54%). If there is only one day of ewcm, girls are favored (58.4%). And if there is at least a 2 day cut-off of BDing with ewcm (NOT a cut-off of BDing period), girls are favored (69.2%).
5. Have a cut-off of 2-3 days of BDing. Cut-offs of at least 2 days favored girls (61.2%), and cut-offs of 2 to 3 days favored girls even more (61.9%). Cut-offs of 4+ days favored girls to a smaller exent (57.1%), but since this is a very small sample, the findings aren't totally reliable. Also, if you choose to do a cut-off, you don't necessarily want to dry up your ewcm. Oddly, girl charts with a cut-off had more ewcm on BD days (56.7% of the time), and had more ewcm on the last day of the cut-off (68.8% of charts).
One thing to keep in mind is that the only things I looked at in my analysis are BD timing and cm. There are many factors that influence gender (not the least of which is chance) and most of them don't show up on the FF charts. While some of the swaying methods identified above seem to favor one gender or the other, they are at best 55% to 70% effective. This means that instead of having a 5 in 10 chance of having your desired gender, you may have a 6 - or if you are really lucky, 7 - chance in 10 of having your desired gender. Any "effective" swaying technique is still going to produce a lot of opposites.
For instance, the fact that lots of boys are produced from cut-offs doesn't mean that cut-offs don't work - careful analysis of 400 charts suggests cut-offs do favor girls. The thing is, cut-offs don't favor girls that much and many opposites are going to be conceived with that swaying technique. The same can be said for the other methods that favor boys or girls. For that reason, when swaying, I think to have the best chance of conceiving your desired gender it is best to try to find several things that influence gender and not rely on just one.
It is perhaps not surprising that swaying isn't totally effective considering that Microsort - the only scientifically proven swaying method - is only about 90% effective. In many ways this ineffectiveness is a positive thing. We can do everything "right" and still get an opposite, and we can do everything "wrong" and still get our preferred gender. No matter what happens in our swaying journey, since chance plays a large role in whatever gender we end up with, there is little reason to "blame" ourselves if our swaying methods fail.